Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Man From Bath
    • By Man From Bath 11th Nov 19, 11:19 AM
    • 34Posts
    • 42Thanks
    Man From Bath
    Need advice. Crisis.
    • 11th Nov 19, 11:19 AM
    Need advice. Crisis. 11th Nov 19 at 11:19 AM
    Hi All.
    So basically our world has been ruined as my teenage son has been diagnosed with cancer. He is very fit and healthy and as anyone would be we are devastated.

My wife is a self employed childminder and has had to stop working after 15 years to a) care for my son and b) stop the risk of any infections in the house. I am back at work even though mind is all over the shop. We've lost about 40% of our income.

He is undergoing chemo and then we pray radio therapy.

We have been granted a blue badge and I've also contacted my mortgage provider to ask to go interest only for 12 months.

Son has applied for a PIP and once this is granted wife will then apply for carers allowance. We do have some saving's but they'll be gone within 6 months.

Please don't clog this up with your best wishes, they are appreciated but i'm really after advice whether phoning Council Tax, British Gas, EE etc will get me anywhere.

Thanks
Page 2
    • Man From Bath
    • By Man From Bath 13th Nov 19, 8:55 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Man From Bath
    Thank you.
    Most people I help with PIP forms who are undergoing intensive chemo ( as in this case) get an award particularly children and young people. They have to be constantly assessed for signs of blood counts dropping/ have temperature checked regularly, often have a Picc line in which needs to be kept sterile and can become unwell with neutropenic sepsis very quickly. I always document all this stuff, not to mention the huge amount of emotional support. people on chemo get sore mouths, nausea, severe fatigue, need to be careful what foods they eat from an infection point of view and often can't stand the smell of cooking food. I've rarely known anyone in this situation not get PIP. get help with the form form a macmillan benefits adviser if you have a team at your oncology centre or clic sargent social workers can help with the form.
    Originally posted by Rubyroobs
    Ruby, Thanks for this. We have brought a ear thermometer from boots and check his temperature 3 times per day. we go into Bristol for blood test's every week before his chemo starts and he also has his dressing and Pic Line checked every week.

He is unable to wake before midday although he has been up for several hours last night with obvious emotional issues.

His nausea is managed with Anti Sickness and your right his mouth is full of ulcers. Clearly you've been through this yourself.

Thanks for you advice.
    • JadedAngel88
    • By JadedAngel88 13th Nov 19, 9:18 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    JadedAngel88
    I just wanted to let you know about click sargent. This is more for your son really. My daughter had a support worker from there, who she would spend time with during her treatment. They also help with getting grants, special treats and lots of other things.

Is there a Teenage Cancer Trust Unit/Ward at your local hospital? There wasn't one in our local hospital but myself and my daughter would travel to Leicester Royal infirmary for her chemo. As others have said about Macmillan, they are fabulous too. My daughter is in her 4th year of remission and is doing ok, her life was on hold for a while but is slowly getting into the swing of things.

I hope for the best for you, your son and family.
    Removed by Forum Team
    • Rubyroobs
    • By Rubyroobs 13th Nov 19, 10:09 AM
    • 184 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Rubyroobs
    Ruby, Thanks for this. We have brought a ear thermometer from boots and check his temperature 3 times per day. we go into Bristol for blood test's every week before his chemo starts and he also has his dressing and Pic Line checked every week.

He is unable to wake before midday although he has been up for several hours last night with obvious emotional issues.

His nausea is managed with Anti Sickness and your right his mouth is full of ulcers. Clearly you've been through this yourself.

Thanks for you advice.
    Originally posted by Man From Bath
    Just make sure you document everything on the form and get help with it from Clic sargent or macmillan. Fortunately I have not been through this myself but help people everyday to do the PIP forms and when going through this type of intensive chemo, most of my clients will get an award. The risk of neutropenia and needing to keep a close eye on your son at all times cannot be underestimated. Wishing your son a full recovery. As pp have mentioned Macmillan can help with all sorts of information and even if you just need to speak to someone on their advice line, there are people who will listen and give support.
    • Man From Bath
    • By Man From Bath 13th Nov 19, 6:52 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Man From Bath
    Thanks
    Yes my son stays on the Teenage cancer ward, to be fair so did I for the two weeks and they found us beautiful accommodation for my wife and elder son.

So job centre have more or less agreed Universal Credit and Macmillan will help with Pip.

My wife will be assessed for the New Style support on Friday and job centre seem understanding of our position.

The advice and support on here is priceless.

Thanks to you all
    • Man From Bath
    • By Man From Bath 15th Nov 19, 2:20 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Man From Bath
    Update
    So my wife and son both had interviews at the job centre today. Son has had UC approved and macmillan nurse is coming to our house Monday to complete the PIP form.

Wife has been told her ESA should be approved but they have to check her National Insurance record.

thanks again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

303Posts Today

3,461Users online

Martin's Twitter