Flu Jab Eligibility

Hello again. Just wondering if anyone has up to date info on qualifying for flu jab at no charge. I have qualified for a number of years, but no longer so apparently. I do not qualify on age grounds either.

I am an informal carer for a relative, who does not live with me. I am trying to argue that as as such I should qualify for a flu jab. If I was to catch flu, it would put me out of action for some time, as regards visiting my relative. I am not sure that the Dr will agree with me.

Thank you

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I think your problem is that you are only an informal carer for somebody non resident. I'm surprised you got it for that reason before. I don't think your doctor would consider that you qualify. You may have blagged it on the following criteria but we're lucky
    receive a carer's allowance, or you're the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill

You can not class yourself as a main carer if it is only an informal arrangement.

If you are that worried then it only costs £8-£10.
  • 43722 wrote: »
    Hello again. Just wondering if anyone has up to date info on qualifying for flu jab at no charge. I have qualified for a number of years, but no longer so apparently. I do not qualify on age grounds either.

I am an informal carer for a relative, who does not live with me. I am trying to argue that as as such I should qualify for a flu jab. If I was to catch flu, it would put me out of action for some time, as regards visiting my relative. I am not sure that the Dr will agree with me.

Thank you

Totally agree. From what you posted you never did qualify. sounds like you managed to blag it from a receptionist or doctor who didn't really understand or care about the criteria.
  • NHS Scotland guidance states you need to be an unpaid carer to qualify (not sure if you are in Scotland though?).
  • The info I can find simply states that if you're the main carer for someone whose welfare may be at risk if you were to be ill with the flu, you should have it.
    https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/health/looking-after-your-health/flu-jabs
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/who-should-have-flu-vaccine/

However, proving this - especially as your relative doesn't live with you - could be difficult. I guess it depends on your specific situation, e.g. if there is nobody else who could step in, and the nature of the care you provide.
  • Shop around - Asda have it for £7, Boots for almost twice that.
    If you’re concerned, better to buy in reassurance than try to negotiate around the NHS’s guidance.
  • It could be that your doctor no longer considers you eligible, but without reference to your relative's doctor or the wider picture. As others have said, just paying for it at this stage is probably the quickest most effective way of protecting your relative this time (without resorting to doctor's letters etc)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    43722 Posts: 225
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the replies. All good advice, looks like £7 may be well spent.
    I may try crowdfunding lol.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    43722 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. All good advice, looks like £7 may be well spent.
    I may try crowdfunding lol.
    Well, the success of immunizations does rely on herd immunity so CROWDfunding is the obvious route :)
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,311
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 29 September 2019 at 6:04PM
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Well, the success of immunizations does rely on herd immunity so CROWDfunding is the obvious route :)

Very good! :T:T:T

Incidentally that's what I'm relying on - I'm not someone who very obviously needs the vaccination, but if I got the flu I'd most likely be bedbound for a few weeks at least. However with my health condition it's about 50-50 whether I'd end up just as ill from having the jab (oversensitive drama-queen body, nothing wrong with the jab itself) but thankfully the other 3 family members in the house all qualify for a free vaccination anyway, so I for one am very thankful for herd immunity!
  • Should be able to book mine next week or two. FYI anyone lurking, it's not a live culture, so you don't actually get the flu. If you're on chemo then advice is to get the jab in the last week of your cycle - that way your immune system is best placed to 'process' the vaccine to maximise its effect. Check with your own oncologist first of course - don't just believe me...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure