Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 4th Jan 10, 10:32 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    0 WOW
    MSE News: OFT accuses 'puerile' Ryanair of taunting passengers
    • 4th Jan 10, 10:32 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: OFT accuses 'puerile' Ryanair of taunting passengers 4th Jan 10 at 10:32 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The head of the business watchdog today criticised the budget airline over its charging policy ..."

Page 3
  • Inactive
    RyanAir customers come to Easyjet.
    RyanAir need to look at its brand and its damaged reputation before DARING to add these puerile and childish fares to the already struggling traveller.

And to be fair, speaking of fair, RyanAir's prices have always been much dearer than Easyjet and others.

Jason P. Pritchard
    Originally posted by ja50nicstealth
    Where exactly can I find these flights from Easyjet etc.that are cheaper than Ryanair?

I am sure many MSE members would love to know.

Oh and of course, which airline has cancelled most flights this year so far?

Easyjet, easy winner.:rolleyes:
  • farigola32
    I have no problem with Ryanair! For me they are the absolute best choice to fly with - local, never late - usually land early - never had a delay - staff absolutely fine. i never buy on the plane - but nor do I buy on any plane - take your own!I have utmost admiration for O'Leary - he and his company do 'what it says on the box'. Yes he's arrogant, takes no prisoners and does it his way - BUT - his business is succeeding and you know where you are with Ryanair - as long as you READ ALL THE SMALL PRINT! It's surely all about making your own choices, ensuring you've read and checked everything properly before committing, then enjoy a prompt and efficient journey.
    • whatmichaelsays
    • By whatmichaelsays 9th Jan 10, 1:29 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 5,255 Thanks
    whatmichaelsays
    I've made this point before and it still surprises me that people struggle to accept it.

Whether you are a passenger looking to go on a stag do, an airport manager or the largest airplane manufacturer in the world, Michael O'Leary makes it very clear that he will only do business with anybody as long as it is on his terms, not yours. These people trying to beat and "argue" with the system are wasting their time. How many "Ryanair are crap" posts are started on here by people who forgot to print their boarding pass or tried to pass an entire wardrobe off as cabin baggage?

It's OK for people like Martin Lewis to bang on about "consumer revenge" but at the end of the day, so long as it is legal, it is entirely up to Ryanair how they conduct themselves. If people want to argue with that, good luck to you. The fact that Ryanair is the most successful airline in Europe at present however suggests that their business practices are pretty much spot on. As they say, there is no such thing as bad PR.
    Last edited by whatmichaelsays; 09-01-2010 at 1:33 PM.
    • whatmichaelsays
    • By whatmichaelsays 9th Jan 10, 1:32 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 5,255 Thanks
    whatmichaelsays
    The people who jump through the hoops and get their flights for a penny or a pound will continue to book; but there is no profit coming from them.

The people who get stung subsidise the penny flights, but how often can you sting them, and for how much until they stop using Ryanair.

It has to end in tears at some point.
    Originally posted by daveypoos
    The railway network has been working on similar pricing policies for nearly a century - when is that going to end in tears?
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 9th Jan 10, 4:26 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    bagand96
    I've made this point before and it still surprises me that people struggle to accept it.

Whether you are a passenger looking to go on a stag do, an airport manager or the largest airplane manufacturer in the world, Michael O'Leary makes it very clear that he will only do business with anybody as long as it is on his terms, not yours. These people trying to beat and "argue" with the system are wasting their time. How many "Ryanair are crap" posts are started on here by people who forgot to print their boarding pass or tried to pass an entire wardrobe off as cabin baggage?

It's OK for people like Martin Lewis to bang on about "consumer revenge" but at the end of the day, so long as it is legal, it is entirely up to Ryanair how they conduct themselves. If people want to argue with that, good luck to you. The fact that Ryanair is the most successful airline in Europe at present however suggests that their business practices are pretty much spot on. As they say, there is no such thing as bad PR.
    Originally posted by whatmichaelsays
    I agree! Ryanair is what it is take it or leave it.

As you say Ryanair will only do business on their terms. The only thing that has started to turn a little is people are wisening up to them, and not just jumping into bed with Micahel at any cost (Manchester Airport, Airbus, Boeing as examples). But that is business, end of. Everyone protects their own interests.

The only thing I don't get, is the attitude on these boards sometimes. Its almost like you are not able to have an opinion on Ryanair unless it is a positive one. And prepared to be shot down if you have a negative view.

Ryanair are the biggest airline in Europe, and therefore the biggest number of complaints will be about them. The very nature of their size (setting aside their policies) dictates that they are not going to please everyone; and that they are an easy target. Its the same as any other massive organisation, for example Tesco. Far more complaints about them on the web than Morrisons or Asda. Is that because their service is so much worse? Who knows.

Customer service, and the perception of it, is very much a personal thing. What some people like others may not, what is acceptable to some may not be acceptable to others. Everyone's experience will vary, and as such everyones opinions will.

Being such high profile Ryanair are bound to generate more opinion, and more posts on boards like this. But by his own admission MOL isn't so bothered about public opinion, and thinks that no press is bad press. The only think I can't understand is why certain people on boards like this are SO precious and protective over Ryanair?! To the extent that people are downright rude to anyone who dares to question MOL or Ryanair?

We can all have are own opinion, and we can all get on!
  • ScottySmog
    but look at their Italian domestic network for instance
    Originally posted by PolishBigSpender
    That will be the Italian domestic network they're about to suspend will it?

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/suspension-of-italian-domestic-flights-from-23rd-january
    • PolishBigSpender
    • By PolishBigSpender 9th Jan 10, 6:21 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 3,692 Thanks
    PolishBigSpender

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/suspension-of-italian-domestic-flights-from-23rd-january
    Originally posted by ScottySmog
    The same network that will likely stay in place once the Italian government realise that Ryanair are serious. The withdrawal has nothing to do with economics - Ryanair have a system for dealing with identificaiton - and given that the Italian ID system is an absolute joke - can you blame them?
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 10th Jan 10, 11:12 AM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    fifeken

Originally posted by ScottySmog
    This has already been resolved.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/italian-id-issue-resolved-flights-restored
    • PolishBigSpender
    • By PolishBigSpender 10th Jan 10, 12:24 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 3,692 Thanks
    PolishBigSpender
    Which proves yet again that Michael O'Leary knows what he's doing.

I think many people just wish they were as ruthless and gutsy as he is.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,551Users online

Martin's Twitter