freeview channels disappearing...

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I have just had a similar issue, HD channels were working fine and suddenly weren't there. I checked my aerial by connecting it direct to a TV (rather than through the splitter/amp) and had no signal at all. Decided it was an aerial issue - can't believe it, it's only 10 years old! My chap I use for aerials and satellite dishes has just left, after fitting new aerial. He showed me the old one and the leads soldered to the little pcb had rotted away due to water ingress. Now plenty of signal and all HD channels are back. Result - Mrs Le_Kirk happy - Le_Kirk off the hook!
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Buy a new amplifier. They don't always last forever. Cheap as chips to buy - find make and type on existing box then buy one online.

And also try without. Amplifiers are a lot less usefull on digital. They just amplify the noise too and you still get nothing.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The signal direct to the TV is better now. Although it wasn't before they messed around with the transmitter (Crystal Palace is my local).

Is that skipping the amp entirely or do you mean direct from the amp?

Try it direct from the aerial to the TV with nothing else interrupting the signal.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    BTW I'm presuming you know how to correctly tune Freeview?

As long as you have a decent signal take the aerial feed out and do a full scan, this will clear all stored channels. Then do the same with the aerial in, you'll need to do this with both TV & YV box.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2018 at 12:48PM
    I understand that BBC4 HD is one of a number of channels moved in the latest update to a higher frequency band and that some older (Group A) aerials don't receive that band very well, and also some tuners i(e.g. in PVRs) struggle more than others.

I've lost it as well.

Many forums discussing the issue ... one of them :

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Unable-to-receive-BBC-4-HD-after-Freeview-retune/td-p/1837965
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    I have just had a similar issue, HD channels were working fine and suddenly weren't there. I checked my aerial by connecting it direct to a TV (rather than through the splitter/amp) and had no signal at all. Decided it was an aerial issue - can't believe it, it's only 10 years old! My chap I use for aerials and satellite dishes has just left, after fitting new aerial. He showed me the old one and the leads soldered to the little pcb had rotted away due to water ingress. Now plenty of signal and all HD channels are back. Result - Mrs Le_Kirk happy - Le_Kirk off the hook!

My mum and dad have just had the same issue...they just aren't made as robustly as they once were - applies to most things these days ;)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    GunJack wrote: »
    My mum and dad have just had the same issue...they just aren't made as robustly as they once were - applies to most things these days ;)
    I hope you were referring to the aerial and not your mum & Dad!!:)
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I’ve not tried without amp at all, but have aerial coming into house and then to tv - retuned TV and got all channels again.

But going from aerial via YouView Box I don’t.

I’ll try returning without aerial plugged in to reset it. I’ve done that before but not this time.

Is there any way of being able to tell what type of aerial I have on the roof and if there is a newer type that would make a difference? Has the tech changed in the last 3 years?

Thanks all!
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is there any way of being able to tell what type of aerial I have on the roof and if there is a newer type that would make a difference?
    Take a picture of your aerial and find a website all about TV aerials like this one: http://www.aerialsandtv.com/index.html. Compare the pictures on the website with the the picture of yours. Factor in what part of the spectrum TV was broadcast in your area when the aerial was installed.
    Has the tech changed in the last 3 years?
    No. TV aerial tech hasn't really changed for decades.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Many aerial amplifiers are wide band and suffer from strong local signals blocking out the wanted TV signal. Emergency service (Airwave) base stations, lower frequency mobile phone masts, etc. can block the amplifier.

Digital TV tuners are very sensitive, I doubt you need an aerial amp. As others mentioned, try it directly connected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure