PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Options

Comments

• visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll Join in too then :)

Not first time buyers,but moving to a new build as we're just too busy/lazy/fed up of patching old houses - that and it just suits us for what we want.

We reserved this month and its due to be completed by the end of July.

We've got hardly any incentive from the builder as they dropped the price of all houses on the development (they only have 9 of 34 left and 6 of those are expensive 5 beds) - we managed a 'free' upgrade to the integrated kitchen option.

We've decided to carpet one bedroom, not the stairs. We are going to floor the ground floor with tiles and amtico - the rest we will get done by a local fitter (not doing the stairs is a good tip, read up this avoids it getting dirty with all the movement round move in).

We've sold our existing house, its going through now, but that will complete in May, so we are breaking the chain and moving in with the inlaws for a few months to ensure the chain didn't collapse (my buyers buyer is an impatient first time buyer :) )

Can't wait to move in - can't believe the cost of everything up to now either - you need some serious reserves for all the unforeseen and we've really only just started!
  • luis1988
    luis1988 Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all!

I guess we'll also join this thread :).

We are first time buyers and have recently put down a deposit on a three bed new build in South Oxfordshire. We are currently applying to HTB for the 'Authority to Proceed' and will then go ahead with the full mortgage application, all a bit daunting!

Nevertheless we are both incredibly excited and also don't want to wait until the end of June for our estimated completion date!

Not many incentives were included in the end as we got just over £40k off the asking price, but we did still manage to wangle £2k off stamp duty and an integrated fridge freezer! We will be deciding on options/extras in the next couple of weeks, but it is so difficult to work out our overall budget!

Any tips or advice anyone has for 'kitting' out the house would be greatly appreciated :).

Oh and good luck to all :)!
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As we are down south and in swift commuting distance to central London (and housing prices are booming here) we paid full price and had no offers for upgrades - as all houses sold the same day they were released - except the coach house. So no help to you at all.

Sorry
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • luis1988
    luis1988 Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tygermoth, where about's are you buying out of interest? Our local(ish) train station gets us into Paddington in 45 minutes which is pretty much best we could do! But we did base it mainly around our work locations, although quite often I am in London (two main offices) so needed best of both.
  • Haylescom
    Options
    Luis we've bought about 3k worth of *extras*. I wanted the flooring done so it includes that, an upgrade to a stainless steel oven, heated towel rail, outside tap and power point, upgraded kitchen cabinets. Oh and a turfed garden.
    The cost of their integrated kitchen was extortionate and I'm not bothered if it's free-standing so I bought those bits in January sales (we have to leave ours in the old house as condition of sale).
    Our sales advisor talked me out of some things! Downlights under kitchen cabinets (by the battery ones in wilko), fitted wardrobes (cheaper to do yourself) and a fireplace (get a feel for the house first). We decided against a porch light but upon visiting they've put wiring in for one anyway.
  • hollypop
    Options
    Hello All, What a great little thread. I have to join in! We decided on a new build (even though more expensive than a second hand home) mainly becaus eof the HTB scheme, it's meant we could buy our 'forever home' in the first place rather than looking to move 5/10 years down the line.

My fianc!e and I reserved our new build Redrow property in January, we've had the mortgage & HTB offers through and last night went to the solicitor to sign the contract and pay the deposit.
    She is just waiting on some final bits coming through then hoping to exchange next week.

Our home is due to complete around end of May time! :T

The only hurdle we've come across so far is that they changed the kitchen layout without telling us till after it was ordered.. it's a bit disappointing as one of the reasons we chose that house type was because of the nice kitchen layout.. but nothing we can do about it apparently we have to have the new layout.. we've asked to see some plans so just waiting on them coming through; however it's a little late now if the plugs are in the wrong place as first fix has been done. :(

We've made it our Sunday morning trip out every week to go to the site and take some pictures! The house is coming along nicely, we now have walls, a roof, windows and even a front door! The garage roof is been put on this week.

We're hoping that this time it all goes through ok, as we were involved in a self build that all fell through so it's very nerve racking, but at the same time great to actually see something been built.:p

Trying to be patient but would like it complete now! we are getting married 4 weeks after its due to complete too ! :D
  • Haylescom
    Options
    We had a meeting with the senior partner this morning to sign the paperwork. She said she is still awaiting some documentation from the builders regarding confirmation of permission to sell.
    From our point we have done all of our paperwork and will await exchange. They are still looking for the passports but the senior partner is sure they're in the office (as am I). The other paperwork I sent with them is also not in our file so the solicitor can't find a whole batch, despite verbal confirmation that she had it. We got a very sincere apology and a large discount.

They were also under the impression we were completing next Friday! We were always working towards a mid March deadline and we won't be ready to complete on Friday. They've only just started painting the walls so don't think they'd be ready either.
    Fingers crossed for everyone!
  • chlo88
    chlo88 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome to all the others on this thread :) so we miller homes contacted us today and they've received the htb authority to proceed so we are already to exchange so think this should be done by end of next week! Hollypop love your little Sunday trips that's exactly what we do! Although were trying to limit them to once a month so we can see the difference lol! Must say from this thread and others redrow seem really good and that they get moving all the houses seem to be ready in advance! I'm counting down the days till we complete literally and passing the time with a lot of overtime to pay for all new furnishings ha!
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 February 2016 at 11:00AM
    Options
    Great! i thought i was the only one that was stalking my own house - so happy to find i am not :)

Saturday visits here. Take the dog after agility (cause he loves a long sleep in the car on a heated seat - pampered pooch) drive the 45 mins. sneak through some underbrush take photos. Then walk down the hill to the local park and normally find a fellow dog walker to chat to about the site and area.

The saturday stalking has a dual purpose as the OH has not seen the house build at all - The same as Chlo88 above, he is killing the overtime at the mo, not for extras but to settle stamp duty. We had saved that up..... but we were obliged to pay more over to the deposit. So Mr. Tygermoth is currently putting in more hours than a junior doctor. (I would too but there is no provision where I work)

As such we are in the unusual position of wanting the build to run late! we are not handing our notice in on our rental until after completion so we can have an overlap for drying out, flooring being fitted and removals. This means we have no stress if the build overuns.

Seems a little expensive? well many many years ago i was made homeless after the house i was buying, just before exchange and completion - they wanted same day - took on a higher offer. They did tell me if i matched it we could continue. However i was a FTB with no extra funds so they dropped me like a hot potato.

I had already handed in my notice the landlord refused to rescind as he already had a new tenant lined up.

So within a week I suddenly I lost all the money I had paid for my searches, surveys and fees, the house i thought i was moving into and my rental home. I have never been so stressed in my life. To stop the above we are doing a crossover.

Anyone geeky enough to want to post build progress photos? or is that going a tad to far lol
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • Kell4life
    Options
    My husband and I have recently reserved a 4 bed house in Northanmptonshire, the expected completion date is June/July. The mortgage is all sorted and we exchanged contracts earlier this week so all is going well so far. All in all it took approx 6 weeks from reserving.

We are really looking forward to it, and it's been nice to have the time to really think about kitchens, tiles and flooring, as we still aren't at a stage where we need to let them know. I've literally looked at every show home online for inspiration.

This isn't our first newbuild, we bought one from Persimmon 9 years ago but did very little research, in comparison we have read every plan and document related to the development we are moving to, and are very happy with our choice. We plan to live in our new house for at least 10 years so have had to research the schools and local facilities for when our children are older.

Exciting times ahead!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport