TV Licence article Discussion

Comments

• childofbaahl
    childofbaahl Posts: 80 Forumite
    I haven't watched live TV / used iPlayer (being a Doctor Who fan can have its downside... Still haven't seen any of Jodie's Doctor) in so long I forget exactly how many years it has been - I fill out the online declaration every 2-3 years or so and haven't had the misfortune of receiving any letters.

No one has every called at my place and hopefully no one every will but if someone does, do they have a uniform that identifies them as my front door is solid and most times I never know who is there until I open it. Though I am getting another security camera for the front of my property this year.

No issues - Just trawling the forums on a night shift and the idea came to me whilst reading the last 5 or 6 pages.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    No one has every called at my place and hopefully no one every will but if someone does, do they have a uniform that identifies them
    Not as best I can tell. If they did then people wouldn't have to ask them for ID.
    Cheryl
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    cw18 wrote: »
    Not as best I can tell.
    No they don't have a uniform. The typical TVL field worker is a middle-aged man in casual clothing. They used to be equipped with a clipboard, but now a hand-held computer is more likely. There are a few female TVL field staff, but they seem to be a small minority.
    If they did then people wouldn't have to ask them for ID.
    There are only a few instances where uniformed staff are given a presumed authority by laws or bye-laws, and even if TVL gave their staff a uniform, it would still be worthwhile to check their ID.
  • Thanks for the information - I always ask for ID, even from uniformed callers. I'll just stick to the tried / trusted 'Jehovah's witness' response: "Thanks but no thanks" and close the door without confirming or denying anything.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I'll just stick to the tried / trusted 'Jehovah's witness' response: "Thanks but no thanks"
    I've always found that "I'm a blood donor" serves well for discouraging Jehovah's from stopping to chat ;) It's one my Dad used, and it's true for both of us. Not sure it would quite so effectively with Crapita though :D
    Cheryl
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I thought a line of salt across the threshold kept them out.
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    what, JW's or TVL's ?:rotfl: (or both !)
  • childofbaahl
    childofbaahl Posts: 80 Forumite
    I used to know the whole demon exorcism passage used on 'Supernatural' I might give that one a try if they come calling. I do keep a bottle of holy water by the front door for a mini font that I have! :A
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    TVL Goons who visit my house are all either ex cons or old men who wear jumpers on top of a shirt and tie.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    The only one I've seen at my door was a jumped up little s.... with aspirations above his station. He had neither the stature or presence to be anything more than a small annoyance.

The best deterrent to prevent them from entering a property is a locked door. Anti vampire & zombie charms are not (normally) required. A magical spell uttered in old Saxon or Norse comes in handy if the door lock fails.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback