How to get a tax rebate inc Tax Code Checker

Comments

• Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SapKnight wrote: »
    OK thanks, can you let us know in here when you have fixed it?
    I was starting to spend that £400 x 3(for the last 3years) in my head lol - dont get my hopes up like that again :rotfl:

The 'glitch' (see the quote referred to) wasn't related to your post. As MSE Dan correctly says - Code 603L is the basic code for 08-09. Are you sure you're quoting it correctly? Should be 647 for 09-10 and 10-11 if you have no company benefits / underpayments for previous years.

You should have a P2 (Coding Notice)?
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    MSE_Dan wrote: »
    Hi, this is down to a glitch that we are currently fixing - thanks for flagging them up

Edit - should now be fixed. SapKnight, I have asked you a further question below

Ta

That's more like it, now calculates an allowance of £6640 which is correct, based just on the age and income.

It would still be helpfull if a note was added to mention the State Pension since this has by far the biggest impact on the tax code for anyone receiving the State Pension (Since it is not taxed at source)
  • Thanks for all the great feedback so far. We're glad this seems to be helping people, and will look at including anything else that seems helpful

Cheers

Dan
    Former MSE team member
  • Is there a way you can work any of it out when you have a company car?
  • Just checked my husband's code and there is a difference of £2045 in 2009/2010 :eek: According to the figures he should be getting a personal allowance of £6475 but has been getting between £4430 - £4439.

I know he did get a rebate of over £800 earlier in the year but his tax code has never been changed and his wage has actually gone down this year. Will need to get him to look into it.
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at £151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015 :)
  • just checked on behalf of my OH and there is over £900 difference for every tax year from 05/06 to 09/10 and a possibility of an error in his tax code for 10/11. he has been in the same job since leaving the army in 2005 and ive always told him he is overpaying his tax. he is going to ring HMRC when he finishes at 2pm. Will update you all later!
    ;)
  • Thank you so much for this guys. I've been chasing HMRC since February this year because I've been paying on a 489T tax code since January 2006:eek: This was resolved and I'm now on a 647L code.

I know that HMRC are busy at the moment but has anyone got any advice to hurry them along a bit (redundancy looming at the end of this month so any extra cash is helpful)? They have requested some info regarding Job Seekers allowance that I claimed in 2004 (2 months worth) before the rebate is actioned. This has been sent but it struck me as a little odd as it is out of the scope of my claim. Any ideas why they will need that?

Once again, thanks MSE for this checker:beer:
  • Just checked my tax code and they owe me £505 from this year, plus about the same for the last two years. Rang HMRC and I was shocked how easy it was to deal with and how simple! Thanks Martin !!!!
  • LeonW
    LeonW Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MSE_Dan wrote: »
    Hi, this is down to a glitch that we are currently fixing - thanks for flagging them up

Edit - should now be fixed. SapKnight, I have asked you a further question below

Ta

I'm not sure it is fixed. I'm 65 this year (Oct) and my total income for tax year 2010/11 is £27215 (2 private pensions + OAP for this tax year) the calculator says my code should be 733 but this has to be further reduced by my OAP for this year of £2360 to 497 - which is the tax code that HMRC has given me. It looks as if it's still not correct for people over 65 can you check it please ?
  • Great tool to make people aware of checking their tax codes. For me, however, on State Pension, it doesn't seem to work very well. I have checked my tax on my own spreadsheet, so I know it's correct, but Martin's tax code checker (if I have used it correctly) doesn't seem to be helpful.
    Apologies, of course, if I'm wrong.

Regards
    Jen
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family