Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,596Posts
    • 40,547Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 10:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Page 319
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 15th May 19, 7:34 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 9,008 Thanks
    MandM90
    Pleasures for yesterday:

- During lunchtime, as part of mental health week, my mate J - who is somewhat of a cultural icon at the company - led about 30 of us on a nature walk by the river
    - When I got in from work, I read my book for 20 mins outside in the sunny garden
    - When DH got home, he and I went for an 8km run in the lovely sunshine
    - And then we had homemade bean chilli, griddled asparagus and potatoes and guacamole. Followed by sharing a big orange and a bit of 81% dark choc. Yum. I love food.
    - Reading my book in a hot bath
    - Falling asleep naked, deliriously sleepy, with herbal smelling hair, in crisp sheets
    Last edited by MandM90; 15-05-2019 at 9:28 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th May 19, 11:10 AM
    • 6,321 Posts
    • 36,894 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Goldfish!
    Well since we sacked the soldiers after we beat Napoleon back 200 years ago, we have had soldiers sleeping rough on the streets. As I has mentioned passim, and other times, in 200 year we still has. And our elected illiterates can not be bothered about my comrade in arms suicide? Check out Soldiers off the Streets and the Beacon Alerts!

Was in the gym getting back beach ready after the BoP tour to San Francisco! Proper training! Only use as part of a proper lifestyle and not some fad crazed you can loose 5000lb overnight pay me lots diet if you use our over salted carp foods and …

Had nasta pasta, see above proper food, last night with mushrooms, toms, cucumber, has been sprouts, peppers and sardines! Tasty! Watched England cricket. It is on, bring it on! Now I hears you asking, cucumber? Yes, Cucumber at 45 pennies! Nows after the trimming, see above, on SunDae, BoPsie joins BoP inn the emporium w8rs and murmured we should really has the gherkins instead of this cucumber! Gherkins cost more and that is not money saving. AVOID.

Then did not watch the football, out-laws are villains and I may not be able to get a gloat inn edgeways! Wobblefizz was consumed!

As Shovel Master has agreed that I am correct, BoPsie has declared a Steak Night on ThirstDay! Tum shall be rubbed. See above how proper foods keep you beach ready.

So some Goldfish TV programme gets pulled and the press and the house are fooling all over their own toes about the trash, yet no one gives too hoots about? I will link to something more, butts as I am at the mill weighting for shovel master’s ink to dry, I ams going to ask you to look at LBC and their Combat Stress series. There are better stations than the regressive TV Tax funded ones! Oh and look at Soldiers off the Streets as well! Alas, combat stress, soldiers off the streets, vets breakfast club. Wells whens I attend the breakfast club, I see the well and good people. We has to look further to gather the missing. Luckily we do has a roll call, so we knows who is missing! It is for the missing we scoff snorkers!

Where was I, oh at the mill!

Nows I would not normally do this, but I thinks a little quiz about your version of the Life of BoP. I coulds put wheres has I nots bin, but what about this. BoP has seen many a skiffle group inn his years, but who has BoP not seen live?
    1. Orphan Boy
    2. Eddie and the Hot Rods
    3. Mud
    4. Lyn Paul
    5. The Nolan’s
    6. Genesis
    7. Ringo Starr’s All Starr Band

Answers on a postcard to Po Box BoP, BoPTown

Now get on with yours.

The next one who says that, will get …
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th May 19, 1:07 PM
    • 5,584 Posts
    • 81,664 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Genesis BoP - definitely not the Nolans, I reckon you've seen them

Hello all - pleasures for the last few:

1. Villa are through to the play off finals, I ain't bovvered but my menfolk are so that affects me
    2. Nice walks round London yesterday and to and from station
    3. Nice BBQ in our nice garden on Sunday. Gin was consumed
    4. Nearly done my marking
    5. yoga on Monday oooohhhhhhmmmmm
    6. work is keeping on keeping on

Have a nice afternoon everyone
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th May 19, 4:33 PM
    • 13,771 Posts
    • 187,277 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Good morning in the shop today I cleared nearly all the donations in the waiting area and did a whole bundle of ironing but then filled up the ironing basket again as I was sorting clothes!

Lovely chat with DD2 this afternoon.

Nice meal out last night with DD1 and James, low key pub meal but nice food and back home for coffee and a nice chat.

HWK has his operation tomorrow, finally, and hopefully after the first really uncomfortable couple of days he'll be a lot more comfortable with a fixed hernia, poor boy.

We have yummy things for supper tonight that only need a reheat not a proper cook, good news as I'm tired, the shop was busy!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th May 19, 4:49 PM
    • 6,321 Posts
    • 36,894 Thanks
    VJs mother. 1 correct, 1 incorrect. But which?
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 15th May 19, 7:35 PM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 40,217 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. A scorcher of a day here.

Down at allotment for 8am this morning ( neighbour (house and allotment) having texted me at 6.30am to see if I was there then...er, no! )

It was just beautiful. A mallard on the high wall. Lots and lots of birds. Did my watering and weeding. Filled one of the community beds with more compost. Then sat and read my book then another couple came ( I've only met the lady) oh are you just down relaxing? Nooo...I've done 2 hours work!

Walk home seemed to go on forever...my plantar fasciitis complains vociferously with every step. Picked up rubbish along the way. But such a beautiful walk through countryside.

Sat in garden for a bit but it got hot.

Read library book and finished it.

Chicken & couscous and veggies for tea.

Email about informal chat/interview on Friday for a job I'm very keen to get.

Doggy walks. He's been in a very cheeky playful mood today!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 15th May 19, 8:46 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 40,547 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) another lovely sunny day. mr piano walked me to work via the arboretum then took the 3 dogs back home
    2) remembered to take in the shortbread i'd bought on holiday. we also had 1 visiting academic's last day and she brought in cakes, and 2 academics starting, so quite a party feel to the day
    3) mrpiano cooked supper - chicken with lots of veg
    4) then we walked the boys up the park and met a 5 month yellow lab
    5) then home. we will be playing Leeds next season bop (my ex was Leeds so a little bit of rivalry there)
    Be like a postage stamp—stick to one thing until you get there.
    Plastic bottles picked up to recycle Oct: 31
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 15th May 19, 9:45 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 22,351 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Tuesday & Wednesday pleasures

DSis finished painting the skirting board in the cloakroom

DH put 2nd coat of gloss on both sides of cloakroom door

Sunny & warm day

Finished the planting & weeding - garden is starting to look good

Cousin phoned & invited the 3 of us to a BBQ in a couple of weeks.

First salad of the year with chicken pieces fried in butter - yummy

———————————

Another warm & sunny day so stripped bed & remade with summer bedding

Winter bedding washed & line dried

Nice walk by docks - crested grebe & coot still nesting

DH mowed front & back ‘handkerchiefs’ I mean lawns - I do love the smell of freshly mown grass

Same dinner as last night

Reading get your posts
    • Frith
    • By Frith 15th May 19, 9:55 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 49,234 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Wednesday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens well.

3) Blood Sugar Diet going OK.

4) Smaller son had English Lit GCSE and, from what he said, he put quite a lot of detail into his answers.

5) I had yet another pot of tea in Sainsburys while I waited for him!

6) Went to see my school friend for a cup of tea.

7) A quick tea and turn around then smaller son and I went to our favourite cinema to see The Keeper. We're both a bit melancholy after that.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th May 19, 10:18 PM
    • 5,584 Posts
    • 81,664 Thanks
    VJsmum

7) A quick tea and turn around then smaller son and I went to our favourite cinema to see The Keeper. We're both a bit melancholy after that.
    Originally posted by Frith
    Ooh I think we're going to see that on Saturday. Is it good?
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 15th May 19, 10:49 PM
    • 1,486 Posts
    • 16,608 Thanks
    Broomstick
    Hello again everyone. Things have got a bit tough recently and I've decided that I need, quite ferociously, to focus on holding on to the positives in my life once more so here I am again and five pleasures a day it is.

1. The allotment for two hours first thing this morning. So peaceful.

2. The blue tits there who are dashing in and out of their nesting box with food. It's manic. I need to sneak a look and see how many chicks they've hatched. I think the brood might be quite large given the activity.

3. I identified the great spotted woodpecker I saw the other day. I'd seen green ones before but never one with a red tummy! I'm starting to wonder if I should get a good bird identification book for the shed.

4. My parents said no to a morning visit today which gave me some unexpected time and I reshuffled things to allow for a nap early afternoon.

5. Cuppa and a chat with them later in the day.

Sweet dreams
    B x
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 16th May 19, 7:33 AM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 36,678 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Welcome back Broomstick, we have a pair of GS Woodpeckers visit our nut feeder, beautiful birds aren’t they.

Wednesday pleasures,

More sunshine, bedding washed and dried in a day.

Trip into Uni City for haircut, good GOT conversation with hairdresser.

A tiny skewbald foal asleep at its Mama’s feet in a field near the yard, precious.

The beautiful grey one fell asleep while I was grooming her, took ages getting all the grass & burrs out of her tail, it was like silver silk by the time I had finished.

Finally caught up with last week’s Gardeners World.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 16th May 19, 11:16 AM
    • 6,321 Posts
    • 36,894 Thanks
    And you need to take your coat.
    Well is not BoP glad he does the shovelling at the mill and misses the daytime carp on the ogle box! Herd about it on the wireless thing this morn, and it sounded like Alf Garnet telling Stan Baker off about his bus! ‘You silly moo!’

If yous is offended by the above, please note, BoP does not give professional advice!

I understand they ply people with fizz and fags, then let them … Please AVOID.

Nows as anyone knows, mes and the shovel master has agreed terms, just need to see the inked version. More later, butt because of this, tonight is Date Nite with BoPsie. Think steak!

Oh look DD has to play Leeds. Lovely. Must tell my friend inn town about this, he supports the east end club on the docks!

Now BoP is tucking into his lunch box, with all the proper foods!

Take every day while you are here, as you are not getting out at the end …
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th May 19, 3:19 PM
    • 13,771 Posts
    • 187,277 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1 to 5 today

HWK is operated on, discharged, was made very comfortable, given all the meds he needs on the ward and discharged before 3 this afternoon. Ruby terriers mum took him in this morning in the car and picked up both of us and dropped us home to the back path so he was able to walk on the level back to the house. Very impressed with the hospital service, punctual and efficient, kind and competent staff and they even gave him steamed pudding and custard for his lunch after he was back from his op. Wonderful stuff.

The tea we are drinking is the best cup of the day!!!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 16th May 19, 5:01 PM
    • 5,584 Posts
    • 81,664 Thanks
    VJsmum
    GLad HWK is back home Mrs lw. Onwards and upwards.

Still think you've seen the Nolans BoP - so, not Ringo Starr?

Pleasures for yesterday.

1. work, work, worketty work - at least a bit more of a pleasure than it has been.

2. I have been eating the same breakfast for about 3 weeks now - handful of granola, one of oats, one of rice krispies, one of nuts - topped with oat milk and a splash of cream. It's yum. (I think it is also connected with not having to make a decision about it, having so many other things to decide on)

3. DD finally hoovered the lounge after her sewing marathon

4. Went for coffee and catch up with pals

5. Cooked a beef casserole - I know, in this weather? But it used up lots of veg and DS and OH had gone to collect DS's stuff from Uni so I wasn't sure when they'd be back and a casserole will keep. It was rather nom and they got back sooner than expected having fitted all his stuff into the VW Up! (which is our only car now OH has retired), so we ate meal together. This does not happen often.

Now in ICT for the best part of a week, typing typing typing…
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 16th May 19, 6:05 PM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 40,217 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. Hope HWK continues to recover well Mrs LW

VJsmum do you still get to keep your free train transport after retirement?

Another shiny day. Left house at 7.30am to go to allotment, DD came with me so didn't do as much work as I would have if I was on my own. Watered my beds and community beds but there ain't much water left! Had breakfast there. Said hello to the ducks who were in for a wander. Picked up rubbish on way back.

And haven't really done much beyond that! Hoovered and washed floors downstairs.

Put two new photo frames up to replace one that the photos kept sliding out of.

Then started a book and I've just finished the book

A mix of in and out of sun. Fine until it gets too hot then back in again then out again then in again!

Planted sunflower seeds in my garden.

Had a late lunch/ very early tea of left over lasagne.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 16th May 19, 9:21 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 49,234 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Smaller son did his 4th GCSE. This was a short one so I just sat in the car.

3) Messages from MrX.

4) Hens OK.

5) Did lots of housework and made tea for today and tomorrow! Spanish chicken tonight and fajita mix in the fridge ready.

6) BSD going OK.

7) Phoned my school friend.

MrA, previous "what I thought was a boyfriend", had been to my car in the early hours and left my brother's dehumidifier by my driver's door. :-O Glad in one way as I thought we would never see that again. But how weird to think of him poking about by my car at dawn. He works 30 miles in the other direction! I got out to the car before 8am and it was already there.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 16th May 19, 10:07 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 22,351 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Thursday pleasures

Another day of sunshine

GS woodpecker visited the fat logs 3 times today

Home cooked Fish & chips for dinner

Saw the bat for the 1st time this year

Reading your pleasures

MrsSD
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 17th May 19, 12:17 AM
    • 1,486 Posts
    • 16,608 Thanks
    Broomstick
    Five pleasures for Thursday:

1) All the mentions of GS woodpeckers - yes they are really beautiful. I don't understand why I've never seen one before this week since they seem to be widely distributed in Britain.

2) Tricky start to day so headed off to the allotment for green therapy, did no gardening at all but sat in the early sunshine, had a cuppa and a Magnum (yes, I know ...) for breakfast (it was the last in the freezer so I decluttered it - the OS bit) and wrote down a list of everything that's difficult right now then felt much better and got on with my day.

3) Two good visits to my parents - morning and early evening - plus some really good chats filling in gaps about my dad's work history, stuff I'd never heard before especially during and just after WW2.

4) Unexpected phone call from DS2 who'd just rung for a chat which was lovely.

5) Blueberries and Greek yogurt for pudding tonight. A favourite.

Sweet dreams
    Bx
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 17th May 19, 7:29 AM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 36,678 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thursday pleasures,

After signing up several months ago our organ donor cards finally turned up.

Plans made with pals from yard to visit Burghley HT again this year, will take a picnic and watch the jumping.

Talking of horses, interesting session with princess pony who showed testing behaviour galore, have achey arms this morning but at least by the end she was listening to her Mum!

A (very) late lunch sitting outside.

Watched the latest episode of Ambulance, heart breaking stuff at times but always uplifting.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

480Posts Today

4,646Users online

Martin's Twitter