Boots Pharmacy

Options
I don't know where else to put this. My girlfriend gets her perscription at boots pharmacy and pays for it. The perscription is 75mg of said drug perscribed by her neurologist. It's capsules but the hospital didn't have them at the time and it was eventually claimed they don't have capsules in that size so they had to do 50mg of the capsules and 25mg of tablets. Because of this they come in two boxes.

Most of the time she picks them up at boots and they say "That's one charge". The thinking behind this is its one perscription of one tablet. Not her fault they don't do them in 75mg. That's fine. The first time I picked them up the pharmacist said "That's one charge". Next time I pick them up I get told the same. Then late get a call from Boots "Can you please come in, we're under charged you, it should be two charges". I'd had enough of this. They've been doing this for months. Most of the time she'll get told "It's one charge", then randomly you'll picked them up one month and be told "That's two charges".

I've now been in Boots and questioned this. Asked them can they put on record it's one charge. They checked with the pharmacist who I remember saying to me with confidence "Its one charge". This time he said "No it's two charges. We've been making a mistake and it should always be two charges. The reason is because one is a capsule and one is in pill form. If you want it as one charge you need to ask the doctor to perscribe both in tablet form or both in capsule form". I explained that can't be right because even the hospital have been saying "Its one charge". They said "The NHS has been losing out then, it should be two charges". Their logic makes no sense because there have been times when Boots had no capsules so they did it in tablet form yet still said "two charges". Which contridicts what they said earlier.

So I assume the only way to get this resolved is either go to a different pharmacist and get it 100% confirmed before ordering or consultant the neurologist or doctor?

And pharmists, neurologist or doctors about who could add a suggestion?

Comments

• hammyham
    hammyham Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Joey - I might be wrong here, so this is just a suggestion. Could she be prescribed the full does purely in tablet form? That way only having one charge to pay.
    No buying toiletries 2015 - 1 in
    52 week challenge
    £2015 in 2015
  • burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi , boots are rights , the prescription has 2 charges because it's in 2 different forms ... The only way for one charge is if both items are the same drug and the same form ( all tablets or all caps ) .
    Sorry , mistakes happen if we're busy ,( I work for an independent) .. The only other way to save money is if your getting more than 2 items per month a prepayment card , look on the nhs website .
    Hope that helps
    £223/ £250 GC
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's two different types of the same medication, and therefore two charges. The only solution is to arrange for the prescription to be for all tablets or all capsules, if that's feasible.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with pp, it should be two charges. What is the medication, have you checked if it is possible to dispense the full dosage in one format?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Wouldn't one supply of 25mg tablets (provided that capsules aren't medically necessary) be the simplest answer? Three per dose.
  • joeypesci
    joeypesci Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. The prescription was given a while ago and were lead to believe the capsules were better as they have slow release. I'm thinking that memory might be wrong as would then be odd for the doctor to do two different style of tablets knowing it would cost more.
  • joeypesci
    Options
    Dragging up an old thread to ask another question regarding this.

If upon being told in store "Go to the till and tell them its one charge" and you then pay one charge and then leave the store. Can they then call you later to say "Sorry we made a mistake it's two charges. Can you come to the store and pay it". Can this request be refused? If they consistently keep under charging, surely they can't then make you come back to pay for their mistake?

Isn't this the same for buying items in store that are priced wrong on the shelf. If the mistake isn't picked up at the till and you pay and then leave. They can't call you to make you come back and pay for their mistake. So wouldn't this be the same for Boots Pharmacy?
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 September 2017 at 2:50PM
    Options
    Boots in this case are collecting the charge on behalf of the NHS so the situation is different.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    joeypesci wrote: »
    Dragging up an old thread to ask another question regarding this.

If upon being told in store "Go to the till and tell them its one charge" and you then pay one charge and then leave the store. Can they then call you later to say "Sorry we made a mistake it's two charges. Can you come to the store and pay it". Can this request be refused? If they consistently keep under charging, surely they can't then make you come back to pay for their mistake?

Isn't this the same for buying items in store that are priced wrong on the shelf. If the mistake isn't picked up at the till and you pay and then leave. They can't call you to make you come back and pay for their mistake. So wouldn't this be the same for Boots Pharmacy?

Refusal could result in them reporting you to the NHSBSA, who would issue you with a bill and a fine. They may pay it themselves, as a goodwill gesture, but a prescription charge is not something they can write off.
  • joeypesci
    Options
    Ah OK thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills