Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 16th Mar 06, 6:07 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Batter down your annual mobile costs article Discussion Area
    • 16th Mar 06, 6:07 PM
    Batter down your annual mobile costs article Discussion Area 16th Mar 06 at 6:07 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Batter down your annual mobile costs article

To discuss or ask a question about this article or to report your haggling successes: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 2:35 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 66
    • n15h
    • By n15h 14th Dec 17, 11:22 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 5,391 Thanks
    n15h
    EE to Virgin Mobile - Saving £72
    I was on EE sim-only deal for £21 which gave unlimited mins, texts and 16GB data. The contract ended in August this year and I thought to hold out for black Friday deals and see what will be on offer.

On black Friday, virgin mobile offered unlimited mins, texts and data* for £20 a month. Contacted EE to ask for PAC code and they offered unlimited mins, texts and 30GB data for £15. Virgin matched the price for the unlimited deal. Got the PAC from EE and moved to virgin mobile now - which runs off the EE network anyways.

£6 saving x 12 months = £72 saved within 1 hour and hardly any hassle - the longest part was listening to hold music waiting to speak to an advisor.

* 3 different advisors at virgin confirmed there is no cap/limit on the unlimited data.
    Last edited by n15h; 14-12-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared - Buddha
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 18th Dec 17, 7:37 PM
    • 3,437 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    You need to look for a 4G compatible phone.
    Originally posted by sandyl
    No s/he doesn't. 3 only require a 3G phone.
    In any case, 3's HSPA+ signal is not far off 4G speeds.
    https://www.itproportal.com/2012/12/19/hspa-vs-4g-lte/
    • makeni555
    • By makeni555 21st Dec 17, 3:29 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    makeni555
    Been on EE/Tmobile for 5 years - just renewed from 24 month iphone contract to 12 month sim only - Max plan: £13.99 pm for 12GB data and unlimited calls and texts & EU + 5 extra countries.

Calculated as - £28.99 pm for 7GB unlimited calls and texts, then add ons of: 5GB free data and £15 loyalty discount.

Called in and did as an early upgrade deal - so saved 45 days worth of higher priced line rental - worth knowing for other EE customers that you can 'downgrade' to sim only as soon as your eligible for the standard upgrade which for me meant an extra £33 off making the line rental effectively £11.24 pm for the year.

(as £36 pm - £13.99 = £22 pm at 45 days = £33 savings or £2.75 off per month extra, £13.99-£2.75 = £11.24 pm)

Only had to mention carphone warehouse was trying to get me to upgrade with them, barely any haggle required, Irish call centre. Especially handy if you stuck with the big networks as I still need WiFi calling which isn't on many mvno's.

• Loopy33
    • By Loopy33 28th Jan 18, 2:38 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Loopy33
    Contract ended so I followed your advice to haggle and it worked! Did my research for best sim card and rang O2. Gave them my best find and they beat it. Got 5GB data, unlimited calls and texts for £15 a month instead of their usual price of £24 and thats a massive saving on the £37 a month I have been paying!
    • savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 28th Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 4,345 Thanks
    savingpennies
    This might be of use to someone out there. Out of contract so contacted my provider (Vodafone) and said I wanted to leave as I had found a better deal (Virgin, 5GB, unltd texts and 1500 mins for £9 on Quidco plus £14 cashback). They offered the same plus free worldwide roaming (some exclusions) for £10.80 with first two months free. Ok it didn't get the £14 cashback but I'm happy with it.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    2019 in 2019: £68.73
    2019 £2 savers:
    £6
    • Merlin's Beard
    • By Merlin's Beard 3rd Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 2,365 Thanks
    Merlin's Beard
    Three have just kept me on the line for half an hour trying to flog me the same deal that I'd rejected in the first five minutes.... yes, it's a good deal, no the lovely extras thrown in aren't anything I'll use! Five requests to stop the sales pitch and just process the damn thing later...!

I also didn't ask for the lecture about how Three was worth paying twice the price of companies who piggyback off others networks... especially from an offshore callcentre who realistically can't have an actual clue about how good those networks are....!
    • whirlingdervish
    • By whirlingdervish 7th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    whirlingdervish
    Do not renew a contract in store
    This is from 6 months ago, but I thought it wise to tell people how I changed to SIM only with EE.

I had a two year contract with EE buying a phone and 4GB of use etc. It cost £33 a month. About two weeks before the contact ran out I went to an EE store and was offered a contract for £24 for a SIM only deal. This was terrible value as I had checked previously. The assistant also had no room to haggle at all and so I said to her "I bet I get a better deal with your retention department" and she gave a sly smile as I left.
    I phoned EE and pressed the option - I want to leave EE mobile. I decided that nice was the way to go to get the best offer. I said that I got a great signal where I usually go with EE and no complaints, but said regretfully I have to ask for the PAC code as the best deal you are offering is £24 and other companies are doing it much cheaper. (I had on my computer screen a comparison site list) She asked me what other deals I was looking at and said I had a comparison in front of me and quoted one and said Virgin was the best at £12. She then said that they did not want to lose loyal customers and she said she could apply two discounts - I remained silent and she said she could do it for £10.99 (4GB and unlimited calls and texts) I said oh that sounds better and when I did not say I would take it straight away, she then said I can offer you free BT Sports and if you agree to this contact now will waive your last payment of £33 and just charge £10.99. I then accepted the deal and thanked her for being so helpful.
    This saved £13 a month on the shop deal with EE and £20 on my last contract payment, plus BT Sport and also under cut Virgin by a pound a month.
    This was 6 months ago, but I bet it is basically the same process to get a much better SIM deal than those offered in an EE shop. It seems to me that the shops have no room for hagglers at all. Hope some of this may help if you are coming to an end of a contract with EE and you are wanting a SIM only deal
    • bestfootie
    • By bestfootie 10th May 18, 6:09 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    bestfootie
    EE, almost disconnected myself, bagged 32% discount.
    Was paying £23.50 pm on EE for unlimited calls, texts and 10GB data on SIMO.

I've had months of EE network issues.

I initially called upgrades got quoted best price of £19pm, equivalent tariff.

I called disconnections, explained calmly and succinctly I'm strongly considering leaving as I've found Virgin £18pm 45GB data deal, and BT £18.25pm 10 GB, unlimited calls and data.

He gave me two options:- £15pm the same as I was on before, or £16pm for 25GB data. Opted for the latter just in case I go over the ten (unlikely, but worth the peace of mind for £12 a year and those months where I may use more than 10GB I don't have to worry about getting data add-ons at £5 each time). So I've saved myself £90 pa and £48 on the initial upgrades offer.

Thanks
    • amber_cloud
    • By amber_cloud 28th Sep 18, 11:42 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    amber_cloud
    Finally called Three after putting it off for 6 months
    I've got a SIM-only contract with Three for 1MB of data for £11 a month. The price is fine but the data wasn't nearly enough. I hate making phone calls so have been putting off calling them since my contract ended 6 months ago (the online upgrade offer was not good).

I finally called them today, said I was thinking of leaving and quoted better deals I'd seen elsewhere. They immediately offered me 4GB of data for £9 a month or 8GB for £10 a month. I took the 8GB. It's only £1 less a month but finally I will have enough data!

Thanks everyone for the encouraging stories and advice.
    • Justme63
    • By Justme63 2nd Oct 18, 11:28 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Justme63
    Called O2 for PAC code and nearly halved my bill!
    Aware that I was paying over £10 for my SIM only with O2 and that I could pay less, I decided to switch to Tesco Mobile. Went into the store yesterday and signed up for £7.50pm which provided all the data etc I needed. Called O2 today for PAC code and they were suddenly able to offer me £7pm for 12 months with the same allowances I already had. Then called Tesco Mobile to cancel within the cooling off period.

Whilst I like the O2 Priority offers, I have found they are not as relevant to me as they once were and I was willing to forego this to get a cheaper deal, but happy now to still have it for the occasional free coffee, chocolate etc.

Good result I feel.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 2nd Oct 18, 11:42 AM
    • 10,133 Posts
    • 7,755 Thanks
    pmduk
    I think the moral of the post immediately above, is to have an idea what other networks are offering and ask your network to beat or match it.
    • Cull
    • By Cull 2nd Dec 18, 4:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cull
    Having got what we thought was a good deal with EE on an upgrade to an IPhone X we discovered that someone else got exactly the same deal £15 a month cheaper. Despite escalating a complaint EE were not prepared to price match . Apparently we could send the hand set back ( why on earth in this day and age does there have to be a physical transaction???) to restart the contract (14 day period) but there was still no guarantee. I said I had been a loyal customer and had three phones with EE . But they were not interested. So when my okther two phones are at the end of contract I will be going elsewhere. EE weren’t bothered with that either.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,925Posts Today

7,713Users online

Martin's Twitter