TV Licence article Discussion

Comments

• phoenix_w
    phoenix_w Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    But I object to the concept that someone exercising their legitimate right to privacy in their own home is a "crank". It is that kind of lacklustre thinking that has got the BBC into this mess in the first place.

How is getting a letter or having a canvasser come to your house invading your right to privacy? Most people in this land have to deal with unwanted callers (salesmen, charity muggers etc.) and deal with them quite efficiently by saying "No" and closing the door - no letter writing required.

Someone who goes to a large amount of effort to prevent a visit from TVL, which is something extremely unlikely to happen, would arouse suspicion and be added to a list. I have a relative who kept getting 'reminders' for a long number of years and despite the continued threats of a visit never had a single one - I strongly suspect that those who get a visit are visited because they've got in touch with TVL and aroused suspicion.

The Beeb say you can exercise "WOIRA" verbally on the doorstep if you wish, this probably gets invoked even if you just use the words "sod off". So why bother provoke them in the first place? If you really fear contact with the outside world then add "No TV licensing canvassers" on your "No salesman, no religious callers" etc. sign next to your front door.
  • cw18

Thank You very much !
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 May 2015 at 2:11PM
    phoenix_w wrote: »
    How is getting a letter or having a canvasser come to your house invading your right to privacy?
    The rights in Article 8 are drawn quite broadly. Importantly, they apply to the State and State Agencies only. So salesmen are fine, but TVL are covered.
    • Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.
    • There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law...
    And there's a good reason for that, which is because TVL aren't coming for tea. There have been hundreds (probably thousands) of false allegations made by TVL operatives, and they are sometimes hard to get resolved.
    Someone who goes to a large amount of effort to prevent a visit from TVL, which is something extremely unlikely to happen, would arouse suspicion and be added to a list.
    Very possibly, which is why I wrote my question the way I did: can I refuse TVL access without prejudice. In other words, if I truly have the right then it must be a right I can use without suffering negative consequences.
    If you really fear contact with the outside world...
    It isn't that. Fear of being set-up or harassed or harangued in your own home is not fear of the outside World.

There are those who do have a fear of the outside World, which is also their prerogative.
    ... then add "No TV licensing canvassers" on your "No salesman, no religious callers" etc. sign next to your front door.
    Same as WOIRA.
  • enfield_freddy
    enfield_freddy Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    visit from one the other day , told him (self employed by the way?) that I did not watch live TV , he ticked his box on the machine , and asked for my name

"T Occupier" I said , he remarked that I had a large family local to the area , and smiled
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How is getting a letter or having a canvasser come to your house invading your right to privacy?

It's hassle, if you tell them you don't have a need for a TV and that they won't get in without a warrant, yet they still knock on your door, that's clear harassment.

It's that simple.

I don't have DVLA knocking on the door to ask if I have a car, why is the TV licence so different.

At least the Tories say they are going to decriminalise this.
  • phoenix_w
    sniggings wrote: »
    It's hassle, if you tell them you don't have a need for a TV and that they won't get in without a warrant, yet they still knock on your door, that's clear harassment.

It's that simple.

I can see what you and cornucopia are saying, I just think your reactions are OTT and almost unbelievable for rational people. Where I live I get salesmen, jehovah's witnesses and charity muggers all the time. I just open the door, tell them to go away politely and get on with my life. If I didn't watch telly, I'd do the same to someone working for TVL. "Harassment" would be if they knocked on every week, started trying to steal my cat or started posting dog poo through my letter box.

I don't actually believe people get "harassed" by TVL unless they start playing with them.

If you're legit there's nothing to fear - tell them to bog off and should they decide to get a warrant or whatever just laugh it off - they probably spent more of their income trying to nab an innocent than they'd get off you if you actually paid 2+ years of the fee. Claiming that getting someone turn up at your door who you're absolutely free to turn away or a few pro-forma letters landing on your mat is "harassment" is just bull.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 15 May 2015 at 4:18PM
    I can see what you and cornucopia are saying, I just think your reactions are OTT and almost unbelievable for rational people.
    There is a principle involved, here. You may not agree that a householder ought to be able to exercise control over his own home within the Law, but that's how I feel about it. What's more, I'm pretty confident that that's what the Law says.
    Where I live I get salesmen, jehovah's witnesses and charity muggers all the time. I just open the door, tell them to go away politely and get on with my life.
    It's really not about the hassle. It's the threat of being set-up when you are completely innocent.

In several years of being legally licence free, I've yet to actually meet a TVL operative face-to-face. But the threat is still there, and the letters keep coming, too. Some of them are grossly offensive and have no place in the routine communication between a public authority and the public.
    I don't actually believe people get "harassed" by TVL unless they start playing with them.
    That may be true, but again, you either have the right to play with them or you don't. Clue: generally, you do.
    If you're legit there's nothing to fear - tell them to bog off and should they decide to get a warrant or whatever just laugh it off - they probably spent more of their income trying to nab an innocent than they'd get off you if you actually paid 2+ years of the fee. Claiming that getting someone turn up at your door who you're absolutely free to turn away or a few pro-forma letters landing on your mat is "harassment" is just bull.
    That's true enough. However, TVL simply mislead and lie to people. If you are not clued-up, it is way too easy to get taken in by it. I don't want that for my country, and I'm prepared to put in some effort to (a) help people who may find themselves at the wrong end of it all, and (b) try to get it "fixed".

Let me put the question again, this time directly to you: do I (should I) have the right to refuse access to TVL without prejudice.

The bottom line for me is that they are bullies, and someone needs to stand up to them. If we don't stand up to organisations that abuse or exceed their authority, then we only have ourselves to blame when they and their fellow bureaucrats take more and more liberties.

I want our public services including the BBC to be better, to have a better attitude towards serving the public and relating to us. The BBC's present approach is verging on kafkaesque and I'm not going to put up with it.
  • phoenix_w
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Let me put the question again, this time directly to you: do I (should I) have the right to refuse access to TVL without prejudice.

Of course, but let me pose a question to you.. Why are you not writing to all other possible annoying callers to refuse them access to your property? You've said you have never had a caller from TVL (I don't know anyone who has either, even when the rumours circulated at uni years ago that they would visit everyone in new lodgings!), so why waste the energy revoking access to someone who will most probably never call, and if they did you could tell them to get stuffed?

We'll never see eye to eye on this. It's interesting to know the lengths that people go to on this issue, and while I can see why you're saying what you're saying I can't help but feel that you're batting against something that isn't really worth the effort. It seems to me that making people aware of their rights (yes you can own a TV/computer/tablet as long as you don't watch live telly, don't let TVL fool you, don't update their database for them with your details) would have a better outcome for most people than than writing pointless letters which will just flag you up for future visits.
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I can see what you and cornucopia are saying, I just think your reactions are OTT and almost unbelievable for rational people. Where I live I get salesmen, jehovah's witnesses and charity muggers all the time. I just open the door, tell them to go away politely and get on with my life. If I didn't watch telly, I'd do the same to someone working for TVL. "Harassment" would be if they knocked on every week, started trying to steal my cat or started posting dog poo through my letter box.

Not sure what I do that has you thinking I'm OTT...I just don't answer the door to them, the harassment for me comes in when you have told someone you don't need their service yet they insist on calling and want acess to your home.

If I took a fancy to you, you turned me down, yet I kept knocking at your door and sending you letters, would you think it was so easy to dismiss that? All you have to do is put the letters in the bin and not answer the door.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 15 May 2015 at 4:38PM
    Of course, but let me pose a question to you.. Why are you not writing to all other possible annoying callers to refuse them access to your property?
    Because none of them are coming to question me about something that could lead to me being prosecuted?

Because none of them, even if they were coming to question me would use a process that is not PACE-compliant, unlike TVL.

Because none of them have falsely prosecuted hundreds of other people in my situation, like TVL has.

Because none of them make threats of Search Warrants just because you tell them to go away, when you are legally entitled to do that.
    You've said you have never had a caller from TVL (I don't know anyone who has either, even when the rumours circulated at uni years ago that they would visit everyone in new lodgings!), so why waste the energy revoking access to someone who will most probably never call, and if they did you could tell them to get stuffed?
    I haven't. At the moment, I'm taking my own advice from another forum and ignoring them. But I'm knowledgeable enough about the issues to know that what suits me may not suit everyone.
    We'll never see eye to eye on this. It's interesting to know the lengths that people go to on this issue, and while I can see why you're saying what you're saying I can't help but feel that you're batting against something that isn't really worth the effort. It seems to me that making people aware of their rights (yes you can own a TV/computer/tablet as long as you don't watch live telly, don't let TVL fool you, don't update their database for them with your details) would have a better outcome for most people than than writing pointless letters which will just flag you up for future visits.
    Why not do both?

From a debating position/understanding the issues position, I find your posts a little weak - perhaps it's because you aren't aware of all the misdeeds and malpractices of TVL? Hopefully, if you were, you'd maybe take a more nuanced view?

FWIW, I helped prepare an official response to the Perry Review into Licence Fee Enforcement, which is here: http://licencefree.co.uk/Response%20to%20the%20Perry%20Review%20of%20Licence%20Fee%20Enforcement%20Final.pdf

Apologies - it is a long document, but such are the wide-ranging issues regarding TVL, and we didn't want to leave anything out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback