Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • XaviUK
    • By XaviUK 13th Nov 19, 7:50 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    XaviUK
    Need information urgent depression benefits
    • 13th Nov 19, 7:50 AM
    Need information urgent depression benefits 13th Nov 19 at 7:50 AM
    Thanks to everyone in advance for your help.

Hi,

I am 35yo and I have been working non stop and without anyinterruption since university finished. Last four years progressivily I started to be really stressed at work and feeling depressed even crying in at work in the toilet every single day. Also, I have been sleeping more than 2 hours per day the last years so I have a major sleep disorder. Also I had a really hard attacks during the night and I had to do heart check as I didnt know exactly whatīs happening to me.

Finally, three months ago I finished working in my company offering me really good conditions and salary I didnt get the incapacity because I didnt want to assume I am bad mentaly.

As I am alone in UK, I had to get the jobseeker allowance, now Universal Credit, but they are pressing me to get a full time job when I can even to be standing up. I need help.

I decided to go to the doctor next week to valuate if I can get any depression incapacity as it is my first time applying for benefits. In case if is yes,
    how depression benefits works
    How often I have to sign in per week

The last thing I need right now is everyweek a work coach pressing me to get a job when my problem is coming from another side.

Thanks for reading and helping.

Much appreciate it.
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Nov 19, 7:57 AM
    • 7,288 Posts
    • 7,887 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 13th Nov 19, 7:57 AM
    • 13th Nov 19, 7:57 AM
    You need to see your doctor and potentially get a medical certificate from them to say you are not fit to work. With your work history you may be able to claim New Style ESA, although I'm not sure if you can claim that now you are on UC (others will be along to advise). Irrespective of if you are on UC or ESA, there will be no requirement to sign on as long as you have a valid medical certificate (Fit Note) from your doctor.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 13th Nov 19, 8:23 AM
    • 4,030 Posts
    • 2,734 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 13th Nov 19, 8:23 AM
    • 13th Nov 19, 8:23 AM
    With your work history you may be able to claim New Style ESA, although I'm not sure if you can claim that now you are on UC (others will be along to advise).
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Can claim new style ESA alongside UC but it is taken into account in full as unearned income. You do get Class 1 NI credits instead of Class 3 but there is no financial gain (unless the UC has already been reduced by other income to an amount that is less than the ESA amount).

OP, Geta Fit Note from your GP. Inform UC that you have a health problem that makes it difficult for you to work (you can do this in your journal) and take the Fit Note to your Job Centre, You should then be referred for a Work Capability Assessment. If you are found to have Limited capability for Work and Work Related Activity you will get an extra Ģ336.20/month in the fourth month after you first report your health condition.

Your work coach can turn off your work search requirement while the WCA process is undertaken.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Nov 19, 8:29 AM
    • 20,183 Posts
    • 51,428 Thanks
    elsien
    • 13th Nov 19, 8:29 AM
    • 13th Nov 19, 8:29 AM
    Have you been seeing anyone about the sleep disorder - it would be beneficial to get medical evidence for that as well. The issues at night could be panic attacks and tied in with anxiety. If you are feeling so unwell and have been doing so for some time, you really need to see the doctor for your own well-being, not just to get support with claiming benefits.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • XaviUK
    • By XaviUK 13th Nov 19, 8:50 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    XaviUK
    • 13th Nov 19, 8:50 AM
    • 13th Nov 19, 8:50 AM
    oh guys, thanks so much for your quick reply.

My reason for not going to see the doctor for this is because I didnt want to assume I am depressed. But itīs time to do it, I know.

But financially at the moment I cant get any gap of income so I am a bit scared UC will be closed meanwhile the incapacity one is on course.

As I understood, I must give to my work coach the medical certificate?
    • Rubyroobs
    • By Rubyroobs 13th Nov 19, 10:29 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Rubyroobs
    • 13th Nov 19, 10:29 AM
    • 13th Nov 19, 10:29 AM
    oh guys, thanks so much for your quick reply.

My reason for not going to see the doctor for this is because I didnt want to assume I am depressed. But itīs time to do it, I know.

But financially at the moment I cant get any gap of income so I am a bit scared UC will be closed meanwhile the incapacity one is on course.

As I understood, I must give to my work coach the medical certificate?
    Originally posted by XaviUK
    You will continue to get the UC that you already receive. You hand in sick notes and if it is a long term condition then after a while they will send you a work capability form to complete. It's important that you complete this with as much detail as possible with supporting medical evidence. After assessment you may get extra money on your Uc but will depend whether you are awarded Limited capability for work (LCW) or limited capability for work and work related activity ( LCWRA ).
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 13th Nov 19, 11:39 AM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    sportsarb
    • 13th Nov 19, 11:39 AM
    • 13th Nov 19, 11:39 AM
    **Does not constitute medical advice**

For my sleep issues I found mirtazipine to be effective as well as helping my mood a little. That said, it might almost go too far as it can sometimes be well after 9am when I awake, having been someone that slept very little and was up 05:30 most mornings even when on annual leave.

Could be argued I get up later now because I have no reason to be awake any earlier, of course.

A lot of what you say chimes with me including the reluctance to see a GP, not seeing a GP and getting help almost went fatally wrong for me, so talk to someone as soon as possible.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Nov 19, 1:29 PM
    • 7,288 Posts
    • 7,887 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 13th Nov 19, 1:29 PM
    • 13th Nov 19, 1:29 PM
    So many people with depression / anxiety or similar don't go their GP because "they don't want to bother them when there are really ill people around". They also feel embarrassed at not being able to deal with it themselves. Unable to "snap out of it" as is often the 'advice' from people around them.

Depression / anxiety are just as much illnesses as any physical problem.

Get to your GP.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 13th Nov 19, 7:59 PM
    • 3,458 Posts
    • 4,024 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 13th Nov 19, 7:59 PM
    • 13th Nov 19, 7:59 PM
    Look at PIP as well:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/

https://www.rethink.org/advice-and-information/rights-restrictions/money-benefits-and-employment/personal-independence-payment-pip/

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test

Info on the UC fitness for work test (the WCA):
    http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/med2/indexxx.php
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • venison
    • By venison 13th Nov 19, 8:14 PM
    • 3,967 Posts
    • 5,670 Thanks
    venison
    I won't pretend to give medical advice as such as i'm not a doctor, but please OP go and see your GP, it could be that a mixture of medication and counselling is what is required.
    For the many NOT the few
    • junglefever1901
    • By junglefever1901 16th Nov 19, 3:38 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    junglefever1901
    Hi OP, just want to say hope you get the help you need it is tough as I suffer myself .
    • 11krage
    • By 11krage 21st Nov 19, 8:36 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    11krage
    Make sure you've reported your health condition on your account, and inform your work coach about your difficulties.

If you believe you're completely incapable of working, then supply fit notes saying so. However you could also ask for fit notes asking reduced hours. This can reduce the time you search for work while you engage in help through your GP and through resources from the job centre.

Some work coaches will even without a fit note reduce your hours if you're having a difficult time, or place more emphasis on helping you find a type of work that may be less taxing on you. Some can link you up with work experience opportunities so you can taste other jobs.

If they know you're having issues they will often modify your commitments to include things your doctor has recommended to help you recover and feel more positive. Exercise, eating better, practicing cbt.

And there's nothing to stop you starting work part time to see how that suits you. I even came across a work coach who encouraged their claimant to build their confidence by volunteering as a lunch monitor at a school. Just an hour a day, but it did help them feel more positive and think more positively about jobs they could do instead of only focusing on what they couldn't.

You do get the occasional work coach who just wants to tick their boxes and get you out of the way, but there's a huge emphasis now on helping claimants with issues like yours by thinking outside the box and slowing things down. You'll likely to find it will open up a lot of support for you.

As others have said, reach out to your doctor. Try counseling (you can even get started early by going to the internet for guides on cbt yourself. I find them useful.) Meds may also be a way forward. I started on some after years of not wanting to go into pharmaceuticals. And while it hasn't helped in most ways, I do feel a lot steadier most of the time. The path from average to bawling my eyes out is a predictable slow walk (most of the time) instead of that annoying unexpected jump.

Talk to your work coach about what parts of your past work didn't help your condition. The type of work? The hours? Are you worried about interviews or writing a CV or just don't know if you'd be able to cope chasing around small children or working with computers. Be honest. Tell them you want to try the best you can do, but there are limitations you need to work on. Or even that you don't think you can cope with any of it right now and need things to back off or slow down while you work with your GP / others docs to get you ready to take some kind of step toward some kind of and some length of employment.
    Amount left to pay on house = 64,710.

Savings buffer = 1,028.75 of 2415.

Next large expense = 159 of 483.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,271Posts Today

7,979Users online

Martin's Twitter