loan for unemployed?

2»

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Rather than borrowing the money, which I don't think you're going to be able to do anyway, what about letting a spare room to a lodger to boost your income?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The lump sum is due in a few years time, how are you going to meet the payments plus the usual day to day living costs ?

I see it as a non starter imo.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    sparker123 wrote: »
    yep, unfortunately a lot are in the same situation though, the new regime is a failure on many levels. When people have bills to pay sentiment does not come into it really.

UC makes it far easier than JSA did. But hey if you want to stay poor and on the bones of your backside not having enough money to live on because you might have to fill in a few forms whatever floats your boat.
    pixie5740 wrote:
    Rather than borrowing the money, which I don't think you're going to be able to do anyway, what about letting a spare room to a lodger to boost your income?
    They can't because it'll affect their benefits and they'll have to fill in some forms so its a non-starter.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Tarambor wrote: »
    UC makes it far easier than JSA did. But hey if you want to stay poor and on the bones of your backside not having enough money to live on because you might have to fill in a few forms whatever floats your boat.

I think in theory UC is supposed to make it easier but the reality is quite different. Some people also seem to end up with less money on UC than they were getting under the previous benefits system. My brother was made redundant, took a Christmas temp job in a pop-up shop and the whole thing was a bit of a nightmare in terms of restarting his benefits but luckily he has found something more permanent quite quickly after the temp job ended.
    Tarambor wrote: »
    They can't because it'll affect their benefits and they'll have to fill in some forms so its a non-starter.

Fair enough. I couldn't remember if income from a lodger was discounted or not. The extra income could help smooth the way for the OP picking up temporary work though.
  • sparker123 wrote: »
    the problem now is that even if I find short term work I will end up having to sign back onto this new system which is much harsher so not really worth the risk
    Unfortunately it’s this attitude that brings you to where you are now, scraping around for money and sounding pretty miserable.

It’s pretty much inevitable with a mindset like you display above that you’ll not end up where you want to be. To be frank thinking that five thousand pounds spread over a few years will make the difference is fantasy.

Why not get up tomorrow, get out, and start trying to turn your life around? It’s not going to happen by making yourself ever poorer by paying interest that you don’t need to.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Fair enough. I couldn't remember if income from a lodger was discounted or not. The extra income could help smooth the way for the OP picking up temporary work though.

But it won't be extra income because it'll be offset against their benefits so they'll still end up with the same amount, just from different sources.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You cannot afford to service the further debt of £5K that you want to take on. So you are expecting someone to lend you money, interest-free, for an indefinite number of years until you come into some money? Which, if it is an inheritance, may not materialise.
    Your only security to borrow against is your house, and if you do that and default, you will be homeless.
    I don't think you've really thought this through.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport