Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Comments

• Premier wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying the facts. On that basis I would suggest you waste no more time attempting to recover these historic bank charges as the likelihood of success now is about zero.

If you were in genuine financial hardship 3 years ago, then you should have complained then and perhaps the bank may have given you a refund
    (Actually they probably would have as they were often paying out back then before the Supreme Court ruling)

I've re-read the bank charges page on the main site very carefully and I believe I still have a case. I fail to see why you'd think otherwise.
  • I'm sure I read somewhere a few months ago that a legal firm was putting together a new case to challenge the supreme court decision or put forward another relevant piece of legislation in August this year.

Anyone know if anything came of that?

J
  • Hello,

I was wondering if anyone was able to help me with my query below.

Thank you very much!

angie7 wrote: »
    Hello,

It was 2008 when i last signed onto this forum to get advised on claiming bank charge fees on behlaf of my mother. I have read through the website and forums and have a good understanding of the new process since this all went through the courts, however i have an outstanding question I was hoping someone can help me with.

I contact LTSB end 2007 / early 2008 for the previous 6 years of bank charges so that I could claim for my mom (totalling £3600 across 2 -3 bank accounts). Within the letter requesting the bank charge charge i explained my moms financial hardship... A response letter was received which said "If your complaint is about the level, fairness or lawfulness of overdraft bank charges, then a different process that we've agrred with the FInancial Services Authority will apply. we will write to you shortly to explain how we'll handle that complaint and what steps we will take to protect you rights...."

At the time (28th July 2008), my mom didnt realise this was a deterient to stop her from progressing with the claim. A letter finally was received 7th July 2010 stating that following the court hearing they will not be refunding charges.

My mom and I then gave up, however after reading the MSE site I've realised I can reclaim....which is where the question comes in...

Do I continue with the same claim from 2007 / 2008, and go with the 6 years of bank charges I already have tried to claim- or do i reapply (having to pay the £10 fee to get the latest set of bank charges) for the past 6 years?

My mom is still in financial hardship and still incuring charges

Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you feel your mum meets the criteria for financial hardship you can try reclaiming under that. Be aware though that any refund is purely at the bank's discretion and people are reporting a maximum of 6 month's charges back so very much doubt you will get anywhere near the 6 years plus you're talking about.
  • Hi i was wondering if someone could help me. i have banked with barclays for many years and i have incurred a total of around £1800. since the case went to court they have lowerd their charge amounts from £35 and £30 to £8. Is it worth me trying to claim some money back as alot of my charges were re-occuring from charges being taken when i had no money and was out of work but had i just been charged the £8 back them i would have broken the cycle alot sooner and it would never have got no where near as bad as it did. Technically if it happend to me again now, i would only be charged £8 so should i make a complaint or is it not worth it?

Any help would be most appriciated.
    Thanks.x

hi, i am in the same boat as you, i am with barclays too any although they charge me £8 too, i am paying around £30 every moth in charges. what did you do about it
  • momo3
    momo3 Posts: 107 Forumite
    Hi can anyone help please please.
    I have had a letter from Santander saying that I was £70.00 over my over draft limit, which has occurred through charges. I had a letter today stating that I was £670.00 over the overdraft which is £500.00 two days ago I sent £100.00 to them which would have put me £30.00 within my agreed overdraft. I phoned them today stating that I had sent this amount by bank transfer which according to our previous letter would have meant we were within our overdraft limit. They stated that that money had not yet cleared but because we phoned them they would wipe out the additional charges that were due to occur on 20th October of an additional £150.00 which would put our overdraft to £820.00, we were sent letters but unfortunately away so when we got back sent the £100.00, they agreed to stop the additional £150.00 meaning we would have to pay the £100.00 we had already sent plus an extra £70.00. I tried to negotiate some or part of these charges being wiped ie. £170.00 by assuring them that both mine and my husband's wages would be paid into the bank by 15th November and from then on there would not be a problem. I asked if we paid the additional £70.00 we owed today and our wages were paid in on 15th November would they refund all or some of the £170.00 charges we had incurred. I was told that was not possible and to phone customer services for further advice. I asked if they could help me further and was assured they could. Following a busy home life children etc. I called customer services some hours later at 11.30pm and was told all they could do was log a complaint and I would have to get back to they original office I called earlier to make arrangements but that in the meantime I would have incurred a further £5.00 charge. I was told that the 1st office I called would close at 9pm but after phoning customer services was told they shut at 7pm. Does anyone know what they are doing and how can I stop these charges, make an agreement with the bank have my wages paid into there without incurring ridiculous bank charges. Please help me!!!!!!!! I was also told by customer services that if I felt that the charges were excessive I could go to FOS. I do not particularly want to go down that route but would like to work with my bank any advice???
  • Hi guys,
    I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this.......i wrote to natwest 2 weeks ago asking for all my charges etc, advised they had 2 weeks to respond. yesterday when the 2 weeks was up i had a letter arrive saying 'thank you for your letter - to protect me from fraud please could i go into my local branch and take id' I assume that was because it was a closed account, but i was wondering if anyone had had that happen to them or know of it happening to anyone, i just thought it was odd thats all?
    thanks very much :)
  • Hi I am new to this and don't even know if I will get an answer to this Question, But here it goes. Can anyone tell me if you have to pay overdraft charges if you are on benefits. I get £67.50 per week on JSA, I have an overdraft with Halifax of £4500 and charges of £60 to £62 per month which I can't afford. Can anyone tell me if I have to pay while I am unemployed. Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
  • pigsmightfly
    pigsmightfly Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Hi,

Can anyone help - I have bank charges to reclaim on a loan which was originally with cahoot but got passed to Santander - who do I claim from?

Thanks x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure