Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • turtlelife27
    • By turtlelife27 10th Nov 19, 11:57 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Contributions based JSA
    • #1
    • 10th Nov 19, 11:57 PM
    Contributions based JSA 10th Nov 19 at 11:57 PM
    Hi all,
    I'm due to go for an appointment at the job centre tomorrow after applying online but I'm unsure if I qualify for contributions based jsa. I was employed from July 18 to Aug 19 when my contract ended. Prior to that I was a student. I checked my p60 and I've made at least 50 times the LEL according to the total. Problem is it's not two tax years. Would that be sufficient?
Page 1
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 11th Nov 19, 2:03 AM
    • 25,572 Posts
    • 13,768 Thanks
    • #2
    • 11th Nov 19, 2:03 AM
    • #2
    • 11th Nov 19, 2:03 AM
    Jul 18 - aug 19 is 2 tax years.
    The first is jul 18 - 5/4/19.
    The second is 6/4/19 - August 19.

    I have to say it’s not clear to me as even the gov site says 2-3 years (not tax years).
    Last edited by lisyloo; 11-11-2019 at 2:06 AM.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Nov 19, 6:41 AM
    • 4,153 Posts
    • 2,812 Thanks
    • #3
    • 11th Nov 19, 6:41 AM
    • #3
    • 11th Nov 19, 6:41 AM
    Tax years run from 6th April to 5th April. A benefit year runs from the first Sunday of the calendar year. For a contribution based benefit the NI contributions looked at are the last two complete tax years before the start of the current benefit year.

    The two tax years that are relevant for a claim made now are the tax years April 2016 - April 2017 and April 2017 to April 2018. You need to have Class 1 contributions or credits equivalent to 50 weeks in both of these years and have actually paid, or be treated as having paid, Class 1 contributions at least equivalent to 26 weeks in one of these years.

    OP, you will not qualify for new style JSA based on what you have said. Depending on your circumstances you may be able to claim Universal Credit.

    You can check your NI record by contacting HMRC
    Last edited by calcotti; 11-11-2019 at 5:20 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,450Users online

Martin's Twitter