PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• Try Cancer Research shops as they have a tie in with Slimming World and often get the larger sizes.

At our shop stock comes in, is checked and put out. It will stay on our shelves for a minimum of 4 weeks and then is sent to another shop. or it could be put to one side and tried at a later date ie it is more suitable for autumn now that spring has gone.

I envy those who keep finding Denby its never in our area.
  • Yesterday a ty babies tiny parrot toy with huge eyes, an 'Upsy Daisy' doll from In the Night Garden at 20p each and a lovely knitted cowl neck poncho for DD1 and the soon to be Granddaughter for those October 'windy days' when you don't need a coat but you do need something warm. Baby in a sling will fit underneath and stay snug for £2.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Lavendar wrote: »
    Do any people have luck in larger sizes? Although I get a few bits most things are for the thinner lady.

I'm always annoyed at how many nice clothes are in charity shops in sizes 8 or 10 so I can't fit into them!:mad::p
  • yorkie_cook
    yorkie_cook Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Do any people have luck in larger sizes? Although I get a few bits most things are for the thinner lady.

As a larger lady I have the same issue, the new sue ryder shop near me which opened a few months ago seems to be getting a few larger sizes.
    A friend who volunteers in a British Heart shop told me that they rag anything in above a 22 whether this is true/ or his managers policy I dont know. I know I have never seen much plus sized when I have looked in british heart shops, having looked in their shops in lots of areas.

I tend to find hospice or small local charity shhops tend to be richer picking as they seem to try to sell as much of the donations as possible
  • Lavendar
    Lavendar Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks I am an 18 20 or 22 according to the make so will carry on searching do like the better names if possible though the names shouldn't matter only if it fits looks good and you like it.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

Three years ago I found two Boden summer dresses in my size :eek:

Since then, I've not seen anything I'd wear, the rail will have a just a few dowdy garments in man made fibres most of the time.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    I envy those who keep finding Denby its never in our area.
    To be wholly fair, *whenever* we pass a cs, we pop in. My colleagues know that I'll take an early lunch break to look at a couple of places identified using google maps, & everywhere we go - weddings, shopping, funerals - we look out to see if there are places we might visit. (I've had some odd looks at my sartorial choices but you only live once.)

My esteemed husband goes "on a bimble" & loops around about 4 towns, dropping in on every cs we know of & any that have opened since last he was in the area. I'm the jumble sale maniac - handbrake turns into amateur-ly signed corners leaving shocked menfolk wondering (& then rolling eyes as the bunting flutters & the penny drops) coming to 'retrieve' me.

Then there are car boots - and my chaps are beginning to develop strategies to avoid being taken as pack animals - one moved out, "A level revision", "homework" etc. Which is a pity as they miss out on the stallholders asking "& where are the lads?" but perhaps just as well as they also miss out on happy reminiscences of when they were much smaller.

My husband is appalled at what I can miss, as my Denbyholism does rather blinker me. In exchange he can't haggle. Just stands there & while he tries to figure if he can afford that and bus fare, the seller often drops the price to see something "go to a good home". I'm careful not to ask, but I gather "the wife likes a bit of Denby" combined with a hangdog expression, works rather well for him. If I appear (short plump & cheerful), I ruin the illusion he may have allowed people to imagine of him being henpecked etc. He is also fearsome good at details - exactly how smoothly a zip works, the wear pattern (if any) on a sole, do internal labels suggest this garment has ever been washed etc.

How did that M&S cashmere sweater with the trickily located hole go, in the end?
  • One of our volunteers took it home and did invisible mends on it drawing threads from the overlocked seams. You couldn't see where she had been. It was amazing and the jumper sold for a good price!
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Thanks I am an 18 20 or 22 according to the make so will carry on searching do like the better names if possible though the names shouldn't matter only if it fits looks good and you like it.

You sound like a similar sized lady to me. I do find quite a lot of things to fit but they certainly aren’t as plentiful or modern as the smaller sizes.

I did however find an unexpectedly bargainous find today in fact at the hospice shop. I watched a Facebook thing by Trinmy where she wore some very nice Zara trousers and a lovely white shirt. On a whim I decided I needed to emulate this style despite not being Trinnys size! I ordered the trousers from Zara and today found a brand new white fitted shirt in the CS. It was by a company called Madeleine that I had never heard off so I presumed a fairly low end company but nice quality and only £4.50. On checking the internet the company is actually very high end with the blouse currently for sale at £129.99 I also paid £4 for a very nice cath kidston scarf.

Whilst in the shop the volunteer was showing me a scarf with the original tag of £89.99 and we mused who would pay that for a scarf even if you had the money, perhaps the same person paying £129.99 for a white shirt
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2019 at 8:27PM
    He walked in with a Denby troubadour dinner plate & two cereal bowls, plus the casserole dish bit (no lid) of a brown Bourne round casserole. Basestamp puts it 1915-1930...

Plus a Jackanory book of Littlenose stories so I’ve been reading & hearing John Grant from when I was a very little girl!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure