Natwest - decent saving products in the past?

Options
I guess a load of us who have now received the £125 current account switch bonus (and never been involved with Natwest before) are wondering if they periodically offer decent savings products to its existing customers in the past?

They offer the 1.5% Savings Builder - is that as good as it's got in the recent past?

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I remember I had an ISA with them paying 7.xx% around 10 years ago. Just before the bail-out! Nothing since I believe.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    NatWest are one of the few banks I've never been a customer of and nothing they have ever offered has tempted me. A contender for a sacrificial account for a switching bonus if ever there was one
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can see no reason to stay with them now the bonus is paid.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ive had some sort of relationship with them in most years since 2009. Nothing has ever really stood out. I left a tad underwhelmed when my 0% overdraft finished so I could no longer stooze it (student account), went back for the reward account on bills when it worked better than Santander 123. Savings accounts have always been mid-low range in that time, much like I would say Barclays or Halifax in terms of not much for savers (Halifax kids saver at 6% excepted when it was around).

Will be a donor account next - I cant remember anything like a regular saver or linked account that needed a current account to qualify.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »

That was open to new customers, so in the OP's position it doesn't add any weight t the idea of keeping the current account.

I can see little point sticking with NatWest, other than having an account ready to switch when the next offer comes along.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    That was open to new customers, so in the OP's position it doesn't add any weight t the idea of keeping the current account.

I can see little point sticking with NatWest, other than having an account ready to switch when the next offer comes along.
    The OP is not asking about anything that may add weight to keeping their NatWest account. They are asking about NatWest offering good savings products in the past.

You may have inferred this and it may be true but I have answered the OPs question to the letter.

I do however agree with you that there is little point in sticking with NatWest if you are looking for additional benefits. But they may decide to offer a 5% regular saver for current account holders. The £125 switching offer was totally out of character so who knows what they will do next.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    But they may decide to offer a 5% regular saver for current account holders. The £125 switching offer was totally out of character so who knows what they will do next.

Then they should have announced it or made it available before we all started switching away. It was a folly to give us £125 and then no reason to stay. My application to First Direct just got accepted.

Alex.
  • RG2015
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    Then they should have announced it or made it available before we all started switching away. It was a folly to give us £125 and then no reason to stay. My application to First Direct just got accepted.

Alex.
    Ah, but NatWest are so totally up themselves and think they are such a wonderful bank with outstanding current accounts that they could not imagine that anybody would dream of leaving them a day after getting their money.
  • RG2015
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    And people who have just switched to them are so much less likely to know about switching.
    The vast majority of NatWest switchers on MSE are saying that they will leave NatWest once they have their £125.

I would imagine that a high proportion of non-MSE NatWest switchers will stay with NatWest.

NatWest want to increase their customer base and this will have worked. Only time will tell if they retain enough customers to make the whole exercise profitable for them. It is also true that we will never know the full benefit (or cost) to NatWest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure