Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 16th Mar 06, 6:07 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Batter down your annual mobile costs article Discussion Area
    • 16th Mar 06, 6:07 PM
    Batter down your annual mobile costs article Discussion Area 16th Mar 06 at 6:07 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Batter down your annual mobile costs article

To discuss or ask a question about this article or to report your haggling successes: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 2:35 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 3
  • lannyp
    just phoned orange, currently on yp200 with 500txts plus weekend call which i pay around 5 pound a month for, totals to around 30 pound per month, best they would offer me was 500 x network mins, 130 texts, k750i on 18 month contract, 1st 6 month half price, averages out at 25 pound a month over 18 months, BUT i wanted the nokia n70 no way would they do it, well they would for 83 pound charge, i just tried my hardest to do a deal with him, by the way this was disconnections! eventually i had three choices, take the offer, cancel account, or get my code to keep my number to use with another network, his very last words was if i could wait untill monday they may be able to give me more texts but the phone choice would not change, all in all orane seem to be getting very wise to threats to leave is my gut feeling, anybody got any more ideas or tariff,s i could try for, any advice welcome
  • ddwk
    Thanks T-Mobile!!
    Have just managed to cut my costs with T-Mobile. I pay mine and my daughter's bills and the contracts due for renewal now. Saw offer in Sky mag and called them up to see if they would match it. It was Flext 20 but for 15 a month, 25% saving. No problem they said and if I didn't need the new phone, could do it for 5 per month. Absolute bargain and no need to plead!!
    The offer is on this website:
    www.t-mobile.co.uk/skymagoffers

Would never have done it if hadn't read Martin's article. Now saving about 35 a month

Many thanks
  • djawol
    I think Orange are getting wise to this method.
    by inch71
    Not so much wise, they're just watching their bottom line.

I've been with Orange for about 5/6 years on contract,
    They have always backed down and gave me the phone I wanted for free, on a new 12 month contract. Which I was happy with. This year I tried the same again. I wanted the new Nokia N70. I was told the upgrade price was 279.99. I knew I would probably have to pay something for this phone as it is the latest model with 3G, but that seemed a bit extreme.

I was paying 17 a month with Orange and getting 30 anytime xnet mins and 30 texts.
    by inch71
    Can I ask how much your bill is a month? If you're paying say 17 tariff plus maybe a few extras lets say 20, you are not making Orange any money by upgrading every year. An N70 costs a lot more that 279.99 sim free, obviously Orange can buy in bulk but I'd still say 280 is around what they'd pay. Try and buy one contract free for less than 350.
    Therefore for example 20x12 = 240 a year, new phone cost to Orange 280.00 (guess), loss to Orange 40, hope that you stay on your tariff for an extra few months = profit to Orange after two months.

The O2 deal was 19 a month 100 anytime xnet mins and 50 texts.
    Ater checking the Orange website I noticed that you could get the same phone for 49.99 if you were a new customer.
    by inch71
    O2 are offering a loss leader, hoping that you stay on the same plan after 12 months. I bet if you pay 19 a month for a year they'll be a lot less receptive when you're trying to get an upgrade at the end.

As a rule of thumb, if you pay more than 30 a month or have been on the same tarrif for 18months you are a lot more likely to get a good deal. If you keep asking for a new phone every 12 months and have a low spend then be prepared to keep moving networks as they're in the business of making money.

The other thing I will say with Orange is that Retentions don't work the same hours as the normal CS representatives. If you phone between 8:30 and 6pm you'll have more chance of getting hold of someone who can bend the upgrade rules otherwise a normal CSR will pick up the phone.

For info, I've been with Orange since 1995 and apart from the first phone I've never paid for an upgrade each 12 months and am paying less than I should for my price plan, however my bills are in the 60-70 per month region.

*Phew* THAT's a first post.

Cheers
    Andy
    Last edited by djawol; 30-03-2006 at 11:30 AM.
  • HPJon
    good deal - thanks Martin
    I had to try martins hagling deal as I was paying over 300 a year for an O2 contract with only 100 minutes and 50 texts.
    After getting through to the retention department they offered me 100 mins, 300 texts, a free phone upgrade and all for 15 on 12 month contract. I didn't even get a chance to threaten to leave or put on my smiley voice.
    It is better value for money than my contract 6 years ago.

And a question - is it better money saving to sell old phone on ebay or give it to a charity - be tight or generous?

off to celebrate

Jon
  • zeddy
    I was with Phones4U a couple of years ago but decided I didn't really want a contract any more as it neared the end of my year. I decided to speak to the man when I had sent my letter of cancellation in to the correct department and see what he could offer me. He matched everything that I wanted, with a 15 a month deal with x-network minutes of 200 a month and 100 texts, I also got the phone I wanted for free. He said in order to get the phone I wanted I would have to go on a 3 month deal at 30 (which he would give me free line rental for) but then I would have to call them up and downgrade to get my 15 a month deal. As the three months neared the end (and me having not spent a penny yet) I called them up to downgrade my package to the 15 a month deal. Surprise, surprise I had problems. They said 'we don't offer this package madam, so we cannot downgrade you to it'. I said ' I know you don't offer the package, it was one specially tailored to me that we agreed in October'. I was then passed through several people including managers and things with no joy. I was absolutely livid, becuase the only reason I had agreed to keep the contract was because I was going to get these free texts and things for that price (otherwise I would have returned to PAYG). I wrote a letter of complaint to Phones4U stating what had happened and saying how their salesman lied in order to keep my business and that it accounted to lies becuase what he had said to keep my business there and then was different to reality. A couple of weeks later I received a letter apologising and offering me 150 credit on my bill as an apology! I was chuffed with this and didn't spend another penny on the phone bill again! (I cancelled a the end of the year and returned to PAYG). I am happy on PAYG with o2 now as I get 300 free texts a month and 300 free WAP minutes too and all for topping up 10 a month.

Basically it is worth not giving up with these companies as Martin suggests, but I wouldn't recommend doing what I did by agreeing a deal that you are not signing up to immediately, because otherwise you might find the offer is withdrawn by the time it comes to change to it.
  • chinup
    the point about what time to ring orange is a good one. i rang afternoon weekday with two weeks before contract expiry and got a young motivated very pleasant chap. i explained that i was starting a small business,true, and thus needed the tariff to be generous but not expensive. went from 200 mins/0 txts for 30 to 500 mins/100 txts for 15 for 6 months then 30 after,tariff unchanged.think we have to make decision about handset ie; do we want the latest about to be superceded model cos we are never going to get the best deal are we! ive settled for the good old samsung d500 which orange are handing out the best tariffs on the back of like sweets i think.
  • gingerRAT
    How much is loyalty worth?
    Hi everyone,

i wondered if i could ask your advice. I have been with o2 for 3 years and my contract has just ended. I am currently on a 30 a month deal with 400 xnetwork anytime mins (+20 'treat' minutes) and 1000 texts plus 1000 MMS i don't use. I was offered 750mins and 750 texts for 35 with a new Sony Erricsson Z520i phone (18 month contract). I then saw the new T-mobile Flext35 deal which offers (flexible) 600mins and 600 text for just 26.25 a month, plus the same phone (similarly 18mth contract).

I rang o2 back and they said (despite me often having much bigger bills than the 30 line rental for 3 years) they could not match this offer.

I prefer the T-mobile deal but I am concerned about losing the loyalty I have aquired at 02 and wonder how this will affect my chances of getting a good deal when I come to upgrade in 18months time...

Also, does anyone have any opinion on the phone? is it any good?

Thanks in advance for your help
  • raysur52
    T Mobile upgrade/Better tariff
    After reading the the article I tried to contact T Mobile for days, you know the drill, press 1 for this and press 50 for that, eventually got through to a real person, (well he was Scottish) no offence Scotland. Anyway told him I was thinking of leaving because my price plan was 26 for 200 mins and kept paying an average 35 to 40 which was not what I'd asked in the first place. I said this is not acceptable because there are others out there that are way way better than what I'm getting. Within minutes I got another upgrade with a tariff called Flex 35 (which I believe is for keeping people wanting to leave T Mobile), for the same price, and it comes with about 750 mins, all networks and anytime (18 month contract) which I thought was good and took it straight away.
  • ajd3
    I've had a contract with O2 for over 2 years and got the monthly fee reduced a few months ago. I've now worked out that I would be cheaper having a 'pay as you go'. I contacted O2 to explain I want to keep handset & number, just change from contract to PAYG so now I have 25 free anytime mins & 300 free texts per month, 75 credit and pay nothing for 7 months then will pay 11 per month. Saving me 140 over the 7 months ;-)
  • pauby
    Didn't work for me ... sort of ...
    Didn't work for me guys.

What sparked it off was a called from O2 offering me what I wanted. Their package was a little high priced and didn't include enough texts for me. They said if I took it over 18 months they double the minutes - great. Gives me plenty of minutes. They didn't double the texts though. So I told them if they doubled the texts I would say yes there and then. They couldn't. She couldn't authorise that and nobody there could either. I todl her if she couldn't she's lose a sale. They were happy to lose a sale. The package I was looking at was going to cost me about 40.00 per month - the additional texts I askd for were 2.50 ... go
    figure.

I thought I'd chance my arm again. Called my own provider (Vodafone). Told them I wanted my PAC code and was then put through to somebody who could 'help me'. They asked why I was moving, I told them and then off we went. I told them the package I was offered and the phone I was offered and asked if they could match it. They couldn't because I didn't spend enough (I have a 51.00 a month bill with them). They could offer me the same phone but it was 270.00 and they could't match the package. I told them they realised that if they couldnt even match the offer (I didn't ask them to beat it just match it as I didn't want the hassle of moving) I was going to leave them. There was nothing they could do ...

So I've moved to T-Mobile. Saved myself about 10-15 per month. Got the phone for 100.00. Currently on the Flext 35 contract - 153.00 credit on yoru bill to use as you please (works out at 900 minutes or 1800 texts or combination of both). There is also currently 25% off this and it's only 22.35.

So it works - if you actually do what you say you will and leave!

I did see somebody mention something about loyalty? Did I read right? LOYALTY?!?! Why on earth would you be loyal to a commercial company? They rarely care about anything other than the bottom line - if you're loyal you lose out (generally) if you switch about you generally win ... 'm sorry I still can't believe I read that word .... jeez!
  • gingerRAT
    You missed the point
    pauby - I think you misunderstood.

Of course I don't feel any loyalty to the network that I am with, I just wondered how much the networks reward loyalty. The point is whereas customers don't care about it, they certainly do - in addition to how much you spend per month. My question was just how much better the deals they can offer you if you've stuck with them for a long time.

I read somewhere on here about the guy who's been with o2 for 9 years who was offered a deal I could only dream of...
  • mikeyd
    Just phoned o2 - was on the o2 200 tariff at 30/month (20 after cashback scheme from phones4u).
    I phoned up and told them I don't use anywhere near that many minutes and was thinking of downgrading to PAYG.
    They offered to drop the tariff to o2 100 and give me that for just 10/month and then seeing as I didnt want a handset upgrade they credited my account 100 so I have effectively for 100mins + 100 texts a month for 20 for the entire year.

Thank you Martin
    Last edited by mikeyd; 06-04-2006 at 1:50 PM.
  • T-MobileSuck
    T-Mobile SUCK!!!
    Hi,

I've been reading all posts with interest, especially after the nightmare I've been having with T-Mobile. Here's why...

I've been a customer with them for over 5 years, and haven't had ANY upgrades since I signed up (ie for at least the last 4 years, I've been paying over the odds for my phone calls). My monthly bills are never lower than 40pm, sometimes as high as 100pm.

Anyway, I finally decide it's time to upgrade, and to go for a new MDA Pro, which is no cheap phone. Over the last couple of months, I've tried to get T-Mobile to offer me the phone for cheaper than I can buy it from them if I was a new customer, considering my history. Not a CHANCE! They couldn't even match the price for new customers! I was even told that it would cost me 325 for the phone, despite it being on offer on a similar tarriff with them for 99.99!!! :confused:

Anyway, I thought I'd try again, trying to get the same Relax 35 + web n walk tariff that's available to new customers on their site. After getting nowhere, I decide it's time to disconnect. I get through to disconnections, who asks me why (to which she heard a massive rant about how incompetent they've all been!), and she says "what if I can match that tarriff that you're after?". I say, "well, you'd be the first of about 10 people that have 'tried' but go nowhere, so GO FOR IT!". She comes back with "I can do it! I'll send you out the phone straight away!".

Cool, so I get the phone today, spend ages setting it up (since it was locked when it got to me and I had to call for a 'special' code). Then, I log onto my account and see that my monthly tarriff is the FULL rate (ie NOT the discounted rate as available to new customers). I call back to complain, and it took the same operator over 12 hours to get back to me (called me at 21:15!). She now tells me she made a mistake, and I can't have that tarriff, but if I send the phone back under the "7 day agreement", we can start again with the right tarriff. I tell her this is unacceptable, and quite frankly, not logical. Why do they need me to send the phone back, only to send it back to me?? I then think, what if I go for the business tarriff? This will solve all the issues (as I mostly use it for business, and their customer care is supposed to be better). I ask her if this will resolve the issue without me having to send the phone back, and she says yes.

So I call the business line who say absolutely nothing is possible unless I send the phone back, and in order to then connect with them as a business customer on the advertised tarriffs on their site, I'll have to lose my number. I tell her how ridiculous this is, seeing as I'd be able to port the no over if I was coming over from another network. She says "oh, that's different, because it's from a different network, and you're a T-Mobile customer!". I then tell her "but I'm a PERSONAL customer, moving over to a BUSINESS tarriff". It made no difference to her. I eventually spoke to her "manager" who was even less helpful. Essentially, they were giving me NO options but to leave.

The problem is, I need the web n walk side of the tarriff, because no one else seems to offer such a good deal. I'm SERIOUSLY angry with T-Mobile for treating a good customer so badly, but I refuse to be beaten, so I'm considering this...

Buying a Pay As You Go sim card on another network, moving my number over to that, sending back the new MDA under the 7 day agreement, and then coming back as a "NEW" business customer!! Wonder if it'll work!!
  • jparnell
    Another O2 15 customer :-)
    I just thought I would provide my bit input to the thread - seeing as I have now benefitted from it.
    My O2 contract has just come to an end, so I therefore phoned O2 customer services to see what they were able to offer me.
    I said that another operator were able to offer me 500 txts and 200mins and a free Samsung D600 for 20 / month (bit of a porky). I was then passed on to the retentions dept, who I explained the story again to. Without even thinking about it, the operator offered me exactly the same for 15 / month, and any phone I wanted. I took chose the D600, which looks like it will arrive tomorrow.
    I'm now one very happy customer! I currently have the D500 which I will sell for around 80, therefore effectively making my contract 8 a month
  • nailman
    Is there a better deal out there
    just wondering what the best deals are at the moment for pay monthly customers

i am currently with orange i pay 25 pounds a month for 500 anytime cross network minutes the wifes on the same tariff

the wife manages to use all her minutes (no surprise there)
    but i only manage about 250 minutes a month

is this a good deal, ive been told it is but i feel it might be worth me cancelling my contract and leave the wife on this tarrif

or is there better out there
  • olly
    I have been thinking over my situation with vodafone,where i get 125 mins/250 txt,12 month contract 20 month expires end of this month,but to do this batter down my contract talk,i cannot find any better deals out there,and willing to stay put,but just want a upgrade without paying for it.

Do you think its best to porky as jparnell did,or any other way of me getting the upgrade to a w900i for free,as its a very new phone which is 110 to a new customer,with my tariff now up to 25 month,on a 12 month contract :confused: ,as not keen on 18 month contracts?? any ideas people.
  • needstoknow
    i currently get 240 mins, 1000 txts 4 25pm, it does work they wish to keep you more than you know, however point to remember when u call up make out u wish to cancel your contract not that your looking to renew it or they wont give a monkeys!
  • olly
    Needstoknow,Is that currently with vodafone?
    Was going to try for 200 mins/300txt and say i can get the w900i phone for 30, off another network,and still only 20@month. what you reckon!
  • T-MobileSuck
    I thought that I'd keep people informed of what happened with my own saga...

When I called T-mobile to get my PAC code so that I could temporarily move my no onto a Pay As You Go phone in order to carry out my plan, initially they tried to make things difficult (by saying I'd have to wait for a DSR pack in order to send my phone back first, via the 7-day rule), but then I got a call back a few mins later, and they told me that they were FINALLY willing to give me the same deal as new customers get, in order to keep me!!

So, there IS a way around the "Brand new customers only!" lark!! Just be prepared to go right the way through to cancellation, and if they're not prepared to play ball, then you're better off moving, anyway...
  • juliagoolia
    O2 contract
    Cheers Martin for your excellent advice! I have been with O2 for about a year and decided to have a go at "battering down my contract" I was paying 40 a month for 200 mins and 400 texts. After a bit of haggling with the very nice lady in customer retentions, I managed to get 500 X-net mins and 400 texts for 25 a month plus a snazzy new Nokia 6111! I am very pleased with myself! and suggest everyone has a go!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,217Posts Today

7,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Didn't get your MSE weekly email today - for some reason Microsoft (inc outlook hotmail) filed many as spam so chec? https://t.co/GH6aH9CBTn

• RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• Follow Martin