Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missing string
    • By missing string 25th May 19, 1:08 PM
    • 110Posts
    • 14Thanks
    missing string
    What's the easiest joint bank account to open?
    • 25th May 19, 1:08 PM
    What's the easiest joint bank account to open? 25th May 19 at 1:08 PM
    I've received a cheque that's made out to myself, my brother and sister after the death of my father. It took a lot of back and forth with the company to get the cheque in the first place, so I don't want to go through the hassle of getting it re-issued in just one of our names, so the only option appears to be opening a joint account.

I bank with Lloyds, and just looked at starting the process online, but it states "Visit a local branch accompanied by the person you wish to add to the account to complete the joint application." Since my sister lives hundreds of miles away, I want to open an account with a bank that doesn't require the person to physically be there - I'm guessing one that doesn't have a presence in the high street? Any recommendations would be appreciated for this.
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 25th May 19, 1:24 PM
    • 4,788 Posts
    • 3,131 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 25th May 19, 1:24 PM
    • 25th May 19, 1:24 PM
    Why can they just not write individual cheques?

It’s very strange they’ve written a cheque with everyone’s name on
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 25th May 19, 1:28 PM
    • 29,932 Posts
    • 18,312 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 25th May 19, 1:28 PM
    • 25th May 19, 1:28 PM
    https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/support/current-accounts/joint-accounts

If you’re applying for a new account, you can add a joint account holder during your application – online, on the phone, or in branch.
    • missing string
    • By missing string 25th May 19, 1:31 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    missing string
    • 25th May 19, 1:31 PM
    • 25th May 19, 1:31 PM
    Why can they just not write individual cheques?

It’s very strange they’ve written a cheque with everyone’s name on
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    They probably can but I don't trust them at all. It's taken such a long time to get to this point I don't want to go through any more hassle with this company (it's been almost 2 years since my father died). Opening a joint bank account seems like the easier option of the two.
    • missing string
    • By missing string 25th May 19, 1:35 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    missing string
    • 25th May 19, 1:35 PM
    Seems like most bank account only allow 2 people per application for a joint account. I'm struggling here trying to find a bank that allows 3 people on an account.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 25th May 19, 1:35 PM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 1,073 Thanks
    18cc
    Try TSB - for a sole account they give you sort code and account no there and then online. Maybe the same for joint.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 25th May 19, 2:33 PM
    • 29,932 Posts
    • 18,312 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 25th May 19, 2:33 PM
    • 25th May 19, 2:33 PM
    Seems like most bank account only allow 2 people per application for a joint account. I'm struggling here trying to find a bank that allows 3 people on an account.
    https://www.which.co.uk/money/banking/bank-accounts/how-to-find-the-best-joint-bank-account-a08by0u6cb9p

I've just seen the table in above which gives information you require.
    • missing string
    • By missing string 25th May 19, 3:02 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    missing string
    • 25th May 19, 3:02 PM
    • 25th May 19, 3:02 PM
    https://www.which.co.uk/money/banking/bank-accounts/how-to-find-the-best-joint-bank-account-a08by0u6cb9p

I've just seen the table in above which gives information you require.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Excellent, thank you.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 25th May 19, 3:34 PM
    • 25,854 Posts
    • 13,059 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 25th May 19, 3:34 PM
    • 25th May 19, 3:34 PM
    From any bank's point of view if you tell them at the outset that you only intend to clear this one cheque through the account then divide it up, I can see them saying no to you. They have the right to refuse an account to anybody.
    Now if you had say a Grant of Probate or letters of Administration or a will where you are all named as executors then you could ask Lloyds for an Executors account.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,306Posts Today

8,739Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin