Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Abigail1990
    • By Abigail1990 24th May 19, 8:00 AM
    • 39Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Abigail1990
    Mortgage Broker choices
    • 24th May 19, 8:00 AM
    Mortgage Broker choices 24th May 19 at 8:00 AM
    Hi all

After a bit of advice. I am engaging a broker to help with a forthcoming mortgage application. I went through unbiased, the 1st broker to contact me is based in my city, has good reviews online, got some basic information from me over the phone (salary etc) and then said he would send me an A.I.P. They sent me the A.I.P the next working day but there was an error on the amount available to borrow and my address. To clarify it wasnt an A.I.P from a bank, it was from their brokers and they said the next step was to find a property and then get back to them. I emailed them because of the error and it took a while for them to come back to me and correct it but they have done now.

When the first broker didnt get back to me I went on another comparison site and did a search, another broker got back to me, seemed to ask similar questions to the first but asked me for credit reports and payslips. Downside is he is from another city.

Im unsure of which one to go with as both have good reviews online, is it a big advantage to go with a broker based in the same.city? Also am i tied in to the first broker now they have given me an A.I.P although it is not from bank and no searches have been done on my credit.file?

Thank you in advance for your help
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 24th May 19, 8:03 AM
    • 18,994 Posts
    • 10,576 Thanks
    ACG
    • 24th May 19, 8:03 AM
    • 24th May 19, 8:03 AM
    You can use any broker you wish.

I can only speak for ourselves but we have customers from Brighton up to Glasgow. Most of it can be done over the phone/email now a days.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • muhandis
    • By muhandis 24th May 19, 9:42 AM
    • 592 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    muhandis
    • 24th May 19, 9:42 AM
    • 24th May 19, 9:42 AM
    From my experience with brokers (and even solicitors), it doesn't matter whether they're physically accessible or not. Everything can be done online and over the phone.

Much more important is how good the individual broker you are dealing with is - responsiveness, attention to detail and experience.

From what you have said, no you are not tied in to the first broker.

is it a big advantage to go with a broker based in the same.city? Also am i tied in to the first broker now they have given me an A.I.P although it is not from bank and no searches have been done on my credit.file?
    Originally posted by Abigail1990
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

4,732Users online

Martin's Twitter