Grants available for homes improvements & energy efficiency

Comments

• ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I am just wondering if any help is available if I am not elderly, disabled, low income or on benefits. Or can I simply sit and watch my tax pay for other peoples' new boilers and insulation?

Isn’t that why you pay tax, to help run the country and support those that can’t afford it?

If you can’t get any support it’s likely because you can afford the things yourself.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I am just wondering if any help is available if I am not elderly, disabled, low income or on benefits. Or can I simply sit and watch my tax pay for other peoples' new boilers and insulation?
    You got that partially right. It was actually your energy bills that subsidised the loft insulation added to my refurbished property in 2016. I'm not poor either, but the work did at least support two guys from the economically depressed Welsh Valleys, who burned much diesel to get here and carry it out!

I can't say whether that particular scheme is still in existence. I got the feeling I was on the tail end of it, but it was monitored extremely well to prevent fraud.

If you want to know whether you can claim anything, the answers will be in the relevant section of MSE linked to this thread, which is where I went. They will be updated as appropriate, because this site prides itself on accuracy.
  • I am just wondering if any help is available if I am not elderly, disabled, low income or on benefits. Or can I simply sit and watch my tax pay for other peoples' new boilers and insulation?

How dare the weakest and most vulnerable in our society get any assistance with the cost of living and making their homes more liveable, right?

If it makes you feel any better, you have to be a pretty damn high earner for a long time not to be a net recipient of benefits over your lifetime, once you take into account all the things you use but don't really notice other taxpayers have paid for.

Get the chip off your shoulder, pay for your housing upgrades, and try to be happy to live a country that (despite the best efforts of the conservative party), doesn't leave the old/disabled/poor people to shiver in freezing houses because they weren't as lucky as you in the lottery that is life.
  • PurAsc
    PurAsc Posts: 50 Forumite
    On a local level, I've heard that North Somerset are offering private landlords grants of up to £5,000 to improve their properties; to help them comply with the EPC legislation due to come in from April 2020 that affects all tenancies below an E band. Hope that helps someone!
  • juraj.kecso
    juraj.kecso Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The fact that I don't qualify for benefits does not automatically make me a millionaire. Once you take away normal living costs, mortgage, bills etc. me and my partner can just about get by. I don't go out on Friday nights or eat at a restaurant every evening.

I have nothing against helping out those less fortunate, but it would be nice if could also qualify for some help as well.

A property I own has an old boiler, probably 10 years old. Replacing would cost approx £3k, all of which is out of my own pocket. It would be great if my tax could also go towards supporting myself, not just everyone else.
  • 10 years old is nothing! Mine was 30 years old before I replaced it.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A property I own has an old boiler, probably 10 years old.
    Interesting you use the indefinite article rather than the definite article at the start of that sentence.

How many properties do you own?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    The fact that I don't qualify for benefits does not automatically make me a millionaire. Once you take away normal living costs, mortgage, bills etc. me and my partner can just about get by. I don't go out on Friday nights or eat at a restaurant every evening.

I have nothing against helping out those less fortunate, but it would be nice if could also qualify for some help as well.

A property I own has an old boiler, probably 10 years old. Replacing would cost approx £3k, all of which is out of my own pocket. It would be great if my tax could also go towards supporting myself, not just everyone else.

Must be nice to own your own home and be able to afford things like restaurants even if it is just a bit. What an utterly disgusting attitude
  • Hello. Thank you Wendy for your advice. My mothers boiler has gone & as of last night I contacted EON on her behalf about this EOC Grant which you speak of. On further investigation I found her electrical wiring to be extremely out of date (circa 1950's) & I can't seem to find a grant to help her with this ANYWHERE. I've been searching for 4 hours now, do you have any suggestions? My mother is 72yrs has only JUST paid off her mortgage & receives only a pension. I don't have enough money to lend myself & not sure what to do. I have arranged for The London Fire Brigade to visit to give her a safety check but they'll most likely advise full re-wiring too at £2k onwards she just doesn't have the funds but I want to keep her safe. Thank you.
  • Hi I can sympathise with your problem but the best way to deal with these problems is to contact the planning department od your council and ask in fact demand that an inspector comes out and see the shoddy work and then it will be put right. It may also mean that the company doing the work will be taken off of the councils work list as unsuitable unless there is money changeing hands (lets not be naive here) the council rules as to the quality of work should be high.
    I hope this helps
    Good luck
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport