Charge for copies of my bank statements

Comments

• Hi guys, I have phoned Alliance + Leicester and asked for statements for the last 6 years and they said it would cost me £5 a month for six years because of my bank charges(maybe its a tactic of my bank charges, so they never have to refund me!)..they first also asked me, why i need the statements..I just said that it was just this "bill" but is this legal for the banks? to do this??
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    thesexyboY wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have phoned Alliance + Leicester and asked for statements for the last 6 years and they said it would cost me £5 a month for six years because of my bank charges(maybe its a tactic of my bank charges, so they never have to refund me!)..they first also asked me, why i need the statements..I just said that it was just this "bill" but is this legal for the banks? to do this??

You need to make a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act as per the Step by Step article in my signature.
  • thanks! alot.
  • obprestige
    obprestige Posts: 39 Forumite
    Hi all, I am currently in the process of starting to claim back the charges for my whole family and a few friends

I have read on previous posts that the maximum that the banks/cards can charge is £10 but i have also read that some charge £5 and some dont charge at all.

If anyone has a list of which banks charge and how much it would be greatly appreciated.

Help me to join the growing list of bank charge WINNERS.

Regards
  • I have just received a letter from Barclaycard stating that if I require copy statements these can be requested from customer services department at a standard charge of £3 per copy statement. I asked for my statements and enclosed the cheque for £10 and they have ignored it, so I will print off the one on here and send that but can they do this? I dont know if its different rules for credit cards???

Thanks in advance :D
  • sjpsam
    sjpsam Posts: 325 Forumite
    Did you ask for statements from them or copy of the charges??

I used the templated letter, which asked for the details of the charges and if they could not provide them, then statements will do.

I would use that letter and resend it off to them with the £10 cheque if you asked outright for copy statements, if you asked for details of the charges then report them to the Information Commissioner for not providing you with what you requested

Hope that helps
    :) If you like what I say please say thanks :)
  • boo2905
    boo2905 Posts: 129
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi wondering if anyone can give me some advice

I phoned HSBC a few days ago asking for my old credit card statements from the past 6 years. The man on the phone gladly obliged and said that when you order them in bulk the first 12 are free and after that they were 50p per statement. He was really nice (odd for HSBC:rolleyes: ) and suggested that i ordered 12 then and once they arrived rung up and ordered the next lot and I'd still get them free.

I've just rung up again now and the woman on the end of the phone first of all didn't understand me :mad: and then said that he was wrong and any statements I ordered now would cost me £1 per statement and I know that I've got about 20 left to get. I know they can charge you but surely with the Freedom of Information Act I can get copies of my own personal bank records - they can't keep my own information from me can they????
    :mad:
  • Heidy_2
    Heidy_2 Posts: 162 Forumite
    Hi everyone I have a Lloyds TSB MasterCard Account Current A/c and Credit Card too I needed to access my bank Statements for the last 12 months as I had purchased goods on Mastercard this was a receipt and the retailer would not entertain refunding them either.

Lloyds want 9 x £6-00 UK sterling(£6.00 each per month) thats £54-00 for providing me with them information. talk about overcharging,there online records do not extend beyond 3 months either another moneymaking scam.

Can I get this information under the Data Protection Act by paying £10-00 UK???

Thanks

Heidy
  • Kurt_Hamster
    Kurt_Hamster Posts: 791 Forumite
    Yes you can, but you need to ask for it in the right way. See Martin's article for the SAR request wording.
    Hamsters have no tact and diplomacy, nor do they want any.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I want to reclaim my bank charges but dont have 6yrs worth of paperwork. In Martins reclaim charges letter it says you can request copies of old statements. Given past experiences banks charge £10 per duplcate statement which would run into hundreds???? Unless ive read this wrong - any advice welcomed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure