* Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread

Comments

• Treasurequeen
    Treasurequeen Posts: 615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    edited 28 December 2017 at 8:00PM
    Regarding wrapping paper, I like to buy different designs, traditional paper for my grandparents, I also buy a roll with a childish design for the animals presents. My dog loves unwrapping his own presents. I then buy gold and silver paper for everyone else's presents and use ribbon and bows to add colour.

I make my own tags out of old Christmas cards and ribbon and twine. And then I Will buy a few packs of tags to match the special paper.

I got some lovely Christmas boxed cards in G&Ts In October for a box of 12 for £1.00 which I thought was reasonable and they were very good quality cards. So will buy them again for next Christmas. I have a few left which will do a few people next Christmas. But I will need to get another box.

My resolutions:
    - I will do the crafts I have everything for first before trying any others. ( calligraphy, jewellery making, cross stitch, sewing kits, beadwork)
    - I will have more fun away from trouble at flats
    - I will go for a walk at least once a week.
    - work hard to rebuild my Health back up after being so ill. Through exercise, putting on weight and being happy mood wise.
  • Christmas pennies all spent on buying myself four simple craft dies and some plain coloured cardstock- I have lots of patterned papers/card but really wanted some plain. Will have a sort out of my craft storage and use up all the odds and ends in the coming weeks.

Gifts have all been put away so least everywhere looks tidier again now. Tree and decorations are still up. Will probably put them away beginning of next week and have a good clean round.

Hoping though for a trip to the beach on new years day. We did it last year and we had a great day!
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • Hi everyone

I've always lurked on the old threads and posted a little but life always gets in the way.

Gutted It's all over but I'm another that can't wait for all the decorations to come down but DH wants them up till after new year. All pressies were well received and put away. Got my mum and sister and extra present of an afternoon tea to say thanks. They do a lot for me in respect of my kids and want them to know how much I appreciate it. Mum was nearly in tears.

Been to town and the sales here were shocking. The best stuff was Christmas stuff was in the card factory but I've got so much stuff already I didn't bother. I always try to do brown paper too as it cheap and it's looks great with a bit of embellishment. I did get an absolutely beautiful box of decorations half price from Costco to put away.

I'm now sitting here working on my savings plans for next year xxx
  • Our tree/decks come down Jan 2nd then a good clean. No paper or cards needed except for birthdays. Nothing in the local sales worth buying
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    I went to The Range hoping to get some baubles for next year and was really disappointed. Lots of signs saying 'up to 50% off selected lines' but not many of the lines themselves. Most of the baubles were reduced from £1.99 to £1.49 - that's not a sale in my book. :(
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • My dog loves unwrapping his own presents.
    My old girl used to love opening her presents, I used to love watching her get into her new toys. Our new pup is very interested in the present, but won't grab and pull at the paper.
    I make my own tags out of old Christmas cards and ribbon and twine.
    Oh! Thanks for reminding me! We had the sticker type this year, which were lovely and easy to use. But we are running low so I will do some cutting up when the decs come down and get boxed up.

My main resolutions for 2018 are:
    1) Get to my goal weight (22.2lbs lost in 2017, I'm aiming for another 50lbs this year)
    2) Pass my grade 8 Saxophone exam
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Welcome Mischiefmanaged and any one i may have missed.

I too have been very disappointed with the Sales. The best I have seen was half price and 3 for 2 on toiletries in Asda.
    I would like some new duvet covers for our room.We have a superkingsize bed and I got so fed up of trying to change the mahoosive duvet cover we now have a single each.I have bought new red curtains and am looking for something in a dove grey.Please give me a shout if anyone sees anything. You lot are so good at spotting a deal.

Today I have been home alone and have had a proper tidy up.All gifts put away,wrapping and gift bags etc.Loadsa washing put away.Some sorting out of stuff to sell.I am feeling a big sort out coming on. I will start when the decs come down on 2nd january and have a good sort out before they go in the loft. The loft in general will be gone through and anything not needed will be sold.

I have been thinking about what i would like to achieve next year.

1.) Declutter the whole house so as to be streamlined if we get the chance to move to a bugalow.

2.) Sell shiz and save the money instead of frittering it away. I would like to make a contribution to a cruise in 2019 (60th).

3.) Loose at least 2 stone.Walk more.

4.) Be more sociable.try to make more friends in the village.

5.) remember to click the TY button on here! Try to upload pics here.

Vx
     :
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Really loving having nothing to do. I can never fully relax as I'm too fidgety, but Im enjoying watching films with the kids and snuggling whenever we want. The beauty of working term time.

I'm still unwell, but I did end up at the hospital and the doctor on call on the 28th. I have been trying to shake a deep chesty cough for a month now. Then I got the cold on top a few days ago. This left me with shallow breathing and pains in my chest and back. So I relented and called NHS 24. I felt so guilty calling as it wasn't an emergency really, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get a doctors appointment until well into the new year. The doctor was lovely and said I have a very deep infection in my chest. I'm on amoxicillin. I really try and avoid antiboiotics, but my stubbornness was finally kicked into touch. It's only been a couple of days on the tablets, but already I feel my chest lighter. I know I should have went a couple of weeks ago.

What's everyone's plans for Hogmanay? Do you go out or stay in? I used to go to friends houses for New Years gatherings, or they came to me. But no one seems to have parties anymore, all have kids I guess lol. I'm babysitting my 1 yr old Neice along with my own 3. I'll be in bed early.

I have a very big decision to make in the new year. Regarding an offer of a house and moving. But it's a differnt village, which involves changing the kids schools. My eldest has just started high school. It's also a way smaller house. I have so much stuff :-( I don't want to move at all. But it's cheaper rent, council tax and more secure. My head and heart are torn trying to figure out what is best.

ETA- it was the doctor on call center I was referred to at the hospital, not A&E. Wouldn't have ŵent there woth a cough. Still felt guilty though.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • nic - glad you finally relented! I hate having to take even painkillers for a headache so I get where you're coming from but sometimes we need a little hand when something is just not getting any better and to stop us feeling so miserable. Hope you feel much better soon.

Peppa - I'm surprised there was anything left in the Range, usually in my local one it's all sold out about a week before Christmas for decorations etc. I agree though, that's not really a sale.

I like to keep the tree up for New Years, although some of the other decorations will be put away before that. Tree will probably come down on Monday or Tuesday (may be a 2 part effort!) so that everything is back to normal before I go back to work on Weds. Haven't even bothered looking in the sales as I was quite disappointed last year. I find it easier to get things throughout the year on offer. Don't need any cards or wrapping paper either :)
  • Afternoon everyone, glad to hear you all had good Christmases. Mine I had a massive panic attack in the morning :( over my DS presents, he wants to take me on various days out to get over my fear of going out but it was too much and just set me off, I felt so awful for him because he puts so much thought and effort into his presents. But had a great rest of day with Thumper, he absolutely loves his kindle fire so that made me happy. We ate dinner so late it just seemed to take ages this year, so the day went far too quick, we played some games after dinner and just had a fun day. The rest of the week we have all had long lie ins and film afternoons, its been so nice having both DD1 and DS home the whole break, usually they have to rush off back to work, so it still feels Christmassy here. I too cant bear the decs and tree up for NY but this year I don't want to take the tree down! I will see how I feel tomorrow. I stay in on NYE and have a quiet night in then NYD we all get together again and have a roast. I still need to think about resolutions :D
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure