Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 24th Apr 19, 11:20 AM
    • 249Posts
    • 62Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    Virgin Trains calls for compulsory seat reservations - MSE News
    • 24th Apr 19, 11:20 AM
    Virgin Trains calls for compulsory seat reservations - MSE News 24th Apr 19 at 11:20 AM
    Virgin Trains has proposed making seat reservations compulsory on long-distance trains, saying it would cut overcrowding and guarantee every passenger a seat...
    Read the full story:
    'Virgin Trains calls for compulsory seat reservations'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 2
    • harz99
    • By harz99 29th Apr 19, 8:59 AM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    harz99
    Won't work. There are places on Virgin's West Coast routes where consecutive stations are used by commuters and local leisure travellers with VTWC effectively providing all or a large part of the local train service. Wigan/Warrington/Preston/Lancaster come to mind.
    • REJP
    • By REJP 22nd May 19, 12:02 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    REJP
    Virgin train reservations.
    I reserved a seat on a connecting train but it was occupied by a man who refused to move. I have a serious medical condition and cannot stand for long. Spoke to the ticket inspector who asked the man to move, but he refused. To avoid arguments, the ticket inspector took me to a first class seat, giving me a note to show he had moved me.
    Thank you Virgin Trains for employing a member of staff who handled the situation. In some countries the man in my seat would have been put off the train.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 25th May 19, 12:21 PM
    • 4,983 Posts
    • 4,681 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Quite common sadly, I have a disabled railcard and have had rude comments in past when I went to my booked seat. and on the flip side when I sit in a non reserved seat and someone who has reserved one seat comes on with a friend/partner and expects me to move.

Eitther way on the isue at hand sometimes people can miss trains and have an open ticket, sometimes one train can be a hour late and so its quicker to get another train.
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 25th May 19, 1:58 PM
    • 11,664 Posts
    • 22,534 Thanks
    Pennywise
    Or perhaps 114 people book on the next train 10 minutes later or earlier?
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    Some Virgin services are hourly or longer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,985Posts Today

7,997Users online

Martin's Twitter