What small DFW things will you do w/c 14th January 2019?

carrielovesfanta
carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
edited 15 January 2019 at 1:07PM in Debt-free wannabe
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important! :money:

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
Total repaid: £10,490.31
Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
SAVINGS: £20,000
Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113

Comments

• carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 January 2019 at 9:37AM
    Wot no thread? :D

Dickenlass - what type of lentils? I know that foxgloves has a fab lentil "meat"loaf recipe

Feeling a bit tired and off this morning but hoping to perk up. the early mornings just don't agree with me! I might have to rethink my morning routine...

Just a normal mission today:
    • B/L/D from stores - done
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Gym at lunch time - done
    • Write up a couple of recipes into new folder - done
    • Crochet - nope
    • No alcohol - can't even if I wanted to as have taken my medication
    • Heating off all day - done. Off totally
    • Continue good work of talking myself out of purchases. New car means that we will need to be a bit more frugal - done
    Have a good one all

clf x
  • Morning all :hello: thanks for starting us off CLF

My list today:
    Wfh :j will try and fit in a run. Famous last words :rotfl:
    One load of washing to hang out round the house, too damp for outside
    Some other washing to put away
    Tweak meal plan now we know what's in veg box. Tonight will be smoked haddock and leek risotto
    Freeze a portion of white cabbage that was left over from yesterday
    Call and cancel a policy and then associated direct debit
    Peel and chop a fresh pineapple

Will be back later. Have a good start to the week folks. Purps.
  • Found it! Blimey the post was from 2013!!

ally - I think the lentil roast mentioner was me, as I made one last week. This is the recipe. Sorry it's in imperial.....it's an old recipe.
    Lentil roast
    8oz small red split lentils
    2 onions, finely chopped
    2oz breadcrumbs (not those bought neon orange ones you can see from space....just stale bread grated or whizzed up into crumbs)
    1 small apple, peeled & finely chopped
    1 tbsp oil
    2 tomatoes, skinned, seeds removed, chopped OR 1 tomato & a small stick of celery, finely chopped.
    1 tsp dried sage or to taste, more if using fresh
    1 egg, beaten
    salt & pepper
    -Set oven to Gas mark 6
    -Rinse the lentils. Place in pan of water, bring to boil & simmer until soft & water absorbed. (I just wait till they are soft, doesn't take long, then tip into a sieve & drain off most of the water) Return to pan & beat till they are a thick sludgy consistency.
    -While lentils are cooking, heat oil & fry onions, apples, celery if using, tomato & herbs until soft.
    -Add to lentils along with breadcrumbs, beaten egg & seasoning to taste.
    Turn into a greased lined 2lb loaf tin & bake for 45-60 mins (I use bought-in loaf tin liners for this as a pack lasts ages, it saves time & roast turns out really easily but that's just my preference). At half time, you may wish to cover the top with foil or baking parchment if it's getting too brown.
    Good things about this roast:
    -It's really cheap & good for using up things like wrinkly apples, bendy celery, sprouty onions, etc.
    -It's really filling. This easily does 4 portions.
    -It freezes well both as an uncooked roast in its tin, or cooked, sliced into thick chunks, foiled then reheated.
    -You can vary the ingredients. I sometimes add red peppers, more summer veg & it gives it a different vibe.
    -It's just as good cold with salad.
    -It's dead portable so we use it for picnics with hot chutney.
    -If you add slightly less egg & a few more breadcrumbs, chilli flakes, garlic & a bit of cumin/coriander, you can shape this into spicy lentil burgers. They are nice in bread buns with salad. Also freezes well as burgers & can be fried from frozen.
    Hope you enjoy trying it, anyway.
    foxgloves x
  • CLF Thank you for starting this weeks thread :A

Dickenslass Thank you, I try and keep their education fun and practical.

Today's list
    Only planned spends
    Go shopping
    Stick to list
    Record spends
    PAD
    Put ALL shopping away
    Dry washing on airer
    Set DW to run overnight
    Set WM to run overnight
    Find library loans
    Stick to the meal plan
    B/L/D from home
    Pack drinks and snacks for todays training
    Home educate children
    Use stamp from RM survey to post completed lessons for external marking

OH has a list of calls to make today, many of which are frogs, hopefully these will be eaten today.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 January 2019 at 7:40PM
    Morning all :)
    Thanks for starting us off CLF - and for the reminder about Foxgloves' lentil roast. I must try that! I usually use lentils just in soups and stews.

Feeling a bit better this morning, which is just as well, as OH is feeling particularly sorry for himself :rotfl:
    So far today I have:
    Had cooked HG fruit from freezer instead of bought fresh fruit with breakfast :)
    Pegged bigger washing items outside, not sure if it will dry as it is dull and cold out there. Will finish on airer overnight. Socks and cleaning cloths on radiator.
    Sorted out a couple of boxes of things to take to my sales unit (I am having a sale, and hoping to get rid!)

Still to do:
    Clear up kitchen Done, but needs doing again now!
    Check banks and update spreadsheet Still to do
    Actually take boxes to sales unit Done
    RM surveys stuff to post office Done
    Some bits for the CS Done
    No shopping (though I have started a list for when I do go) Nothing spent today :D
    Lunch and dinner from what we have already :DDone
    More tidying in the garden later :)Done

Hope everyone has a good day :)
  • merida88
    merida88 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Morning all! :hello:

I really must get better at posting at the weekend! Still it was pretty on-track and quite productive, lots of mending, dying (jeans and hair, not same colour), dog walks and a bit of sorting the Room of Doom.

HORRIBLE dreams last night though, so I'm feeling a little "behind glass" today.

Today's list:
    - bike to work AM
    - all meals and snacks from stores - I have finished the ham! This week's meals are on the theme of feta cheese instead :rotfl:
    - no alcohol
    - wash towels/shirt/slippers used during henna-ing process (I have old ones for this purpose to avoid ruining good stuff)
    - forms for dog walker (not MSE at all but neccessary)

Have a good day all :)
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 January 2019 at 6:04PM
    Morning :D thanks for starting the thread clf & also digging out that recipe. Ha ha I'm assuming that's work time well spent???! :rotfl:

BB I agree I always think how nice your home life sounds :D

So I'm off, and I'm feeling better :j not 100% but enough that I can go about my life :D determined to not waste my life online today so after my coffee & post I'll be offline :cool:

Am loving our lounge since we've had a shift around with the furniture. It's a small lounge so there isn't a lot of options!

Today:

[STRIKE]* take pup for walks x 2 - will do 1st after my coffee
    *[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]use up for lunch - have Jacket potato & veg lo from Sat [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* burgers out of freezer for oh & madam for tea - I will have xmas dinner soup mmmmm[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* check onepoll[/STRIKE]
    * check HMRC website to see if they have accepted I don't need to submit self assessment
    [STRIKE]* I want to nip to a cs in town and get some fabric & zips to make cushion covers[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* flylady & nip round and tidy[/STRIKE]
    * finish shirt & do a couple of small repairs
    [STRIKE]* carry on knitting sock[/STRIKE] - chuffed I forced myself to cast on and do cuff last night. It's not my favourite craft knitting but felt so good to actually be doing something rather than just sitting down mindlessly watching telly/scrolling fb. Oh was making music and I was knitting. New configuration of lounge already paying off :money:
    [STRIKE]* madam going to free asc today & having free (universal) school meals :money:[/STRIKE]

ok going to go now. May check in this evening to see how I did :D Happy Monday to you all
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • ChasingtheWelshdream
    ChasingtheWelshdream Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 January 2019 at 3:31PM
    Morning all :waves:

Normality has resumed! DS1 shingles have all scabbed over so all kids back at school! :D:D:D My first time alone since they broke up for Christmas so I'm determined not to waste these precious 6 hours!

A bit of a cleanup today - re-homed an old sofa at the weekend which leaves me room to move in the Room of Doom and try to get it back into use. I upcycled/semi-destroyed some built in shelves to convert to a dedicated home-office area (£0)- and am sitting here now, leaving me a lovely big area in the hall organise the chaos that is kids coats/shoes/bags. I won't do anything about it today, but have promised myself 1/2 hour on pintrest for ideas later, if I finish my list. :beer:

List for today, including a couple of frogs.

School run without purse to avoid Greggs temptation. Done

Order library book (I've discovered a new author) Ordered 2 :-)

Reconcile bank/receipts

Soup or jacket potato in the oven for lunch Opted for jacket as they are starting to sprout. Popped in Everhot before swim, ready when I came back to eat with coleslaw that needs eating up

Fill dishwasher Done - Trying to work out if the 'Eco' setting (45 deg 3 hours) is better than the 'Rapid' wash (65 deg, 45 mins) Must find the manual for energy usage....

Washing out, (cycle nearly complete), put dry load away. Done - chanced a second load on the line but it's a bit grey so I'm not sure how much will dry

Strip our bed (Kids can last a bit longer) Done

After school clubs start this week, so check diary/calendar is correct

Hoover/dust a roomLast task before school run!

Clean bathroom Done, using my first purchase of Stardrop

Sort out one random box of paperwork and re-home properly into new office area

Check freezer and write meal plan/shopping list

Something homemade for afterschool snack Tried some scones - they look a bit flat but I doubt the kids will care

Ring plumber (not responding to any emails/texts so far. The Room of Doom is cold :-( )Still no response. :-(
    List one item from my box for sale.

Work on 'money box' strategy now all big spends have gone out this month.

Use membership for swim at 11am when pool is open. Done, but a bit later in order to put the second wash on the line. I've not been on a Monday before and it was busy. I'll try earlier next week as I don't like the constant lane shuffle

Not too cold, so heating off most of the day

Phew! That's quite a list, so I'd better get on! The sun has come out so the washing machine needs to hurry up!

Have a lovely day all. :rotfl:
  • Morning :D thanks for starting the thread clf & also digging out that recipe. Ha ha I'm assuming that's work time well spent???! :rotfl:

:shhh: you saw nothing ;)
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 January 2019 at 4:16PM
    Morning all,

Thanks for the new thread Clf,

Todays list
    * more ys bread for ds1s toast/eggs breakfast - very rare to have anything other then ys to be fair! done
    * ds2 to free school breakfast club done
    * gym class & refill water bottle there, its only £16/month and I usually do 5 classes a week so good value done
    * meet a friend at costalot mse as I used my loyalty card for my pot of tea and didn't have anything to eat
    * aldee with list stuck to the list but couldn't read one of the scrawlings on there :( realised now it was frozen berries but will write in on my new list so that I can read it!
    * just eating breakfast at home now which is the overnight oats I made yesterday and a :coffee: done
    To do
    * check banking /update spreadsheet / email said spreadsheet back to myself done, done and [STRIKE]whoops will do now![/STRIKE]and done
    * check alarm clock sockets are off - its the little things... done
    * run the dishwasher on the quick wash done
    * wash a load on the quick 30 degree wash not that I have bought wash powder! done
    * radiator shuffle yesterdays washing away ready for ^^ done
    * update kids pocket money spends in bullet journal as they've both spent over the weekenddone
    * clean kitchen using stardrops, since joining this thread this has saved me lots of money!
    * update dss med diary - need to keep on top of this
    * hoover just where needs doing who was I kidding! the kids have been home for the weekend so everywhere needed doing!
    * leftovers for tea for me and the kids, check meal plan for dh's! left over Sunday dinner for us and a curry style dish for dh , quick and easy for him as he's working late again :(

** Played around with spreadsheet and switched some standing orders to the 1st of the month rather then scattered through the month, so far this last couple of months I've gone down from 60+ lines of transactions a month on my spreadsheet down to 40 ish the last couple of months - this continues to save me time each month!

Thats my starter, have a good day all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure