Bank want tree removed before mortgage

HI all, I am in the process of buying a house. I had a homebuyer report done on it which highlighted a small tree planted very close to the house. The bank (TSB) then requested a arboricultural report on all the trees on the property which I had done at my expense. The tree report again brought up the tree with a recommendation the tree is removed to avoid potential damage to the house down the line, also pointing out the tree is unstable. TSB now want this done, along with proof it has been done before they will revise the valuation and proceed with the mortgage.

Is it reasonable for me to request the seller has the tree removed? The house is empty so I doubt they will care about loosing the tree. But from a cost point of view I have already paid out hundreds for the reports and don't want to pay to remove a tree to a house I don't yet own. Yet I can see they may think it is my problem? :huh:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You can request it. They may or may accept though.

I would expect their initial reaction to be that you need to pay for it, but it depends on how desperate they are to keep the sale.
  • Amst
    Amst Posts: 141 Forumite
    As mentioned above it will depend on who is more desperate - you to buy, or them to sell.

They should be savvy enough to realise if they remarket the property they will encounter this with the next buyer and it won't go away so it may be in their best interests to remove it to make the house more attractive from a security point of view to a lender.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,433 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It’s their problem if it makes the property unmortgagable. Why should you pay?
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    You could ask the lender if they would agree to proceed based on you signing an undertaking to removing the tree within 3 months of your completion. That is what our lender requested of us when we bought.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    a small tree planted very close to the house
    How big is a "small" tree?

What does a saw and a sachet of stump killer cost, or am I missing something?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    As above, how small is small 10ft/20ft/30ft ??

If its less than 20ft tall, a competant person with a ladder and a chainsaw can remove it quite easily in an afternoon for very little cost, of course if its much bigger than that, a tree surgeon will be required.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Is it reasonable for me to request the seller has the tree removed?

Absolutely yes. This is very routine.
    But from a cost point of view I have already paid out hundreds for the reports and don't want to pay to remove a tree to a house I don't yet own.

You don't pay for it. The vendor does. Unless the vendor refuses to pay for it and you then decide if you want to pay for it and proceed.

When buying our place, our vendor had to pay over £5000 for various things to get resolved. They wanted the sale. They paid for it.

Day rate on a tree surgeon is around £360.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure