Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Judesman
    • By Judesman 24th May 19, 6:42 PM
    • 84Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Judesman
    Morningstar Portfolio Facility Problem
    • 24th May 19, 6:42 PM
    Morningstar Portfolio Facility Problem 24th May 19 at 6:42 PM
    I have two portfolios listed on the Morningstar web site and refer to these daily to review my investments. Now I find that only the previous days price is quoted. I have taken this up with Morningstar and I have been advised:

"I am sorry to inform you that Morningstar.co.uk website has lost real-time updating in portfolio manager. We will consider adding delayed data but there is no immediate plan."

I am reluctant to re-create my portfolio on a different web site but can anyone recommend an alternative please?

Page 1
    • getting close
    • By getting close 24th May 19, 7:10 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    getting close
    • 24th May 19, 7:10 PM
    • 24th May 19, 7:10 PM
    Similar here, found it useful, but if latest prices are 24 hrs out of date not much good
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 24th May 19, 7:35 PM
    • 15,987 Posts
    • 19,184 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 24th May 19, 7:35 PM
    • 24th May 19, 7:35 PM
    Why do you need real time prices? Serious question. Are you a day trader ?
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • Judesman
    • By Judesman 24th May 19, 7:41 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Judesman
    • 24th May 19, 7:41 PM
    • 24th May 19, 7:41 PM
    I am not sure what you mean by a "Day Trader" but I keep a close eye on my investments and I would like to know , on the day, how my shares are performing.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 24th May 19, 9:09 PM
    • 64,950 Posts
    • 57,271 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 24th May 19, 9:09 PM
    • 24th May 19, 9:09 PM
    The London Stock Exchange is an option for you.
    “If the financial system has a defect, it is that it reflects and magnifies what we human beings are like. Money amplifies our tendency to overreact, to swing from exuberance when things are going well to deep depression when they go wrong. Booms and busts are products, at root, of our emotional volatility.”
    ― Niall Ferguson
    • Judesman
    • By Judesman 24th May 19, 10:33 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Judesman
    • 24th May 19, 10:33 PM
    • 24th May 19, 10:33 PM
    Does the London Stock Exchange allow me to create a portfolio with price updates?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 24th May 19, 10:44 PM
    • 64,950 Posts
    • 57,271 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 24th May 19, 10:44 PM
    • 24th May 19, 10:44 PM
    Yes it does.
    “If the financial system has a defect, it is that it reflects and magnifies what we human beings are like. Money amplifies our tendency to overreact, to swing from exuberance when things are going well to deep depression when they go wrong. Booms and busts are products, at root, of our emotional volatility.”
    ― Niall Ferguson
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 25th May 19, 8:15 AM
    • 15,987 Posts
    • 19,184 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 25th May 19, 8:15 AM
    • 25th May 19, 8:15 AM
    I am not sure what you mean by a "Day Trader" but I keep a close eye on my investments and I would like to know , on the day, how my shares are performing.
    Originally posted by Judesman
    A day trader is someone buying and selling investments on a very frequent basis, typically daily. So they need to know prices in real time because they might for example buy Shell at 9am sell it at 10am buy Exxon at 11 am sell it at 3pm and buy Amazon at 5pm. And so on.

The danger looking at your investments in real time is that you consider minor fluctuations within a day to be significant and start trading on that basis, which long term will almost certainly lose you money . If you've bought a fund for say ten years there's little point looking at it in an intraday basis and trying to divine what that means. Of course if you've just bought it for a few hours or days then you do need to know what it's doing.
    • Judesman
    • By Judesman 25th May 19, 8:30 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Judesman
    • 25th May 19, 8:30 AM
    • 25th May 19, 8:30 AM
    Many thanks. No, I don't trade that frequently and some of my investments I have held for many years however, I like to know what is happening today and not what happened yesterday. I found Morningstar very convenient and simple to use and don't really want to start all over again.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 25th May 19, 9:07 AM
    • 64,950 Posts
    • 57,271 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Real time pricing feeds costs money not a free service. Imagine the demand for the service has decreased. As online brokerage accounts allow people to view their holdings whenever they want. Prices can fluctuate within minutes depending on what trades are going through the market. So arbitary anyway until one actually sells.
    ― Niall Ferguson
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 25th May 19, 9:36 AM
    • 15,987 Posts
    • 19,184 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Real time pricing feeds costs money not a free service. Imagine the demand for the service has decreased. As online brokerage accounts allow people to view their holdings whenever they want. Prices can fluctuate within minutes depending on what trades are going through the market. So arbitary anyway until one actually sells.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir

Exactly. Say investment X is showing at price 1053, when you look an hour later it might be 1052 and an hour after that 1057. Unless Investment X is a fund in which case its price only changes once a day anyway, and if you put in a sell you'd probably get the price at tomorrows fix which obviously you dont know, so it seems all a bit pointless needing to know the price at say 247pm.
    It gives the illusion that you know something useful. But you dont, and worse your mind is liable to make stories up about what the changes mean and take action on those, when its mostly just a Random Walk On Wall Street.
    • Judesman
    • By Judesman 25th May 19, 11:38 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Judesman
    Yes, thank you. I fully understand the nature of the stock market although I do not invest in funds. I just wanted to know if anyone could recommend an alternative to Morningstar where I can see relatively up to date prices throughout the day. The Stock Exchange has been recommended so that is what I need to know. Many thanks.
    • Prism
    • By Prism 25th May 19, 3:21 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    Prism
    Try investing.com
    • Judesman
    • By Judesman 25th May 19, 3:31 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Judesman
    Many thanks, looks promising.
    • talexuser
    • By talexuser 25th May 19, 9:33 PM
    • 2,808 Posts
    • 2,190 Thanks
    talexuser
    Morningstar always beat Trustnet, but it's the other way round now they've lost the updates. The fastest now for shares, ITs and ETFs is LSE. Trustnet for OEICs is faster than II.
    • Judesman
    • By Judesman 26th May 19, 5:23 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Judesman
    Many thanks, plenty of choice now.
    • pioruns
    • By pioruns 26th May 19, 9:38 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    pioruns
    https://finance.yahoo.com/portfolios/

Click Data disclaimer on the bottom of the page. Nearly all world exchanges there have delay from 0 to 20 minutes. And you can create portfolios there.
    Last edited by pioruns; 26-05-2019 at 9:44 PM.
    • Judesman
    • By Judesman 27th May 19, 7:22 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Judesman
    Thanks for all your help. I have enough to think about now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

247Posts Today

2,020Users online

Martin's Twitter