PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Comments

• Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    For men it can be very much easier, especially for the follicle challenged. Get a pair of electric hair clippers and just take the lot off depending on the setting. A pair of clippers might pay for themselves in 6 months or less, faster if you had fancy hair cuts before. I have had pair for years and no more hair dresser pay outs.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,835
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Mr F used to visit a barber but then I started to trim his hair and beard. I was rubbish at the job when I started - well I think so - Mr F never complained. Practice has made me a lot more competent and Mr F saves money. We started off using a pair of hair clippers that were gifted to us. These have been replaced and we have a separate beard trimmer. Just say to Mr F - I don't go much on his tips!
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 1277/2024 March - 1384/406
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 First 4 Week Period £11.75/£100 2nd £33.71/£100 3rd £57.13/£100 4th £13.65/£100 NSD - 60
    2024 Craft Makes - 113 Craft Spends 2024 £205.99/£500
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you shop in Aldi's or Lidl's go prepared with bags rather than pay for them but also look out for the large floor standing cardboard crates left out which have boxes in them for customers to save you having to buy carrier bags. I always keep one in my car spare in case I need it but extra tend to get used again after the shopping for storage or broken down and used as fire lighters.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • givememoney
    givememoney Posts: 1,224
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Frugalsod wrote: »
    For men it can be very much easier, especially for the follicle challenged. Get a pair of electric hair clippers and just take the lot off depending on the setting. A pair of clippers might pay for themselves in 6 months or less, faster if you had fancy hair cuts before. I have had pair for years and no more hair dresser pay outs.

I have cut DH hair since I met him 41 years ago. Easier now as not much left and I just use clippers now.
    Must have saved a fortune
  • djjunk
    djjunk Posts: 313
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    This is just so easy, I'm growing spring onions, wish I'd done it years ago.

Check out this link for regrowing veg on your windowsill.

http://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/10-vegetables-herbs-you-can-eat-once-and-regrow-forever-0150343/

:TThis is the best so far. I do not think I'll buy spring onions ever again . So Angela, thanks a lot for a great tip
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Royal Mail are increasing the price of postage stamps again on Monday March 31st 2014 so if you use a lot of postage stamps, stock up before this date and buy your Christmas card stamps Early. First Class stamps will increase by 2p to 62p and Second Class by 3p to 53p . Large Letter stamps (First Class ) will rise by 3p to 93p, Large Letter (Second Class) will increase by 4p to 73p.
  • SJG123
    SJG123 Posts: 38 Forumite
    I like to outsmart all of the toiletries / cosmetics companies who put their products in solid plastic bottles so that you cant get the last bit out.

I use treseme shampoo and condition and every time I think the bottle is empty I cut it open - I always get at least another 3-4 washes out of the bottom.
    :EasterBun
    20p savings club: 20p
    May Make 10 pounds per day challenge 0/300
    Saving for flights to Canada 2015 £5/2400
    Number of No spend days this month: 0
  • This is just so easy, I'm growing spring onions, wish I'd done it years ago.

Check out this link for regrowing veg on your windowsill.

http://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/10-vegetables-herbs-you-can-eat-once-and-regrow-forever-0150343/

That is just amazing! Thank you!
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    SJG123 wrote: »
    I like to outsmart all of the toiletries / cosmetics companies who put their products in solid plastic bottles so that you cant get the last bit out.

I use treseme shampoo and condition and every time I think the bottle is empty I cut it open - I always get at least another 3-4 washes out of the bottom.

Aldi do a Tresemme-like large bottle of shampoo and conditioner for £2 each and it's just as good! I have long, thick hair (longest layer is about 50cm long) and wash my hair every other day and I'm only on my second bottle in the last 8 months :eek:
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    Aldi do a Tresemme-like large bottle of shampoo and conditioner for £2 each and it's just as good! I have long, thick hair (longest layer is about 50cm long) and wash my hair every other day and I'm only on my second bottle in the last 8 months :eek:

Thanks for this. I'll look out for it when I next go in. :)
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income