Free wireless internet and cheap 3G broadband article discussion

Comments

• I am considering mobile broadband and have been looking at the different packages with a 'free' modem, or a shorter contract and a charge for the modem.
    Apologies if this is a daft question, but...
    I saw on one website that a sim card was slotted into the modem, so does this mean that in the future another providers sim card could be used, or are these modems locked to a provider like some phones are?

I'll get me coat.
  • point3 wrote: »
    What sort of range does a FON Hotspot have?
    FON's website is surprisingly vague about this. Understandably it will vary according to local conditions, but are we talking typical ranges of 10 metres, 500 metres, several km?? :confused:
    I believe the typical range of the fon router should be around the average 50m.

I am in the process of buying a wi-fi finder to check the strength inside and outside my house. I live in a large old house with extreamly thick walls, and still manage to get 50% signal when I'm as far away from the router indoors as I can get (probably about 20m through 3 walls)

The aerial supplied is has a gain of 2dB, but I bought a 9dB one on eBay for less than a fiver! Not tried it yet though!

I'm probably being as vague as the fon website, but it is pretty good!
  • e_g wrote: »
    I am considering mobile broadband and have been looking at the different packages with a 'free' modem, or a shorter contract and a charge for the modem.
    Apologies if this is a daft question, but...
    I saw on one website that a sim card was slotted into the modem, so does this mean that in the future another providers sim card could be used, or are these modems locked to a provider like some phones are?

I'll get me coat.

E_G Certainly there is a sim card which is slotted into the modem on my 3 Huweai - I don't know if it is "locked" to the network - I hope not as I paid £99 for mine on PAYG and like you am hoping that this means if a more cost effective deal comes along from another provider I will be able to swap sim cards.
  • E_G Certainly there is a sim card which is slotted into the modem on my 3 Huweai - I don't know if it is "locked" to the network - I hope not as I paid £99 for mine on PAYG and like you am hoping that this means if a more cost effective deal comes along from another provider I will be able to swap sim cards.

Thanks for confirming that I was thinking along the right lines... This is definately a factor that will influence the decision on which provider / package to choose. I'll do more research and post here with the results.
  • point3
    point3 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    These modems (Huawei) are locked, but can be unlocked. It costs €15 and will upgrade the firmware to enable the modem to run at 7.2Mbps too.

To do this you need to sign up to KulanKendi, buy the credits, download the software and connect your modem. KulanKendi 'reads' the modem and calculates an unlocking code - you then press 'Execute' to unlock and flash the firmware. Not had a chance to try it yet, but lots of people are reporting success on various forums.
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Three have an offer that students can get £50 off the modems on PAYG...
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    BTBroadband have now udpated those on Option 3 to UNLIMITED free minutes (subject to acceptable use...etc)

http://www.btfon.com/

it sends out a completely seperate wireless signal for fon so people are not sharing your own secure link.

You can then surf free on any FON or BT Openworld signals

Option 3 – unlimited FON (500 in Openzone Hotspots)
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • point3 wrote: »
    These modems (Huawei) are locked, but can be unlocked.

After some more searching I've found that the 3 modems are indeed locked to the network. Opinions vary on the best way to unlock, depending on which forum you visit.

I looked at whether to buy my own modem when I found a 'factsheet' on the 3 website which says:

You can buy a Mobile Broadband compatible mobile or USB Modem from a 3Store, by calling our Customer Services or via our website at three.co.uk/shop. Many third party dealers also stock them.

I read that to mean that you can use your own modem, however when I asked they said they don't do sim only deals. I haven't checked yet, but I expect to find that the other mobile broadband providers don't do sim only deals at the moment.

So... if all the mobile broadband packages come with a modem anyway, it doesn't really matter that the modems are locked, it will only be an issue if/when they start to do sim only deals.

Thanks everyone, your replies have been really helpful.
  • Interesting that the modems come locked - this seems a little unfair when you actually buy the modem on PAYG - Does anyone know the legality of this situation? I suspect they can do it as most business regulation seems to side with the companies these days. Anyway that aside as E_G says there are no sim only deals at the moment and if these can be unlocked for a few quid then no harm done. One other thing I have been onto 3 about over the last few days is thier coverage map on the web: for instance I went to postcode S80 3AE - checked the coverage map before leaving and it said I should get a good 3G signal. On arrival there was in fact no signal at all. 3 have confirmed that the website does not agree with thier "in house" coverage checker (which confirmed there is no signal at all at this post code) and have said they will look into it - thier advice? to call them to check coverage rather than look on the webiste - nothing to do with them having an 0870 number I'm sure...
  • squawkbox wrote: »
    Just just buy a £99 USB modem and whenever you want to use the web, you can top-up (£10 / £10 / £25 for 1GB / 3GB and 7GB respectively) which last for a month. It is exactly the same as the contract, however you only need to topup when you want to use it and there is no overage charges if there is no money in your account!

Are we saying that you get 1GB for £10 with the 3 option either way ?

Maybe I'm not understanding the deal properly, but wouldn't you have to 'overspend' by £99 on a contract before you lost out - perhaps the dongle isn't free on contract ? (Lets assume we don't mind being locked in for the contract duration for the moment).

Clarification would be much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure