Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 25th May 19, 11:16 AM
    • 159Posts
    • 26Thanks
    Challenge Council Tax
    • #1
    • 25th May 19, 11:16 AM
    Challenge Council Tax 25th May 19 at 11:16 AM
    Is there a scope of challenge in following situation

    Property-1 and 2 are next to each other
    both have same area

    property1 has more rear garden area but 2 bedrooms. Council tax A
    property2 has less rear garden area but 3 bedrooms. council tax B

    Can the person living in property2 (for more than 1 year now) challenge council tax?
Page 1
    • CIS
    • By CIS 25th May 19, 11:30 AM
    • 11,170 Posts
    • 6,516 Thanks
    • #2
    • 25th May 19, 11:30 AM
    • #2
    • 25th May 19, 11:30 AM
    You would be reduced to making a request for them to double check the banding - it would not be a decision you could formally appeal.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 25th May 19, 12:40 PM
    • 12,077 Posts
    • 7,882 Thanks
    • #3
    • 25th May 19, 12:40 PM
    • #3
    • 25th May 19, 12:40 PM
    If they were both up for sale today would the 3 bedroom property be more expensive than the 2 bed?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 25th May 19, 3:42 PM
    • 11,938 Posts
    • 10,430 Thanks
    • #4
    • 25th May 19, 3:42 PM
    • #4
    • 25th May 19, 3:42 PM
    You cannot appeal because you are out of time, but you could ask for a band review. Worst scenario would be your neighbour would be increased to a Band B.

    If the houses are the same size, why does have 3 beds and the other 2?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

711Posts Today

6,595Users online

Martin's Twitter