Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneylover
    • By moneylover 19th Jun 12, 9:02 PM
    • 1,625Posts
    • 408Thanks
    moneylover
    0 WOW
    Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted?
    • 19th Jun 12, 9:02 PM
    0 WOW
    Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted? 19th Jun 12 at 9:02 PM
    Have been dithering over National Trust membership for husband and myself wondering if I will get enough use to pay almost 70. We are going to Northern Ireland for a few days and will go to a couple of properties and several beaches where you pay for parking so would get some good use right away.
    Just wondered if there were any offers anyone knew of? Thank you
Page 10
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 5th Apr 15, 8:09 AM
    • 6,246 Posts
    • 2,669 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Just point out that NZ/Scot/Bermuda NT does NOT include parking at NT places, weather anyone has ever been "Done" for it is a different matter.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 5th Apr 15, 8:28 AM
    • 3,127 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    JReacher1
    For what it is worth the cheapest of all options is to join the National Trust of Bermuda. Family membership (2 adults + 2 kids) 25 and full access to NT UK properties - can't do better than that!
    Originally posted by woodville
    Thanks for this! I have family in Bermuda so when I am over there in a couple of months I'll pick one up :-)
    • johnson293
    • By johnson293 5th Apr 15, 10:25 AM
    • 470 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    johnson293
    13 hours!

I obviously think what you are doing is wrong.

I wonder what they will think?

Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 07:31:42 +0100
    That UK citizens are taking out membership of heritage New Zealand to get free entry into UK sites?
    Originally posted by qetu1357

WOW - you really wont let this go, will you?

As for what those two organisations think, I'm sure if NT were so bothered, they would have closed the loophole long ago, especially with so many people as annoyed as yourself emailing them about it.

You've don't seem to have mentioned English Heritage losing out through this loophole - are you not as bothered about them, then?

Anyway, I'm sure Heritage New Zealand will appreciate receiving my $95 membership fee, which they have never received from me before, and wouldn't have had I not read this thread.

I feel good that after supporting the National Trust for the last two years with a family membership fee, I am now supporting another Heritage Organisation.

Cheers to those who suggested the NZ membership.

• momtothree
    • By momtothree 5th Apr 15, 7:41 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    momtothree
    I wish they'd just let you have the direct debit discount every year if you pay in full. I love being a member but 104 is a lot of money.
    I don't think I'd be brave enough to rock up with a different membership card! I'm guessing it'd look totally different to the Orange cards that are issued atm?

It seems to be full price on the website atm anyway. I wonder if there will be any offers coming up, mine runs out in June so was just looking to see what was out there now.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 6th Apr 15, 5:20 AM
    • 6,246 Posts
    • 2,669 Thanks
    roddydogs
    I wish they'd just let you have the direct debit discount every year if you pay in full. I love being a member but 104 is a lot of money.
    I don't think I'd be brave enough to rock up with a different membership card! I'm guessing it'd look totally different to the Orange cards that are issued atm?

It seems to be full price on the website atm anyway. I wonder if there will be any offers coming up, mine runs out in June so was just looking to see what was out there now.
    Originally posted by momtothree
    See post 185.
    • johnson293
    • By johnson293 14th Apr 15, 5:45 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    johnson293
    Our HNZ card arrived today.

Try and get out and give it a go this weekend, weather permitting.

EDIT: Used our HNZ card today at an English Heritage property with no problems whatsoever - guy on till checked the card, and said 'yeah, thats fine'.

If weathers good, gonna try it at a Local NT site tomorrow.
    Last edited by johnson293; 18-04-2015 at 5:17 PM. Reason: Added Info
    • theloft
    • By theloft 20th May 15, 8:13 AM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    theloft
    I know this site is all about saving money, but resorting to join overseas National Trusts etc. is really a step too far. The person who rejoins as a new customer each year, has it about right I think. At least some money is going to the organisation that has the cost of upkeep of these wonderful buildings and grounds we all love to visit. I used to use the Scottish National Trust membership but with the arrival of the SNP and possibly independence not far away, I am sticking with the English National Trust.
    Come on be a patriot!!
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
    • qetu1357
    • By qetu1357 21st May 15, 5:27 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    qetu1357
    Well said.

For some on this site, they think ethics is a county near Suffolk.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 25th May 15, 1:32 PM
    • 6,950 Posts
    • 19,806 Thanks
    Doc N
    Back to the original point of the thread (Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted)...............

Life membership would be a great gift for a new grandchild - presumably no way of getting a discount on it?

Topcashback and Quidco don't seem to work for life memberships, which is a shame.

A Scottish life membership would be cheaper, but there's no assurance that the current reciprocal arrangements will last indefinitely.
    • monkeyspanner
    • By monkeyspanner 26th Jun 15, 6:39 AM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 1,933 Thanks
    monkeyspanner
    Discount for National Trust
    Normally you will find 3months free (25% discount) if you sign up for direct debit membership. Current code is D15006. This is auto renew so just cancel the direct debit when its paid. You will get a reminder to pay ignore it and look for another deal next year.
    • deejaybee
    • By deejaybee 26th Jun 15, 9:00 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    deejaybee
    NT should do a parking permit for those of us who are not bothered about visiting NT properties..

Some NT beach car parks near me, but they have new staff now who don't let you in with last years car sticker
    • momtothree
    • By momtothree 6th Jul 15, 6:15 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    momtothree
    Thanks monkeyspanner for the discount code, have just signed up again and got it for 78. Couldn't find a code via Google yesterday!
    • KRDmum
    • By KRDmum 6th Jul 15, 4:52 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    KRDmum
    Does Scottish pass gives you free parking in England?
    • theloft
    • By theloft 7th Jul 15, 4:25 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    theloft
    Does Scottish pass gives you free parking in England?
    Originally posted by KRDmum
    YES ! Exactly the same facilities a NT members but no badge.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
    • ABN
    • By ABN 8th Jul 15, 2:42 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    ABN
    No badge=No free parking.
    • KRDmum
    • By KRDmum 8th Jul 15, 10:55 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    KRDmum
    So I live on Scotland but have to join English site to get free parking? That's a bit odd, isn't it?
    • KRDmum
    • By KRDmum 8th Jul 15, 10:58 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    KRDmum
    I might as well join the NZ one to save some money
    • theloft
    • By theloft 9th Jul 15, 7:45 AM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    theloft
    So I live on Scotland but have to join English site to get free parking? That's a bit odd, isn't it?
    Originally posted by KRDmum
    Previous poster ABN is quite wrong about the parking. It is your membership card which you show on arrival that gets you free parking, NOT the badge. You can pick up this year's badge on EBay for 99p and up if you must have one, also handbooks are freely available on there. So do not worry, membership of NTS will get you exactly the same treatment at NT England sites as other members. We have been members of NTScotland for some years and now live in England so we do know what we are talking about. Some people mistakenly think that you buy a badge on EBay and get free parking, not true!
    Last edited by theloft; 09-07-2015 at 7:49 AM.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 9th Jul 15, 8:16 AM
    • 6,246 Posts
    • 2,669 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Previous poster ABN is quite wrong about the parking. It is your membership card which you show on arrival that gets you free parking, NOT the badge. You can pick up this year's badge on EBay for 99p and up if you must have one, also handbooks are freely available on there. So do not worry, membership of NTS will get you exactly the same treatment at NT England sites as other members. We have been members of NTScotland for some years and now live in England so we do know what we are talking about. Some people mistakenly think that you buy a badge on EBay and get free parking, not true!
    Originally posted by theloft
    Depends where you go, all the places ive been to you park first, you dont show your membership card to get in the car park, they presumably check by the badge. The fact that you can "Get Away" with free parking when your supposed to pay, ie by buying a badge on e-bay, or whatever, dosnt make it legal to do so.
    • theloft
    • By theloft 9th Jul 15, 3:30 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    theloft
    Depends where you go, all the places ive been to you park first, you dont show your membership card to get in the car park, they presumably check by the badge. The fact that you can "Get Away" with free parking when your supposed to pay, ie by buying a badge on e-bay, or whatever, dosnt make it legal to do so.
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    I do agree with you that they do not check your membership in car parks at all places, but they do so at some of the premier sites on weekends particularly. BUT, the point I was making is that ABN stated No badge - No parking, which is completely wrong as you suggest. Also you may get into car parks with or without a badge, but entry to the attraction will not be allowed without membership card or payment.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,373Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @womensaid: Financial abuse is a form of domestic violence. We were delighted to advise on this article - no woman experiencing financia?

• Joint accounts, financial abuse and managing money in relationships - what every couple needs to know. My new blog? https://t.co/L3yAkncV0c

• Two weeks ago I tweeted about sensitive teeth and unbidden Colgate sent me their sensitive tooth paste. Last week? https://t.co/hV2wFPGKWh

• Follow Martin