Cheap e-book readers discussion

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Barbablanca
    Options
    I was disappointed to see that this article only covered Amazon Kindle, Kobo, and Nook. There are many more e-book readers that have the same "E ink" type screen; I can't post links, but google for "comparison of ebook readers" and you'll find several.
    Personally, I would never buy any book locked into DRM, which has many disadvantages - google for "defective by design" .So I'd go for an Android tablet and a free app like Aldiko for book-reading in ePub or PDF format, google for "best ebook reader android apps".
  • homeopath
    homeopath Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 6 March 2016 at 11:33AM
    Options
    I save room in my house for books I no longer need to store. I have a kobo glo which is well used

Also I can borrow a wide variety of e books from my local library at any time of day or night. I will never be fined for late returns, because the books simply end
  • Oasis1
    Oasis1 Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kindle Paperwhite is on offer on John Lewis for £89.95 (-£20 RRP)
  • jopov
    jopov Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a paper white but wanted an ereader which had side buttons as have metal plate in wrist and touchscreen movements hurt. Can't afford the Oasis so looked all over ereader forums. Found a Bookeen online for 89 quid and could not be happier. It's got a back light and side buttons. Downside is book store is French but can be ignored. There is the facility to go onto normal Web browser as well for English books, as long as in epub format. I use Calibre software on pc to download books then quickly convert to epub format which the Bookeen uses. I downloaded the manual in English and I'm very pleased with this reader for the price - but don't buy if you can't use interface Calibre software and how to use USB to transfer. Cases can run expensive as the ereader has a cut off corner so must buy dedicated case but I saved so much on price was happy to pay 14 euros plus 10 euros postage.
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have been using the old Kindle keyboard (kindle 3) for years and years, replacing by buying secondhand on ebay when they fail. These also have side buttons and I dislike touchscreen as they get finger marks all over. They also have a large amount of storage. Currently they cost around 30-35 on ebay, no backlight though if this is essential for you. HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure