Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 16th Mar 12, 4:47 PM
    • 1,236Posts
    • 3,568Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MSE Local eBay Deals tool discussion
    • 16th Mar 12, 4:47 PM
    MSE Local eBay Deals tool discussion 16th Mar 12 at 4:47 PM

Hi all, we've built a new Local eBay Deals Mapper tool find pick-up only bargains near you.

If you could let us know what you think, that would be fab. How are the results for you? Is there anything you'd like to see added?

Thanks
    for your help!

MSE Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 21-03-2012 at 9:13 AM.
Page 2
  • toffe
    There are already several such sites that do this such as BayCrazy (which has all kinds of Ebay searches, not just local ones) Although this works fine, why would MSE want to be bothered with it?
    Originally posted by QuackQuackOops
    because they are affiliate linked, all of these "tools" are, so when you find something you like and buy it the owner of the "tool" gets some affiliate commission.
    ......"A wise man once told me don't argue with fools because people from a distance can't tell who is who"........
    • QuackQuackOops
    • By QuackQuackOops 18th Mar 12, 9:32 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    QuackQuackOops
    because they are affiliate linked, all of these "tools" are, so when you find something you like and buy it the owner of the "tool" gets some affiliate commission.
    Originally posted by toffe
    Not the way I do it.

I have Ebay on my account opened on one window and then search for local items on another. If I see something I like, I then go to my ordinary account and bid from there.

The reason why I do that, is that my window is linked through Quidco, so I get the commision.

I didnt think many regulars on MSE would buy something from a link on here when they can use Quidco etc.
    • steveo3002
    • By steveo3002 19th Mar 12, 8:12 AM
    • 2,706 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    steveo3002
    would be nice to have the sellers location or postcode visable without clicking the map
    • thelawnet
    • By thelawnet 21st Mar 12, 1:25 AM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 1,692 Thanks
    thelawnet
    There are already several such sites that do this such as BayCrazy (which has all kinds of Ebay searches, not just local ones) Although this works fine, why would MSE want to be bothered with it?
    Originally posted by QuackQuackOops
    This is just another tool to skim off commission from an already popular site without really adding any value.

Like the Amazon Deal Finder (which got wheeled out pre-Christmas, yet doesn't work properly), this doesn't do anything that wouldn't be better done on ebay.

Example, I would quite like a new bicycle, so I just go to ebay, and to

then I select 'distance < 10 miles' on the left.

Or 'sort by distance'.

I don't see any advantage to use the MSE tool at all.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 21st Mar 12, 7:34 AM
    • 2,258 Posts
    • 5,095 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Not sure what the limits are on the resulting listings - if I pick ending soon I get a different list to newly listed - but would expect, it to be, more or less, the same list but in the opposite order. It's clearly only giving the top X number of listings in each report - but how would I get the next batch - can't see a 'next page' button.

Also, in choosing the cars category it comes up with nothing. Which is clearly nonsense as i know there are cars being sold within 5 miles of me on Ebay (I'm selling one myself). So it's obviously NOT working for that.

My own version, saved as a search on my account, saerches for items within 10 miles with the search:

(("cash on collection", "buyer must collect", "collection only", "local pick-up", "local pickup", "no postage", "pick up only", "pickup only", "unable to post", "needs to be collected", "Collection in Person only", "can't post"))

Not infallible, but it comes up with some useful stuff - and more than MSE's version does! So I think the MSE's version needs a little tweaking...
  • shammyjack
    The MSE tool is poor and only scratches the surface !

It only picks up 50% of what my standard ebay search for local items does.

Canny ebay buyers have had their own search tools for years .
    • custardy
    • By custardy 21st Mar 12, 12:09 PM
    • 34,547 Posts
    • 29,281 Thanks
    custardy
    The MSE tool is poor and only scratches the surface !

It only picks up 50% of what my standard ebay search for local items does.

Canny ebay buyers have had their own search tools for years .
    Originally posted by shammyjack
    I just don't know why folks dont save their custom searches
    I get email updates for searches on pretty specific stuff
    then I go into my eBay to do manual searches on the likes of general local stuff
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 22nd Mar 12, 9:05 PM
    • 2,600 Posts
    • 5,110 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    Fail!

Since when was MSE short for Money Spending Expert?

Surely all this is going to do is encourage people to buy stuff they don't want/need.

If you want to waste your money go ahead.

But before you do why not try an eBay search -

Choose the advanced search option

Select your chosen category.

Tick the Auction, Free P&P, Collect in person boxes

Enter your postcode & the chosen distance.

Choose your desired sort by option.

then Search

Now compare to the MSE search. Similar?

Okay the eBay search may have one or two items with free P&P on the list but it will also have all the collection only. And with lots of other useful filtering options such as refining the category, limiting the price range, and best of all, entering a description.

With a bit of practice you'll be able to use it to find something instead of anything.
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 24th Mar 12, 12:55 AM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 5,762 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    What a fantastic idea - did MSE come up with one this all by themselves...?!
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 24th Mar 12, 12:57 AM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 5,762 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    Now, how about one for eBid ?.
    Originally posted by patman99

Ebid do not have an affiliate payout system based on sold items, so no incentive for MSE to "create" such a tool...
  • Skyliner
    preferences
    Is there a way of customising the search panel, rather than having to change it each time - for instance, in my case I should like to change it to 20 miles and newly-listed, rather than the default settings.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th Jul 12, 1:09 PM
    • 34,547 Posts
    • 29,281 Thanks
    custardy
    Is there a way of customising the search panel, rather than having to change it each time - for instance, in my case I should like to change it to 20 miles and newly-listed, rather than the default settings.
    Originally posted by Skyliner
    just set a search in ebay with your parameters
    save the search
    job done
  • Skyliner
    preferences
    Thank you.
    • JohnGeddes
    • By JohnGeddes 25th Sep 12, 6:27 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JohnGeddes
    Very useful - would be even better if ...
    For those asking Why? - this is certainly a useful tool for those in a rural area where it is realistic to browse everything for sale within a few miles: something eBay doesn't let you do. eBay insists you choose categories - sometimes I'm just interested in looking at everything nearby: I might be tempted by something heavy but cheap that I hadn't realised I needed!

What would be even better would be to be able to sort on Delivery Charge (count "Collection Only" as 999, so these items come first): the higher the delivery cost, the greater the relative advantage of living nearby.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 25th Sep 12, 12:18 PM
    • 34,547 Posts
    • 29,281 Thanks
    custardy
    For those asking Why? - this is certainly a useful tool for those in a rural area where it is realistic to browse everything for sale within a few miles: something eBay doesn't let you do. eBay insists you choose categories - sometimes I'm just interested in looking at everything nearby: I might be tempted by something heavy but cheap that I hadn't realised I needed!

What would be even better would be to be able to sort on Delivery Charge (count "Collection Only" as 999, so these items come first): the higher the delivery cost, the greater the relative advantage of living nearby.
    Originally posted by JohnGeddes
    um these 'tools' simply use eBays own search tools
    you set the search term,and then the filters of distance etc

eg for local stuff,

("cash on collection", "buyer must collect", "collection only", "no postage", "pick up only", "unable to post", "needs to be collected", "Collection in Person only", "can't post")
    • andyrich666
    • By andyrich666 24th Oct 12, 11:03 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    andyrich666
    Add items to watch list, tick box missing
    It could do with a box at the side to tick and add to 'my watch list'

this would save quite a bit of time

BTW is this app was to buy I would pay for it, I have done out my whole house with this and my van
    • squirl88
    • By squirl88 3rd Mar 13, 4:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    squirl88
    Ebay local deals mapper
    Hi,

Brilliant tool for finding local bargains but why cant I find MY OWN item using this tool. My postcode has been entered correctly on my item. Is it anything to do with my settings on Ebay? Many thanks.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 3rd Mar 13, 5:15 PM
    • 34,547 Posts
    • 29,281 Thanks
    custardy
    Hi,

Brilliant tool for finding local bargains but why cant I find MY OWN item using this tool. My postcode has been entered correctly on my item. Is it anything to do with my settings on Ebay? Many thanks.
    Originally posted by squirl88
    how long since you listed it?
    • GabbaGabbaHey
    • By GabbaGabbaHey 3rd Mar 13, 6:07 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    GabbaGabbaHey
    you can set up these searches with eBay and save them
    ("cash on collection", "buyer must collect", "collection only", "no postage", "pick up only", "unable to post", "needs to be collected", "Collection in Person only", "can't post")
    Originally posted by custardy
    Actually, the example you give will not work. eBay's search engine's syntax requires there to be no space after the commas to perform a logical OR, so you actually need to use:
    ("cash on collection","buyer must collect","collection only","no postage","pick up only","unable to post","needs to be collected","Collection in Person only","can't post")
    (Note no spaces after the commas).
    Philip
    • custardy
    • By custardy 3rd Mar 13, 7:52 PM
    • 34,547 Posts
    • 29,281 Thanks
    custardy
    Actually, the example you give will not work. eBay's search engine's syntax requires there to be no space after the commas to perform a logical OR, so you actually need to use:
    ("cash on collection","buyer must collect","collection only","no postage","pick up only","unable to post","needs to be collected","Collection in Person only","can't post")
    (Note no spaces after the commas).
    Originally posted by GabbaGabbaHey
    copy it into an ebay search box and try it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,153Posts Today

7,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Follow Martin