Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 8:11 AM
    • 4,514Posts
    • 50,950Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 8:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 8:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 7:24 AM.
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 158
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 8th May 19, 9:53 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 27,493 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    You can pop a vacuum sealed pouch in a kettle and heat it that way - never having bought a pouch of ready cooked food I do not know if it is vacuum sealed, however.

We take a rigid cold box away with us and put a bag of ice in it to keep everything cold for a weekend's camping. As long as you keep the food in sealable boxes so the water does not ruin them - works with salads, yogurt, milk, meat, butter and cheese (and of course wine and beer )
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (£59,998) Q1 £26,828 or 44.71% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 £29,215.99 after May
    Save £12k in 2019 - #68 target is £7k £4,998.99 or 71.41% after May
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is £3k - 36.16% spent so far, after May
    My DFD is here
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 8th May 19, 10:44 AM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 15,825 Thanks
    rtandon27
    GP - on the subject of rigid boxes...

A couple of icepacks in the bottom does the trick even for raw meat & fish for a couple of days...

Back in the days when outdoorishness was an option (read that as across the pond many years ago) we would pack meat & fish at the bottom of the box just on top of the ice packs - why would this be relevant to you - avid vegetarian (or is that pescatarian) that you are? - Well we never got sick after cooking & consuming those two risky items & the weather in those parts of the country were much much hotter than any summer here! All that to say with my delicate stomach, I've lived to tell the tale, so veggie items will be more than safe...

As an aside - my Gran would never put anything with mayo in a pack-up as she felt egg anything was too risky when not eaten fresh.

We've heated those micro-pouches in a pot of boiling water with great success - back in the day before my favorite gadget, there were boil-in-bag meals, so my theory is there is not much difference to the micro-meals (Check out Wayfayrer meals on @mazon - they are way too expensive, but similar to the rice & lentil pouches)
    2.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th May 19, 10:44 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 15,372 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Couscous works with just a kettle in said budget hotels, add boiling water, cover tub and wait. The ones with flavourings are ok, and you can always add some seeds for protein. MrM do some dried vegetables for about 60p a pack that rehydrate nicely with water.

Also our £stretcher have some miso soup with glass noodle kits that just use a kettle. OH took one to work today, He says filling and spicy, much better than cup type soups. Clearly he ate it for breakfast, rather than lunch as intended. 2 servings for £1.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 8th May 19, 7:14 PM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 50,950 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Suffolk lass - I've not really ever bought the type of pouch food that I'm talking about, before either. I certainly won't be making a habit of it (not that cheap?), but for this trip, it would help keep costs down (ironically) versus eating out for 2 meals a day , and means we can actually get away - which to me is the important bit, so I'm determined to get creative - without recklessly endangering our health

rtandon - that's great. I was looking at 'tailgate party' type coolers with wheels and everything....... the world is my oyster! Not too sure yet whether to go for cheap and cheerful 10 - 12 hr coolness version or whether to invest in a 'camping brand' one that claims to offer up to 30hrs coolness. The latter would clearly be an investment, but we would use it - so over it's life span, it would become pennies per use, I guess. But there is also the issue of external size/fitting in the car-boot.

It's interesting how notions of 'food safety' evolve, isn't it? And yet all our forebears lived in much filthier conditions than we all (notionally) do today. I was raised on a farm, and feel there was possibly a bit more muck under my fingernails than would be deemed polite in this day and age.........

redo - I don't actually like the taste of some of the 'flavoured' cous cous packets Perhaps I over did buying the AH ones that were pennies from AF in it's (cheap) heyday........ Same thing with (some) of the better known brand noodle pots. But the concept is right - it's just finding the ones we like. I've discovered that the 'Mershant Gor-may' brand cooked lentils can be eaten from the packet cold. Teamed with a tin of chickpeas, I would be half-way to making the lemony lentil and chickpea salad that I made for tea the other night. It's got me thinking! But thank you for mentioning £stretch3r - I need to have a look at the various offerings in various shops, to see what I can come up with. And also thank you for mentioning putting in seeds etc to the mixes - that is really simple to do, and will ramp up the nutritional content - Thank You

I knew the MSE crew would have ideas! Thank you Mucho, mucho to ponder

I did get some bits and bobbles today - and I did get wet My 'best' waterproof coat is not waterproof At some point, I will have to have a go at re-proofing it. Never had much luck with the wash-in versions tho........

Aren't washing-up gloves expensive.........

BG has been very sleepy again today - another growth spurt? But really quite well-behaved - which sounds horrible written down like that. I DO realise that little children are just boundary testing and learning and there are phases etc. I think I worry when BG is acting up by a busy road, or where there are lots of people who are intent on walking through you rather than round you - I worry about my ability to protect BG, not what people think about a toddler melt-down - or indeed that BG is having one. BG has a cheerful little personality developing, and I for one am grateful

Tea this evening was lentil bolognese with spirally pasta BG had macaroni with their bolognese, but did try the 'new' pasta shape off papa's plate - and deemed it 'acceptable' There is a small portion of pasta left, a double portion of tomato/vegetable sauce and a double portion of lentils. So bolognese for another day BG had some of the 'wonky' YS'd grapes from mrAl with some yoghurt for dessert. The grapes are holding up well - and we've another punnet in the fridge to look forward to. My avocado this morning had a teeny black stone in the middle, which was difficult to extract, but the avocado tasted just fine - and the small pit meant more flesh, so win-win

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

kind words about BG's development - uttered by someone I respect

another store-cupboard tea

help and ideas-floating from the MSE crew - thank you for your input and making me THINK

Thanks for taking the time to pop in. Greatly appreciated.

Greying X
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th May 19, 7:40 PM
    • 63,820 Posts
    • 283,195 Thanks
    beanielou
    Everything is getting so expensive
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 9th May 19, 6:40 AM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 50,950 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Damp one with us again.

A play-date and HM lunch to look forward to today with a newish chum Really, really nice people - so glad BG found the for us

I've got access to the car, so may be able to shoe-horn in some research of cool boxes in outlier retail places. We'll see if I have time. Technically there is no real rush to purchase the cool box, so I shall take my time and try to get the 'best' one for our needs and likely budget.

Will probably be a lsd today, rather than a nsd.

Can't think of owt else

Thank you for popping by. Know that you are appreciated. Greatly.

Greying X

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 9th May 19, 9:23 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 27,493 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Your mention of a tailgate party made me think on...

Just to add, I have a rigid plastic cool box that plugs into the "cigarette lighter" in the boot of the car and runs like a mini-fridge while the car engine is going - it was £30 and worth the extra pennies for us as we do a road trip of 1500 miles to N Scotland and Southern Europe (to a house, but drive over 3 days with visits) twice a year and camping weekend. I pre-freeze butter, meat (fish) and cheese then it also acts as freezer blocks to keep everything cold and edible - a bit like this one (link) but bought from the local hardware store. If you are going a fair way it is worth considering

(I also use it sometimes if I buy frozen good in the SM, but I am not convinced as it all needs re-packing and plugging in and we are under ten miles from the SM). Once the engine is off my car kills the charge but lots don'e so might be worth considering - some have conventional plugs as well as 12v, so suit caravan owners with electric hook-up
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (£59,998) Q1 £26,828 or 44.71% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 £29,215.99 after May
    My DFD is here
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 9th May 19, 7:25 PM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 50,950 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

t0 dearest beanie

Also our £stretcher have some miso soup with glass noodle kits that just use a kettle. OH took one to work today, He says filling and spicy, much better than cup type soups. Clearly he ate it for breakfast, rather than lunch as intended. 2 servings for £1.
    Originally posted by redofromstart

Ah ha! Thank you redo for mentioning these - I popped into our local £str3tcher today (was one of a total of 3 customers.......) and found these boxes easy-peasy M1$0 tasty glass noodle meal kit for 99p So I have bought a box to try it out I also came across pots of instant porridge - NOT our usual go-to breakfast which is 'proper' porridge oats - but darn useful for 'travelling' breakfasts and in apple & blueberry flavour, which we've not seen before, so for 29p each, I gave a couple of pots a try

Your mention of a tailgate party made me think on...

Just to add, I have a rigid plastic cool box that plugs into the "cigarette lighter" in the boot of the car and runs like a mini-fridge while the car engine is going - it was £30 and worth the extra pennies for us as we do a road trip of 1500 miles to N Scotland and Southern Europe (to a house, but drive over 3 days with visits) twice a year and camping weekend. I pre-freeze butter, meat (fish) and cheese then it also acts as freezer blocks to keep everything cold and edible - a bit like this one (link) but bought from the local hardware store. If you are going a fair way it is worth considering

(I also use it sometimes if I buy frozen good in the SM, but I am not convinced as it all needs re-packing and plugging in and we are under ten miles from the SM). Once the engine is off my car kills the charge but lots don'e so might be worth considering - some have conventional plugs as well as 12v, so suit caravan owners with electric hook-up
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass

Suffolk lass - i have actually previously thought about an 'electric' coolbox as (luckily) we have 'cigarette lighter' adaptors in the boot of our car. But I was put off by the 'possible' lack of size (internally?) of these boxes? Plus I once read a review (which may have been bias/incorrect/malicious etc etc) that claimed that the 'top down' fan (?) ones didn't do a comprehensive job of cooling the contents of the box. I expect it was in the 'cheaper' end of the price bracket that this occurs. Re-freezing ice blocks presents a problem on a 'longer' trips - which the 'electric' boxes overcome. But the ice-block boxes have more space...... dilemma.......... I'm not ruling out an electric version, but I'm not totally sure i would be happy if I had one......... DH has an aversion to them draining the battery - which is a (outside?) possibility if you are using it 24/7 for I trip I guess??????

We have had a ball today.

Our 'new' chums are just a delight and just so, so, so very nice and such good company. And so generous. So very, very generous. To be made lunch is such a treat for me - and to have someone think about what to offer, and to present it so beautifully......... I'm one blessed woman And BG was just in their element with their bestest chum in the whole, wide-world. Can you imagine hearing spontaneous giggles from children? That's what we heard - punctuating our conversation - over and over today

I did spend money today. We went to a retail emporium that sells a bit of allsorts. I went to reccy their coolboxes - and I'm glad I'd had 2 secs to catch Suffolk lass's post, as they do stock electric coolboxes and so I had a look at alot of boxes! The good thing was that they had my 'first choice' (as I had thought) in stock. Despite it having good reviews and it being just in budget - at the top end for a 'performance' box - it had one major flaw. It was.too.darn.HUGE!!!! So that is crossed off my christmas list! I did however pick up a couple of 'camping' mugs which are insulated and keep drinks hot(ter) outside if you're out and about, and 2 drinking bottles for BG that had nice designs and were a fraction of the price of ones we'd seen up the high street. I may get a couple more, so that we can stash one in the car, one in the buggy etc etc. so that BG can easily get a drink if we're out and about.

I picked up a couple of grocery bits in mrAl, and an unexpected purchase of some 'fat quarters' (R.A.N.D.O.M!!!) in a print with one of BG's favourite characters on them. As DH said, 'I didn't know mrAl did sewing supplies!'

So, a more spendy day than intended, but we got stuff that is actually needed and which will be used.

Tea was pizza pasta buffet, using pizza from the freezer (HM and frozen) and pasta with black olives and the veg/tomato sauce that I made yesterday (will have to make some more if we need more lentil bolognese! ).

Today I am grateful for....... so much. So very, very much.

We have new friends that are wonderful, interesting, kind, intelligent, creative....... I'm including in this friends that we've made in the last 5 year+ ( you know who you are ), and we've opportunities abounding. Mucho, mucho to look forward to. Because of online chums, we've avenues to consider, and foodstuffs to try out, and new places to explore in the future And BG was so well behaved today, and so pleased to see their chum, and behaved so well - even when it was time to leave they said thank you (and meant it) and please (and meant it) and kissed & hugged their chum bye-bye in a way that broke my heart with proud-ness..............................

Greying X

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th May 19, 8:26 PM
    • 63,820 Posts
    • 283,195 Thanks
    beanielou
    What a lovely day to have

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th May 19, 7:31 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 27,493 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Cold box experience
    Morning GP - my last word on cold boxes - I never use the ice blocks - I make the cost sacrifice of 99p for a bag of SM ice which I burst and pour in to surround the storage boxes - then if/when it melts (It typically lasts 2 days with us) I get another while I am away. It has the advantages that
    • it surrounds each item, keeping everything cold (hence the need for sealable boxes)
    • it takes up little or no space beyond the dead space that an ice block would not fit in
    • there is the odd ice cube to cool down a drink
    • it pours away at the end and is no cost to the envronment beyond freezing

My friend gave me a small stack of around a dozen plastic boxes with lids (takeaway boxes?) that are perfect for stacking in the box and fit "sideways". Combined with some of the food being frozen when it goes in we have managed this system for a week with no problems in a normal medium sized electric box that we top up only when the car is already running.

I was also concerned about the top taking up too much space but the internal space is adequate if you are smart about what you store - the main thing is you must not stack on top of it when you pack up the car. I have been known to put it behind one of the front seats, in the foot-well and plug it into the "entertainment system" (non existent in our car) power supply between the front seats - you can hear it but it is not too apparent.

There is no branding on mine but the safety sticker on the lid says Connabride (Ireland). I would recommend it (I also have Coleman chest boxes in different sizes including one with a hinged lid and rope handles (good for parties!) but that is 150qt size and humungous - the electric one is so much easier and more compact.

Anyway - happy deliberations, I hope my ramblings help
    My DFD is here
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th May 19, 7:44 PM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 50,950 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Thanks Suffolk lass - I'm grateful for your input. I'm thinking VERY hard about what I actually need the coolbox to do 'the most'. If we were still tent camping, it would be a powered box, no problem. But I'm still wondering whether a 'passive' box would meet our 'actual' - ie non-camping- needs, better. But I'm not rushing into it, and I'll have a look around. The trouble is with on-line reviews, you read one which says, 'the X1000StayKool is the best thing since sliced bread' and then the next review says, 'waste of money, the x1000staykool broke in two on our first outing. Avoid, avoid, avoid'.

We've had a spiffy day today We had real quality 'family time' for the first time in what seems a long-time. And in some ways, for the first time ever, (given how BG is just growing up so very fast ) We did spend money; some money went on things for BG. Some money went on a gift for a chum (and supported a local artisan ) And we spent some money having a bun and a cuppa in Valerie's pat-a-cakey emporium. I'm glad we've been - we were PV virgins, but there are some things that only need to be done once in a life-time. This is most definitely one of them. The service was E.X.C.E.L.L.E.N.T - which is to be able to say But the cake......... um, hard........ and difficult to eat - even with the supplied knives.........

Tea this evening was dhal, l/o channa masala, coconutty lentils (used the l/o lentils from the other night's bolognese making) and rice. BG was insistent that they didn't want ANY dhal (didn't even try to get it near their plate!) and had pesto pasta and cheese instead.

The next 2 weeks are going to be full-on with 'stuff' - most of it good, but also several things I really dunna wanna do...... But that's life, eh? good with the bad, rough with smooth, ups with downs. Anyhoo, if I disappear, know that all is likely to be well. I'm just asleep or out of wiffy range

my family

the sunshine

getting chores done

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 19, 8:03 PM
    • 63,820 Posts
    • 283,195 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you have had a good day

***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th May 19, 6:29 AM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 50,950 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

We've woken to sunshine - hope it is with you too

BG was up with the larks But did actually accept a lie-in, in ma & pa's bed for a little while longer. Little people are so squirmy when they 'sleep' though, aren't they?

The nice weather will invite a chore-fest today, which is just as well, as it'll be good to get ahead, as I know it'll all snowball and overtake me again before this next 2 weeks or so is up. So at least I can say, 'I tried'

I've no idea what is for tea. We seem particularly low on vegetables (bit of a sad state of affairs in a veggie household! ). H3r0n have put up the prices of their bags of frozen vegetables, so I've been putting off buying more, in the hope I would discover a 'reasonably priced' source again. Trouble is, I rarely - if ever - get the chance to 'browse' in mrAl and mrL - and even less so in iceyland and fArmf00ds, so I've really no idea who does offer the least expensive (but edible) offering anymore Fiddlesticks to rising prices!

BG is definitely a bit squeaky sulky this morning Hope it's not going to be a long day There is too much to do, and the weather is too nice for sulking Wish us luck

Can't think of owt else to natter on about., so I best vamoose.

Ta for popping by. Greatly appreciated. As ever.

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th May 19, 6:08 PM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 50,950 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Went the day well?

Ours has been pretty spiffy After lunch, a big knock at the door had me opening it, expecting to be met by some earnest soul, campaigning for some party or t'other, but instead I was met with an empty doorstep........ as I stuck my head out, a young man came running back to the door, pressed a parcel from the 'big forest' company into my hand and ran off again I did say thank you, and he shouted, 'you're welcome' over his shoulder.......... A glance at the box revealed it to be for BG But we weren't expecting anything, so it was a mystery........

It turns out, a friend had heard BG had broken an item, and had thoughtfully made moves to replace it... (with a better, more robust model). How kind, how very, very kind. And how lucky is BG to have such people in their life, who care so much for them?

I'm actually glad that I have 'here' to record such kindnesses and good stuff that happens to BG - and Family Greying - because it allows me to express my gratitude, and serves as a reminder that there is usually good in every day - today we got it in abundance

In between fiddle-faddling and clothes folding, I have mostly been doing more fiddle-faddling Lunch was cheese & tommy sangers, using my YS'd wArburt0ns bread from HB. T'was only a small loaf (i got 2), but every penny saved helps

Tea this evening was a salad bowl, because I had to make summat outta bits & bobs, having used the oven chips the other night to make a meal, because we couldn't have pizza, 2 nights on the trot I ended up making; lemony lentils and chickpea salad, pugilese beetroot salad, marinated cherry toms, served with wild rocket, and a one egg thin omlette which was served with sliced avocado (half each) and toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Thankfully it fitted the weather conditions (luck, not judgement ), filled a gap, and tasted nice - DH specifically said, 'thank you for that tea, it was lovely'........ *knockmeoverwithafeathersmiley*

I was reading an article about foodbanks on the BBC website today (do not feel obliged to click on the link) - an interesting 5 minute read. It won't tell you anything you don't necessarily already know; but I thought the community pantries were a really good idea - far better than perfectly good food getting skipped.

BG's improving mood as the day wore on (couple of false starts and a kicked ankle (mine ), but that was all, so.......)

kind and generous peeps

food in our cupboards, on our table and in our tummies.

And yes, before you ask, BG did love their gift AND the box that it came in

Ta for popping in. Very, very much appreciated. As ever.

Greying X

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 13th May 19, 5:41 PM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 15,825 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Glad to hear BGs mood has improved!

to the kicked ankle - are we at terrible twos now or troublesome threes? I've lost count dearest GP!
    2.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 17th May 19, 4:14 PM
    • 5,817 Posts
    • 48,088 Thanks
    Igamogam

to the kicked ankle - are we at terrible twos now or troublesome threes? I've lost count dearest GP!
    Originally posted by rtandon27

....followed by the fearsome fours and the frightful fives.......doesnt get any easier just more interesting
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th May 19, 6:48 PM
    • 8,708 Posts
    • 44,576 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw, what a lovely thoughtful gift from your friend GP!

I always marvel at the effort and creativity that goes into your dinner I'm actually planning a curry tonight but it'll be the first time I've cooked anything other than stir fry and omelette for weeks
    Mortgage overpayments £1200 in 2018, £189.55 in 2019
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th May 19, 7:20 PM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 50,950 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

to the kicked ankle - are we at terrible twos now or troublesome threes?
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    ....followed by the fearsome fours and the frightful fives.......doesnt get any easier just more interesting
    Originally posted by Igamogam

LA LA LA - I've my fingers fixed firmly in my ears - can't hear neither of you - LA LA LA LA LA - Greying, currently on long-term vacation in De-Nile.....

Aw, what a lovely thoughtful gift from your friend GP!
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff

Absolutely Cheery, they are thoughtful thru & thru We're lucky to have them in our lives

End of week one of 'stuff & chaos' another week to go.

I've been keeping out of mischief (mostly). Spending relatively wisely And eating from the freezer or storecupboard with supplemental 'bits'. Got some super YS'd avocados in mrS the other day - 2 for 75p (normally £1.50) lovely and big and ripe. So similar price to mrAl for 4 (I did buy 2 packs) but bigger fruit and nicely ripening. Also got a couple of nets of satsumas - normally £1, YS'd to 39p. Look like nowt, but wonderfully juicy and tasty, and as yet, no pips

This week I've been most grateful for;

sunshine,

pack-up snap,

friends,

an opportunity to do something 'fun' & for the heck of it

kindnesses

Mustache. Loads to do. Probs not going to be around much at all for the next wee while. But I'll be back.

Ta for popping by. Appreciated. As ever.

Greying X

• Paspatur
    • By Paspatur 25th May 19, 5:42 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 1,047 Thanks
    Paspatur
    Hi Greying just delurking on your thread (which I love) Two of my favourite things are food and children, I have 3 adult children and 6 grandchildren. You obviously love cooking and children. You seem to have got in a rut with cooking lately, not a criticism I had a period when I gave up as kids wanted pizza and other ready food rather than home cooked meals. I was looking for a recipe today and found this site with numerous lovely veg recipes and I thought you would like it. Seems to be dormant now but some great recipes albeit most contain potatoes, which is not a bad thing in my opinion. I can see me using these recipes in correlation with Lidl or Aldi veg offers. http://www.thedailyspud.com/recipes/
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 26th May 19, 9:14 AM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 50,950 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Thanks for the link Paspatur. I'm not sure lack of recipes is contributing to my cooking malaise, I rather think it is a combination of factors that have just coalesced at the same time. Which purely co-incidentally I have given much thought to this past week.

One of the factors is the town where I live is fast becoming a food desert - for people who don't have transport to the outer reaches where all the supermarkets are located. Formerly, I could walk (and have walked) miles to these outlying supermarkets. Now that I have BG, I cannot, easily do that - and with summer beginning to rev up, it will further curb our ability to venture too far in roasting hot sunshine. Our local greengrocer sometimes has fruit and veg that is within my budget. Most times, they do not. M&$ is only affordable (for me) when they YS items, but the quality of the produce is not always good for eating - despite sell by dates etc etc. I have seen 'fresh' basil covered in grey mould before now - YS'd. Even YS'd, it was not fit for consumption. The express/local/mini/little supermarkets do not routinely carry a wide range of fruit and vegetables and are priced for convenience, not for households on a budget. I do not pass most of these shops when they finally do their mark-downs, which I appreciate can sometimes be very good. Many years ago, there used to be a thriving vibrant market that sold all manner of fruit, veg, meat, game, fish etc. It now sells 'polished' veg for wannabe insta-gram-publishers and has a champagne bar...............

DH is in charge of getting provisions from the supermarket on most occasions, as it can be incorporated into travel to work journeys. My DH is a good bloke, but has not got the knack of shopping. He can only work to a list, and gets what is on the list. If I put 'cucumber' that is what I get, not the biggest, or the freshest, or the least yellow..... I get a cucumber. And as for bagged salads.......................... In his defence, and I'm sure others will agree, the 'discounters' are popular, and they also don't carry much stock. When it's gone, it is gone. Which is fair enough. But you can't rely on them to have what you wish to purchase, and whilst we are generally happy to 'go without' - it does sometimes booger up a meal plan.......................

This week has shown me that is is not just a phenomena in Greying Town. I have been to several places that regard themselves as 'foodie' capitals. I was met with the same scene. Why was a food hub for 'local' people empty, the fruit and veg mouldering away to unattractive limpness; whilst everyone was in the local mrT, filling their trolleys with french sticks and gin................. The prices in the local hub, whilst 'real' and possibly 'fair' (to the producer) would be way above affordable for the average wage of the area. I have seen (in both greengrocers and supermarkets) british asparagus the size of tree trunks! Why would anyone buy it? The bottom of the stem is woody and inedible - at best, only fit for stock. But why pay £2-3 for a bunch of something that you would use half of for stock? I can't afford to do that. And I am not ashamed to admit it.

BG is just being a small person with regard to food. I wish they were far more adventurous with their food choices, but they are not But actually, their food choices don't break the bank - they break mumma's heart that they are so BEIGE! but they don't break the bank.

I have actually made some nice food lately Using tins, jars, vac-pacs and chilled, I made a really nice salad plate, which included; lemony lentil (tinned) and chickpea (also tinned) salad, marinated cherry toms, beetroot, wild rocket (I selected the bag..... ) and grilled halloumi. And also we had courgette and chickpea korma curry - the courgettes were 'fresh' (£1.20 for three - but proportionately cheaper than buying 'loose' ), the chickpeas tinned and the korma sauce was actually a jarred Organic brand that was on sale for 69p in h3r0n - it would retail for at least double in a supermercado. This was teamed with a mixed bean masala and some basmati rice. Utilising Suffolk Lass's idea about ice cube packs from supermercados, we were able to get some cardboard box fish, and oven chips from an 'express' supermarket and get them back safely into the icebox, on a Sunday, when we'd lost track of time and were too far from our base and a regular supermarket that was closing at 4pm..... BG ate a breaded fish, some chips, but turned their nose up at (tinned) mushy peas!

Taking a pack-up lunch everyday meant that we could have treats. I found it interesting that a venue that is closely associated with a 'celebritee' food-lover (I refuse to call them a chef, as they are not), yielded HM style, tasty, interesting cakes and coffee for £5 LESS than we had paid recently at a national chain of val's cake shops, where the coffee was indifferent, and the cake appeared 'mass-produced' and not the least bit tasty. However, we also had coffee and cake at an highly independent, local, hipster, insta-gram-publishers dream cafe, which was only 60p cheaper than the celebritee food-lover's gaff, and yielded some of the driest, burntest, un-tastiest cake that I have tried to eat in a very long time. The coffee was lovely though. But as we are talking about costs that range from £12.50 - £18+, just for coffee and cake, I think that I am changing my mind about chastising myself for appearing 'mean' to take our own refreshments to places. There seems to be little value for money available. Interestingly, I did notice that several 'chains' of coffee shops were heaving with punters. Small local cafes had few, if any punters. One cafe that we always tried to visit when were were in the area (haven't been for a few years now) had ceased trading all together. When we first went there, it was a co-operative style venture, that offered opportunites for adult learners to gain employment experience.

I think what I'm saying (to myself) is that this period of time is throwing up difficulties, and new situations. I can do much more than I perhaps sometimes do. But I also need to cut myself some slack. We are sometimes exhausted, and can't do anymore than we manage. For those times, beans on toast has to suffice.

However, I have been thinking alot about food and our diet - particularly this past week, and it could do with revitalising, from an ingredients point of view. I still don't know how I go about changing my cooking activity, in a kitchen that is too small to have BG around safely when I am cooking; but if BG is not with me, they are out of sight in our house, and are now old-enough to get up to plenty of mischief in a nano-second........

Plenty to keep me occupied in problem-solving and away from retail-emporiums spending money, anyhoo

Greying X

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,825Posts Today

6,189Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin