Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneylover
    • By moneylover 19th Jun 12, 9:02 PM
    • 1,626Posts
    • 408Thanks
    moneylover
    0 WOW
    Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted?
    • 19th Jun 12, 9:02 PM
    0 WOW
    Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted? 19th Jun 12 at 9:02 PM
    Have been dithering over National Trust membership for husband and myself wondering if I will get enough use to pay almost 70. We are going to Northern Ireland for a few days and will go to a couple of properties and several beaches where you pay for parking so would get some good use right away.
    Just wondered if there were any offers anyone knew of? Thank you
Page 11
    • monkeyspanner
    • By monkeyspanner 19th Jul 15, 1:13 PM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 1,933 Thanks
    monkeyspanner
    In the NT car park we use they check membership cards and often scan the barcode. Not happy about the barcode thing, "NT is watching you".
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 19th Jul 15, 3:36 PM
    • 7,054 Posts
    • 19,906 Thanks
    Doc N
    In the NT car park we use they check membership cards and often scan the barcode. Not happy about the barcode thing, "NT is watching you".
    Originally posted by monkeyspanner
    Possibly - but not anything like as much, or as intensively, as any website, including this one, is.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 12th Jan 16, 6:12 PM
    • 7,054 Posts
    • 19,906 Thanks
    Doc N
    Happy New Year, Moneysavers!

Another year in which to save money at National Trust places using the New Zealand card. My word, it's saved a few bob since I got it in 2012. Entry into lots of NT houses and gardens and a few English Heritage ones too. Last year it came in really handy in Cornwall. Lovely gardenson the coast...excellent! Car park attendants were happy to allow us in and park for free although one car park attendant (Holywell near Newquay) gave me a good talking to about depriving the NT of funds etc etc...but then let us in the car park for free and didn't ask us for the 2.50 fee.

By the way, where's Quetu when you need him? Haven't had any banter with him for ages.
    Originally posted by Stan.In.Devon
    If you're happy to cheat a deserving British charity of much needed income by using a sneaky device like that, fine - most people, I think would see it as underhand, exploitative and mean. Do you haggle in charity shops too, perhaps?

The sooner that loophole's blocked by having to produce proof of residence in New Zealand the better - good thing to raise at the next AGM.
    • qetu1357
    • By qetu1357 13th Jan 16, 8:04 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    qetu1357
    If you're happy to cheat a deserving British charity of much needed income by using a sneaky device like that, fine - most people, I think would see it as underhand, exploitative and mean. Do you haggle in charity shops too, perhaps?

The sooner that loophole's blocked by having to produce proof of residence in New Zealand the better - good thing to raise at the next AGM.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Well said.

I expect he will probably pretend to be a child or a pensioner too to save money on his cup of tea...............
    • theloft
    • By theloft 14th Jan 16, 7:30 AM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    theloft
    I know this is a Money Saving Site, but I cannot believe the lengths some people will go to, especially as the National Trust do such a wonderful job!
    Most of their workers are volunteers too. Come on, play the game and stop pretending you are a New Zealander, South African or whatever and pay a fair price. Any National Trust Members should write in and stop this loophole and unfair practice.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
    • momtothree
    • By momtothree 29th Jul 16, 9:02 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    momtothree
    I'd be very grateful if anyone could share a code that works, other than the free 15 gift card one (J16023).

Thanks.
    • ajtowers
    • By ajtowers 22nd Aug 16, 3:39 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ajtowers
    I've not seen any codes for a while but if you live near a property where they have a membership desk or van it's worth just turning up and asking if they have any offers. I saved 25 on family membership today by doing this. You do have to ask though, don't just look at the prices advertised.
    • dickandjill
    • By dickandjill 4th Nov 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dickandjill
    Will a National Trust for Scotland membership card work in the new car parking machines that are appearing in all the National Trust car parks ?
    • Cunners23
    • By Cunners23 21st Dec 17, 8:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cunners23
    Any current discount codes available for family annual membership? We'd love to sign up but 115 is a bit much for us to stretch to!
    • Paulinuk
    • By Paulinuk 16th Mar 18, 3:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paulinuk
    ?
    Oh what's. Oh?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 16th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 4,980 Posts
    • 3,249 Thanks
    Robin9
    Not read the entire thread but work for them as a volunteer .
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • deanos
    • By deanos 18th Mar 18, 10:26 AM
    • 10,933 Posts
    • 5,599 Thanks
    deanos
    I have just renewed my NZ family membership for 51, this gets access to National Trust and English Heritage sites, if i bought them in the UK it would cost me 216 a 165 premium !

We always spend cash when on the sites on food etc, something they wouldn't get normally because we wouldn't be able to afford visiting these places

The parking isn't an issue as i have yet to visit a site that charges, and if they do i would just pay
    • Alikay
    • By Alikay 19th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 4,931 Posts
    • 13,292 Thanks
    Alikay
    There's a current offer for a 15 National Trust gift card which you can use in the shops and cafes. Code is S17020 if you join online at www.nationaltrust.org.uk

NT membership is not exactly a bargain, but if you like visiting NT properties and were going to join anyway, it's a bit more useful than the usual offers of free binoculars or picnic rugs.
    • dodgy
    • By dodgy 17th May 19, 2:34 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dodgy
    Looks like New Zealand won't be an option moving forward, I received this email this morning:

The new price is 155 for a family - a staggering 360% increase.

As a member of Heritage New Zealand based overseas, we would like to notify you about some significant changes in our overseas membership prices and categories. It is the first time we have increased our prices for some categories in 11 years, so they reflect the truer value of the membership package we offer.

The changes follow an investigation into our membership programme charges and costs. Factors such as dramatically-rising postal charges are impacting us. But it was also clear there was a significant gap between the charges Heritage New Zealand sets for access to NZ and overseas properties and historic places and those of our sister organisations overseas like English Heritage and the National Trust.

We believe the new prices create a like-for-like market for people supporting heritage. Our aim is to promote the message that people overseas can, and should, support their local heritage agencies. The changes enable us to focus more prominently on our New Zealand-based members (and potential new members), as well as overseas members who enjoy visiting and experiencing the unique heritage in New Zealand.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 17th May 19, 2:48 PM
    • 7,054 Posts
    • 19,906 Thanks
    Doc N
    Looks like New Zealand won't be an option moving forward, I received this email this morning:

The new price is 155 for a family - a staggering 360% increase.
    Originally posted by dodgy
    Good news for members of the English National Trust - looks like they've finally paid some heed to the complaints they've been getting from members about this exploitative little trick.
    • dodgy
    • By dodgy 17th May 19, 3:10 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dodgy
    Or you could view it as price fixing .. which is illegal.

There's no way to justify a 360% increase on the back of 'increasing costs', so clearly they've only done it (and chosen the price carefully) to match the English National Trust.

There are obviously other options as this thread outlines, however I suspect those organisations may also end up with similar shady agreements if English NT gets its way.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 17th May 19, 3:18 PM
    • 10,933 Posts
    • 5,599 Thanks
    deanos
    Still $95 (roughly 50) for family membership on NZ just checked , just renewed 2 weeks ago as well, or is this price rise for the future ?

Not received any email
    • dodgy
    • By dodgy 17th May 19, 3:32 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dodgy
    They said it was effective immediately, although they'd allow me to renew at the old rates (as my renewal is up in June) - but yeah, they don't seem to have updated the site yet.

Please note that we will honour our old pricing for current renewals up until midnight 31 July 2019. After this, your membership will be considered as lapsed and will be eligible for the increased pricing. Your next renewal, in 12 months, will of course feature the updated prices. For your information, the new prices and categories are:

Individual adult membership NZ$200
    Family membership NZ$350 (2 adults and school-aged children)
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 17th May 19, 3:55 PM
    • 7,054 Posts
    • 19,906 Thanks
    Doc N
    Or you could view it as price fixing .. which is illegal.

There's no way to justify a 360% increase on the back of 'increasing costs', so clearly they've only done it (and chosen the price carefully) to match the English National Trust.

There are obviously other options as this thread outlines, however I suspect those organisations may also end up with similar shady agreements if English NT gets its way.
    Originally posted by dodgy
    Illegal? I'd love to see you trying to nail that one on a New Zealand charity given two options - put the price up or lose the concession!

English NT are working through the others, as you suspect. And about time too. Let them charge what they want, obviously, but lose the reciprocal arrangement that's being exploited by people intent on cheating a British charity.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 17th May 19, 4:38 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    fred246
    But they aren't cheating because they sometimes buy a coffee when they visit. Surely the odd coffee will pay for hundreds of historic buildings and gardens, miles of coastline and vast areas of beautiful countryside. It seems sad that the bad behaviour of a few Brits threatens a great international collaboration.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

53Posts Today

2,749Users online

Martin's Twitter