Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 17th Jun 08, 10:35 AM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Home Insurance Discussion
    • 17th Jun 08, 10:35 AM
    Home Insurance Discussion 17th Jun 08 at 10:35 AM

This discussion relates to the

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

If you've reduced the amount of your home insurance with cashback please report your success to encourage others
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 25-03-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Page 32
    • KrzyKat
    • By KrzyKat 17th May 19, 5:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KrzyKat
    House insurance query
    Hi

I am trying to sort out house insurance as its due for renewal but I'm currently working abroad which means my house is empty except when I get a flight home every 5 weeks for the weekend.
    How would this be classified by the insurance companies? Unoccupied, just normal, holiday or something else?

Thanks for the help

KrzyKat
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 17th May 19, 5:49 PM
    • 6,945 Posts
    • 19,805 Thanks
    Doc N
    Hi

I am trying to sort out house insurance as its due for renewal but I'm currently working abroad which means my house is empty except when I get a flight home every 5 weeks for the weekend.
    How would this be classified by the insurance companies? Unoccupied, just normal, holiday or something else?

Thanks for the help

KrzyKat
    Originally posted by KrzyKat

Each company will have its own terms on dealing with absences, but you may find thereís a hefty additional premium, along with cover restrictions, for absences in excess of a month or so.
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 30th May 19, 5:56 PM
    • 784 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    Rich2808
    Following the MSE cheap home insurance search I tried the Age Co listed with an apparently Hot deal of £75 M&S voucher. Its a lot of a discount but gets dwarfed but exceedingly high quotes.
    With the quote from them £300 !!! higher than my current renewal (like for like) no voucher would persuade me to go with it.
    Shockingly high quote so hope the £75 voucher will not give an impression that you might get a good deal there.

Hope this might save someone some time
    Originally posted by Hometinker
    I did a similar quote for my elderly mother who is in her 80s.

Her quote from Ageco - for a slightly worse policy than her current insurer (who offer £1m buildings cover whereas Ageco only offer a maximum of £500k) - was more than double her renewal quote. A whopping £550 higher!

Absolutely shocking - for a company that markets itself as offering lower premiums for elderly people. So she won't be taking advantage of the £65 M&S voucher either!
    • SimbaK2K
    • By SimbaK2K 31st May 19, 8:39 AM
    • 799 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    SimbaK2K
    Insurancing New Home at Contract Exchange
    Hi All,

I'm in the process of buying a new house and need to have insurance cover in place on exchanging contracts, as I'll also need to cover the existing property until we move out it looks like I need two insurance policies. The company I am with QuoteMeHappy doesn't provide temporary house insurance when moving and simply mentions you may want to cancel your policy if you need that.

So the question is, can I get a second insurance product on the new house using my same no claims bonus that is currently in use on my existing property?

Alternatively I think I can get a second insurance on the new house without no claims bonus, then when I move transfer the old policy to the new house and cancel the newly purchased insurance that would then be redundant.

Any ideas?
    • davidwatts
    • By davidwatts 31st May 19, 7:31 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    davidwatts
    So the question is, can I get a second insurance product on the new house using my same no claims bonus that is currently in use on my existing property?
    Originally posted by SimbaK2K
    You're confusing how car insurance works with how home insurance works! There's no such thing as a no claim bonus that you can move from one insurer to another for home insurance. Home insurers may or may not offer a specific no claims bonus/discount or they might just take your claims experience into account as part of their pricing.

It's not an issue, so just get the quotes you need for the new property and go for the one that comes at the best price (whether with or without the benefit of a no claim discount) and meets your needs in terms of cover.
    • EasyLay
    • By EasyLay 2nd Jun 19, 4:05 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    EasyLay
    I'm currently looking at home insurance. One of the questions I'm asked about is how many years I haven't claimed for. I tried to claim for a stolen smartphone a few months ago but the insurer disputed the claim and said I was no longer covered (as they had dropped the gadget insurance from my policy a few months earlier - which is another story altogether).

My question is; would this still count as a claim? I was essentially claiming for something I was no longer covered for under my policy so of course received no money.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 2nd Jun 19, 5:23 PM
    • 39,245 Posts
    • 23,205 Thanks
    Quentin
    To be on the safe side ask your chosen insurer before you buy. Home insurance is not something you want to risk being voided at the time of a claim!

The question asks about claims ( not "successful" claims)

If they give you the answer you want then ask them to confirm the conversation back to you in writing
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 2nd Jun 19, 5:53 PM
    • 6,945 Posts
    • 19,805 Thanks
    Doc N
    Certainly the question relates to all claims and not just successful ones.

Some insurers are now taking that even further and penalising customers just for asking whether a claim can be made for something. Their line is that something has happened which might make the customer a riskier prospect, and itís difficult to argue with the logic of that.
    • Topcat_222
    • By Topcat_222 3rd Jun 19, 9:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Topcat_222
    leasehold insurance
    We currently live in a mortgaged property and have done so for five years. We have to prove our insurance to our leasehold owners every year thus paying £2.50 in ground rent each year. This is all fine as these are the terms of the lease. My question is are the lease holders allowed to determine who we insure our house with each year? We have asked neighbours who have the same lease owners as us, but have recently discovered there are not bound by choice. Our lease owners are the Compton group and have stated we must be underwritten by zurich. Although zurich are no longer taking new customers , we have to use a broker. How do we even find out who the zurich underwrite to. Also would we have a case to complain as our neighbours insure freely. Any help would appreciated. TC
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,225Posts Today

6,132Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin