A car keeps blocking our access to the road

My property and a few others in my block includes an allocated parking space which runs perpendicular to the road. The road itself its quite narrow and has double yellow lines all the way down. Every evening this week a car has parked on the road directly opposite the parking spaces. Due to how narrow the road is I have been unable to get my car out tonight. My car is quite large and they are also blocking my neighbour's van from getting out due to the size. I have left a note asking them to park elsewhere but it has been ignored. What should my next port of call be? I am not so fussed about being able to get INTO my space but they are blocking me from getting out which from what I understand is illegal. I have no way of finding out whose car it is as there are lots of blocks of flats in the area and I can't go around asking them all.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The police might place an advisory note on it I suppose but you need to find out who the car belongs to if you are going to get it addressed properly.

A temporary measure might be for you and your neighbour to work in concert, one of you parking in that spot for a week and moving when the other needs to come and go, just to deter the third party from parking there, but if the third party is a commuter or visitor, they may keep parking there anytime it's free anyway.
  • niamhrado
    niamhrado Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thanks for your reply, the car is parked on the road which has double yellow lines all the way down so we wouldn't be able to park in that space :(
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If your access is blocked I believe you can phone the police who will check the vehicle's reg and get in touch with the owner.

Had to do this at work once as a car was parked opposite the gates for our van parking and it was impossible to get it out, and local PCSOs were round quite fast (must have been a slow day). Mortified to discover the errant car belonged to someone on the premises at the time! But their parking improved!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • niamhrado wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, the car is parked on the road which has double yellow lines all the way down so we wouldn't be able to park in that space :(

If its on double yellows surely an anonymous phone call to the council would sort this?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If its on double yellows surely an anonymous phone call to the council would sort this?

Sounds like double yellows on private property not a public highway so not enforceable.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    get whoever administers the double yellows to start ticketing the car
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think we need to know

1) Is the offending car actually parked on double yellow lines, or are the lines just on the side of the road the OP parks?

1) Is this a public highway or on private property? If the later then the double yellow lines are just yellow paint.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    How about getting a couple of residents (or friends) to park as close to the front and rear of the offending car in order to inconvenience THEM?
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    OP - if it's on the public highway - police for blocking access, local council for parking fine. I expect the latter is likely to be swifter as there's money in it, but there should be an NPT (Neighbourhood Police Team), who would work with PCSO's etc. to deal with relatively low level policing issues. They can access PNC and find out owner details - if they are local, they can have a word. Could be a pool car for local bad uns, or a perfectly legit car with a dopey owner. If it's not a public road, then they are doing nothing illegal, just annoying to you. Bear in mind it's probably double yellowed to allow access, particularly for fire service to flats. If it's high level flats you could maybe speak to local fire brigade and raise concerns about emergency vehicle access in case of a tower block going up in smoke?
    Your 1st post sounds like they are moving the car every day? Could you find out when they are going out, and try and catch them for a friendly chat?
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    How about getting a couple of residents (or friends) to park as close to the front and rear of the offending car in order to inconvenience THEM?
    I think if the plod couldn't be bothered to do anything, which in all honesty, there's a good chance they'll be too busy dealing with all that major crime they bang on about :laugh::laugh::laugh:, this would be my choice. Let's park two cars nice and close to the boy, see how he feels when he can't get to the shops to buy some milk.

A call to the council as well perhaps?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport