Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sicily1991
    • By Sicily1991 24th May 19, 9:01 AM
    • 32Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Sicily1991
    Advice re mortgage application/deposit
    • 24th May 19, 9:01 AM
    Advice re mortgage application/deposit 24th May 19 at 9:01 AM
    Hello,

My situation is that I have just enough saved up for a 10% deposit including a gift from my father.
    I.e. I have £1600 in a HTB ISA, £1400 in a savings account, and £7500 in my current account (higher interest) which is where all my outgoings come out from. In all I need £9k of my own money, in addition to £6k from my father to make up the deposit which leaves me with only £1.5K for this month's outgoings until I get paid again. Purchase price is £150k.

My question is: as I'm preparing to put in a mortgage application, will the lenders be concerned that I am using practically all my money to demonstrate the deposit? I know that it will probably be another 2/3 paydays before I actually need to transfer the deposit so I'll have more savings by then, but I'm concerned the bank will say I don't have enough to live off if I'm using all my savings.
Page 1
    • Exodi
    • By Exodi 24th May 19, 9:29 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    Exodi
    • 24th May 19, 9:29 AM
    • 24th May 19, 9:29 AM
    Hello,

My situation is that I have just enough saved up for a 10% deposit including a gift from my father.
    I.e. I have £1600 in a HTB ISA, £1400 in a savings account, and £7500 in my current account (higher interest) which is where all my outgoings come out from. In all I need £9k of my own money, in addition to £6k from my father to make up the deposit which leaves me with only £1.5K for this month's outgoings until I get paid again. Purchase price is £150k.

My question is: as I'm preparing to put in a mortgage application, will the lenders be concerned that I am using practically all my money to demonstrate the deposit? I know that it will probably be another 2/3 paydays before I actually need to transfer the deposit so I'll have more savings by then, but I'm concerned the bank will say I don't have enough to live off if I'm using all my savings.
    Originally posted by Sicily1991
    So from the figures you've posted, you have £1600 (htb) + £400 (htb bonus) + £1400 (s/a) + £7500 (c/a) + £6000 (gift) = £16,900. The deposit is £15,000 but you will need to pay for conveyancing fee's (~£1,500 inc searches) and a survey (~£400), etc, it's clearly quite tight.

To answer your question, you will have no issues with the lender or solicitor however I would be saving every penny over the next 1-3 paydays so you don't move in with £0.00 in your bank.

Regarding your suggestion from the bank, it just wouldn't happen. A lot of people move into a house with not much more than the clothes they're wearing.
    Know what you don't
    • Sicily1991
    • By Sicily1991 24th May 19, 9:43 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Sicily1991
    • 24th May 19, 9:43 AM
    • 24th May 19, 9:43 AM
    Thank you for your reply. In terms of the timeline of when I'll actually be transferring the deposit money to my solicitor- how close to the exchange date is this? I am able to save about £800-£1000 a month with my current salary but as you correctly point out- I have the legal costs to cover over the this period which will significantly reduce what I actually save.
    • muhandis
    • By muhandis 24th May 19, 9:46 AM
    • 605 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    muhandis
    • 24th May 19, 9:46 AM
    • 24th May 19, 9:46 AM
    If you're talking about the 10% upon exchange, it's usually not more than 1-2 days before the planned exchange date.

Thank you for your reply. In terms of the timeline of when I'll actually be transferring the deposit money to my solicitor- how close to the exchange date is this? I am able to save about £800-£1000 a month with my current salary but as you correctly point out- I have the legal costs to cover over the this period which will significantly reduce what I actually save.
    Originally posted by Sicily1991
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 24th May 19, 9:52 AM
    • 63,535 Posts
    • 56,328 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 24th May 19, 9:52 AM
    • 24th May 19, 9:52 AM
    Solicitors will require cleared funds prior to effecting exchange. This will include all their fees, stamp duty etc not just the deposit.
    “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.” – Warren Buffett
    • Exodi
    • By Exodi 24th May 19, 10:05 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    Exodi
    • 24th May 19, 10:05 AM
    • 24th May 19, 10:05 AM
    Solicitors will require cleared funds prior to effecting exchange. This will include all their fees, stamp duty etc not just the deposit.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    This isn't true. You'll usually be provided with a completion statement and solicitors fees are usually taken out of 'the pot' on completion - can evidence this as I've literally just exchanged
    Know what you don't
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,170Posts Today

7,367Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Follow Martin