New Buying From China (incl AliExpress) guide discussion

Comments

• jogu
    jogu Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    prenton01 wrote: »
    I order loads from Aliexpress recently

https://!!!!!!!.com/ybuyrm7d Mobile phone - does everything i need quality spot on

So you've tested it to make sure it meets the EU limits for the amount of electromagnetic radiation it pumps into your head whilst you're using it, and verified that the Li-ion batteries are correctly overload protected and vented? You're a lucky guy, not many people have access to the necessary level of knowledge and test equipment to do that.
  • Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread but Topcashback website are offering 6% cashback when purchasing off Aliexpress.

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/blog/highest-cashback-guarantee/
    From September 2008 - Wepromiseto £133.19, Greasypalm £46.16, Quidco £10.40, Cashback Kings £74.54. Vouchers £31.00. myhpf £21.03
    Topcashback £137.54 Matchbetting £24.70 MORTGAGE FREE END OF JULY 2015 (YIPPEE!)
  • I have bought several items from China without any problem BUT don't buy clothes jewellery shoes etc. They are TINY. Rings won't fit on even little finger, couldn't get my arm in a jacket ( I'm size 12). Take special care because they obviously know theres a problem and give you measurements in ins or mm. NOTICE THEM !
  • Just a warning not to rely on AliExpress's dispute resolution service. My complaint was rejected as "not valid" because I had not uploaded a video when I could see no requirement to upload a video and a video could not be relevant to my complaint.

I ordered a Li-ion battery charger to charge 9 Volt batteries (described as a "9V Li-ion NI-MH NI-CD 4 Slots Battery Charger". When it arrived, I tested the charger and it cut out when the Li-ion batteries reached 8 volts and would not charge them any further. It charged 9 volt Ni-Mh/Ni-Cd batteries to the full 9 volts. The leaflet with the charger said it was for Ni-Mh/Ni-CD batteries; it did not mention Li-ion batteries.

I asked the supplier to either send me a charger that worked with Li-ion batteries or send a refund. They replied that "this charger just can charge 9f66 and nimh rechargeable batteries ,the illustration of charger is clear". I replied that the order clearly described it as a Li-ion charger and uploaded an image of the order. The seller's AliExpress web-site also clearly described it as charging 9v li-ion batteries.

The dispute went to Ali-Express for resolution and they ruled my complaint invalid because I had not uploaded a video. I can not see any requirement in their procedures for a video to be uploaded and can not see how a video would have helped in this case. I have lodged an appeal but do not expect anything.

It only cost me $4.74 so I'll just have to put up with partly charged batteries.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I do find it rather bizarre that the form for entering a UK address at AliExpress is flawed. You get an entry labelled 'City', which contains a drop-down list of counties.
    Stompa
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    edited 25 December 2017 at 3:13PM
    Hi! Looking to buy from Indian EBay....but most don't ship to the UK. Looked at EBay easypay....BUT the more limited choices are nearly UK prices or more! I realise that resellers fees, customs charges etc are included in EBay easypay....,but there MUST be a cheaper way to do it?

Any ideas guys?

Happy Xmas!:beer:
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Hi all,

For the help of other forumites.....my experience of above sites. All OK for SMALL electrical (is biggest thing is Android TV BOXES), Gearbest/Ali Express/DH GATE SEEM FAIRLY LEVEL, Ali Express just pipping the others price/choice wise. Also Ali Express
    good for USB stocks/aromatherapy diffusers, small car electronics like temperature readers etc.

Clothes, men's jackets/coats, DH GATE seems the urber cheapest place! Aware of adding 2 to 3 sizes on top of Asian size to get correct fit.....I'm M in UK but XXL in China lol!

I always try & keep at/under the £15 mark per order to avoid fees, etc & use the slow, free shipping.

I also pay in dollars on a Tandem Credit Card, perfect exchange, no loading ( how tight am I???! Lol). As the Ali Express she is HUGE I use thieve.co for ideas, it's great & easy.

A y other experiences/advice for other Chinese sites that people have used? Its so much information just on ONE site that any recommendations from other kind forumites would be great? :A:beer:

Thanks in advance for any other info!
    ??:j:)
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    We use Fasttech and have done for several years.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Thanks MovingForwards, much easier to navigate than Ali Express or Ali Baba! Like the easy to read interface.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Just got my 2nd Xiaomi mobile from AliExpress , first one dodged customs charges , this 2nd one got stopped by royal mail while I paid the £12.99 charge . Painless online payment and gets delivered 2 days later.

It's still a huge bargain either way
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family