Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 4th Feb 19, 3:29 PM
    • 1,162Posts
    • 512Thanks
    wavelets
    Symbio Energy feedback
    • 4th Feb 19, 3:29 PM
    Symbio Energy feedback 4th Feb 19 at 3:29 PM
    Anyone have any feedback on Symbio Energy?

They seem to be a new supplier; electric only at this time.
    I think they launched 01-Dec-2018.

They are suddenly appearing on a comparison site with quite a competitive price, at least for the Eastern region. (I've not checked other supply regions yet)

Here is their website

https://symbioenergy.co.uk/

Oddly, there is no way to get a quote or switch via their website ; it says you have to call or email them (see their FAQ page, found under Support)

They are currently 100% owned by Dispensary Holdings Limited
    Last edited by wavelets; 04-02-2019 at 6:00 PM.
Page 11
    • Benight
    • By Benight 14th May 19, 8:37 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    Benight
    This is what the new terms and conditions say dobbibill. My direct debit also left this morning (collector sym energy bill). It was just like yours for the actual amount on latest bill. Also a meagre amount for myself just £6.53 as it was only for the period 24th June to May 1st

Terms and conditions say next amount will be the monthly amount you agreed. It will then be used to offset your next bill which will be issued end of month

Here's the an excerpt from the actual email I received explaining it

"In May, you will receive your bill for Aprilís electricity consumption and the Direct debit payment for this will be taken from your account by the 15th May unless otherwise arranged. We will then request another Direct Debit for the May electricity consumption. This will be taken from your account on or around the 3rd June 2019. This will be the May advance payment and will be referenced electricity advance.

In mid-June 2019, we will issue your May 2019 energy bill. Thereafter, you will receive an energy bill on a normal monthly basis thereafter, with the next energy bill issued in the first week of July 2019 and payment taken mid-July 2019."
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    But symbio informed everyone that they would be taking the first direct debit for the sum total of your first bill as per their new terms and conditions so have not contravened any rules unless of course you disagree with their new rules in which case as they specified in their email you are free to seek another supplier
    I am not seeking here to dispute the terms and conditions you refer to.

However, unfortunately those terms and conditions alone do not meet the requirements of advance notice required under the terms of the direct debit scheme.

The advance notice must specify the exact amount, date (and frequency where appropriate) of any collection to be made in the future.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 14th May 19, 10:22 AM
    • 3,841 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    MABLE
    The advance notice must specify the exact amount, date (and frequency where appropriate) of any collection to be made in the future.
    Originally posted by Benight
    With any other organisations I have direct debits set up they do just that.
    • Treewood
    • By Treewood 16th May 19, 7:33 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Treewood
    I see on trustpilot there is a comment about direct debits being taken early. The stated date on my bill is 21st May - they took it on 14th. Not acceptable!
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 16th May 19, 8:10 PM
    • 3,722 Posts
    • 5,014 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    I see on trustpilot there is a comment about direct debits being taken early. The stated date on my bill is 21st May - they took it on 14th. Not acceptable!
    Originally posted by Treewood

My bill said 'due by 18th May but if you are set up for a DD this will be automated' which I took to mean on the monthly DD date rather than on the bill. I was led to believe the bill date was only if you weren't paying by DD.

They will probably take it on the 14th now every month for you as per the posts above about the T&Cs re: paying in advance.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • Treewood
    • By Treewood 16th May 19, 8:58 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Treewood
    Well this is a week earlier than my previous direct debits. But looking at it more carefully the only dates I have specified in my bills are the due dates - no other dates for the direct debits are mentioned. Note: I am expecting to pay a variable rate (depending upon consumption), paid for following receipt of bills.

You quite rightly point out the letter regarding change of terms and conditions, which does indeed mention a direct debit payment in mid May. However one has 21 working days (do they really mean "working days") before they can assume one accepts those terms. I am moving to another supplier - so I do not accept those terms.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 16th May 19, 9:22 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Have you found a cheaper supplier?
    I am moving to another supplier - so I do not accept those terms.
    Originally posted by Treewood
    Have you found a cheaper supplier or is there another reason for your move?
    • Treewood
    • By Treewood 16th May 19, 9:47 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Treewood
    Yes - Yorkshire Energy is marginally cheaper than my "February 19 v2" deal. I accept that Symbio have subsequently brought out other deals which are cheaper still - however I understand they will not let you change your deal.

But my main reason is to leave the ship before it sinks and confused and changing contract terms, so soon after having an agreement does not inspire confidence.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 16th May 19, 11:32 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Welcome to YE
    @Treewood - Welcome to Yorkshire Energy - I joined them on the 24th May from Powershop.

I did consider Symbio but after having carried out some research on the company and directors, I decided to give them a miss.

Your concerns seem with to align my worries about the company.

I suspect you will not be the last person to decide to get out.

Good luck with your switch to YE.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 16th May 19, 11:39 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I'm staying put for now. 3rd June my next direct debit due out. I expect it to be taken then and not before. This was communicated to myself in the revised terms and conditions email
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 17th May 19, 9:24 AM
    • 3,841 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    MABLE
    @Treewood -
    I did consider Symbio but after having carried out some research on the company and directors, I decided to give them a miss.

ck with your switch to YE.
    Originally posted by fewkeste
    I'm not planning to invest my life savings in this company. The downside is minimal and I am staying put. They have made a few mistakes with my account but they were soon rectified and even gave me a goodwill payment.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 17th May 19, 9:44 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I'm with you mable. Mimimal risk
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 22nd May 19, 9:32 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I've come across a slight setback with symbio energy though it's not their fault but natwest banks

I'm a reward account holder and should get 2% cashback on my utility bills. Had no problem with powershop or zog for gas

However natwest do not appear to recognise symbio energy as a domestic energy supplier

Initially they said its because they are a business energy supplier and business accounts do not qualify for rewards

Apparently symbio were a business only supplier before starting to supply domestic premises this year

I've not given up. I've made it quite clear if they recognise defunct companies like iresa they should recognise symbio

I'm even considering switching my bank account in protest if they don't recognise symbio as a utility company
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 24th May 19, 11:17 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Well... I thought it was going too smoothly

At 23:22 on Friday 24th May (very late to receive such a communication and on a bank holiday weekend too) I receive symbio bill number 2

As expected a bill for anticipated usage up to June 2nd. To be collected by direct debit on or around 3rd June. All good so far

But...

I have an outstanding amount on this bill equal to my first bill which I promptly paid by direct debit on 14th May. OK its only £6.53 but it's been paid and shouldn't be on there

Also a lengthy email came with bill acknowledging my loyalty and mentioning the £5 credit which would be taken off this bill due to the revised terms and conditions but nowhere on the actual bill does this credit appear

Finally my usage I supplied to them doesn't seem to have been taken into account with the estimation of my reading for June 2nd

I gave them an annual usage of 2551kwh. That's a monthly usage of 212.58 kWh

So why have they estimated my usage as 222.08. Again only slightly over and a mere matter of £1.24 but surely they should use the figures I supplied

I advise everyone receiving their 2nd bill (first advance one) to check it very carefully

I expect a reduction of £5 loyalty and £6.53 which I've already paid and have already emailed them saying so

2 bills so far and both wrong.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 25th May 19, 12:46 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Come to Yorkshire Energy
    @Tafrock - Yorkshire Energy have got a very competitive tariff at the moment (Green Weasel.) If you do decide to jump ship then don't hang about as they are always bringing out new tariffs based on the forward energy buying contracts they agree.

My experience so far has been absolutely fine.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 25th May 19, 7:19 AM
    • 5,597 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    brewerdave

At 23:22 on Friday 24th May (very late to receive such a communication and on a bank holiday weekend too) I receive symbio bill number 2

As expected a bill for anticipated usage up to June 2nd. To be collected by direct debit on or around 3rd June. All good so far

But...

I have an outstanding amount on this bill equal to my first bill which I promptly paid by direct debit on 14th May. OK its only £6.53 but it's been paid and shouldn't be on there

Also a lengthy email came with bill acknowledging my loyalty and mentioning the £5 credit which would be taken off this bill due to the revised terms and conditions but nowhere on the actual bill does this credit appear

Finally my usage I supplied to them doesn't seem to have been taken into account with the estimation of my reading for June 2nd

So why have they estimated my usage as 222.08. Again only slightly over and a mere matter of £1.24 but surely they should use the figures I supplied

I advise everyone receiving their 2nd bill (first advance one) to check it very carefully

I expect a reduction of £5 loyalty and £6.53 which I've already paid and have already emailed them saying so

The usage estimate might be slightly up because it's based on number of days between billing dates -not exactly one twelfth of annual??
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 25th May 19, 8:49 AM
    • 3,841 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    MABLE

But...

I like you received my second bill and includes an outstanding amount of £33.42 from my 1st bill. However they agreed to waive £30.00 because of issues and said they would collect the remaining balance only. This was duly paid by dd on the 14 May. Also they have not taken into account the promised £5.00.

We will email them and report back with update when received.

I have a really horrible feeling this is Extra Engergy nightmare 2 for me.
    Last edited by MABLE; 25-05-2019 at 9:23 AM.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 25th May 19, 9:32 AM
    • 3,722 Posts
    • 5,014 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    I have also had a bill this morning. This also states the previous bill amount is outstanding (UNPAID is the wording used on the bill) but this was collected by DD. I went to log in to the Customer Portal to find that it's down and they are working on it at the moment. Let's hope it's teething problems.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 25th May 19, 10:01 AM
    • 3,841 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    MABLE
    Just rang customer service but could only repeat what was on the bill. Also they advised any over payment would be adjusted quarterly. However Deepak account manager will call me Tuesday to hopefully clarify situation.
    Last edited by MABLE; 25-05-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    • texter
    • By texter 25th May 19, 11:16 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    texter

But...

Estimated consumption is seasonally adjusted by all suppliers.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 25th May 19, 1:23 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Tafrock
    No my overpayment will be given straight back to me. Not that I've overpaid yet anyway. They haven't taken this money yet. Im not paying twice for the same electricity be it £6.53 or £653. Seems everyone who's responded has the same problem. I can accept the bill estimation that's fair enough but to state on this bill that my previous bill was unpaid and outstanding when I paid it 10 days ago is wrong. I too will be ringing customer services first thing Thursday and will accept nothing less than a reissued bill
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

770Posts Today

6,986Users online

Martin's Twitter