Flight delay compensation, all other EU airlines

Options

Comments

• cinereus
    cinereus Posts: 2,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a flight from LGW-MAD-BOG with a connection of only 1 hour. If a delay of the first flight (or other reason) causes me to miss the TATL section, meaning I have to wait for a day to catch the next flight, will I be owed any compensation for arriving so late?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it is a one directly connecting ticket, purchased from the airline, then yes.
  • cinereus
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    If it is a one directly connecting ticket, purchased from the airline, then yes.

Thanks! Even if the connecting flight arrived on time and it was just due to me walking too slow, getting lost or something else not entirely the airline's fault? Or is it simply their fault for ticketing such a short connection?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cinereus wrote: »
    Thanks! Even if the connecting flight arrived on time and it was just due to me walking too slow, getting lost or something else not entirely the airline's fault? Or is it simply their fault for ticketing such a short connection?

Compensation is paid if the delay on the first flight causes you to miss the second flight and the delay is within the airlines control.

If the first flight is delayed due to ATC or weather or is not delayed and you still miss the second flight there is no compensation due (and if you miss the flight without a delay on the first flight you may have a significant wait for an alternative flight as the airline are unlikely to transfer your ticket to another airline so you would be waiting for the next flight they choose to put you on)

Just because an airline happens to offer a short connection does not mean you have to choose that, ultimately you make the decision on your connection time from those offered and take the responsibility. If you are a slow walker or need assistance thinking you are going to miss the onwards flight even if there are no delays, you should probably look to see if you can change your flights to give you longer in Madrid
  • swbird
    Options
    Just wanted to let people know that I got full compensation from Wizz Air for a flight that was delayed by more than 3 hours.

Wizz Air refused to pay when I claimed directly with them. I then complained in August to the European Consumer Centre in the country where the flight departed. The ECC forwarded my complaint to the national authority for consumer protection in that country, and Wizz Air contacted me in September to ask for my bank details.
  • cinereus
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    Compensation is paid if the delay on the first flight causes you to miss the second flight and the delay is within the airlines control.

If the first flight is delayed due to ATC or weather or is not delayed and you still miss the second flight there is no compensation due (and if you miss the flight without a delay on the first flight you may have a significant wait for an alternative flight as the airline are unlikely to transfer your ticket to another airline so you would be waiting for the next flight they choose to put you on)

Just because an airline happens to offer a short connection does not mean you have to choose that, ultimately you make the decision on your connection time from those offered and take the responsibility. If you are a slow walker or need assistance thinking you are going to miss the onwards flight even if there are no delays, you should probably look to see if you can change your flights to give you longer in Madrid

What if the flight arrives on time but something that is the airline's fault prevents me from making the connection? It seems a simple delay in arrival barely tells the whole picture...
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cinereus wrote: »
    What if the flight arrives on time but something that is the airline's fault prevents me from making the connection? It seems a simple delay in arrival barely tells the whole picture...

Rather than play this tortuous game of hypotheticals, why don't you tell us what actually happened and we can give you our best assessment of whether we think compensation is due?
  • Cazedarnes
    Options
    I was working in Cyprus and I had a return flight to Paris via Athens. The incoming flight to Larnaca was late and, consequently, I missed my connection to Paris. Aegean initially told us via their handling agents in Larnanca that, as there were so many of us, the Athens to Paris plane would be held. Unfortunately, it was not and we suffered a five hour delay in Athens.

This meant that i missed my connection on AirFrance to my home in Montpellier. It cost me over €250 to rebook for the following day and for an overnight hotel.

At Athens, I was told by Aegean staff that they had no responsibility for my Paris connection and that all they had do was get me to Paris. I was told to contact customer services. I done this repeatedly but i can not seem to get a response.

Yesterday, I phoned Aegean in Athens. The rep said she would get customer services to respond asap. Alas, silence still ensues.

Where do I stand here with regard to compensation? The CAA in London told me to contact the CAA in Athens.

Aegean's attitude is very poor and they need to be held accountable for their actions but how do I do it?

A family of four also missed their connection to London and are faced with a bill over over €4,000.

What are our rights here?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Start with Vauban's guide
    It would be very unusual for an airline to hold a flight for delayed passengers. I expect there would be a number of passengers on the Athens to Paris flight would have had connections in Paris that would be put at risk (together with the aircraft being delayed on subsequent legs)
    If your ticket to Montpelier (and the others tickets to London) were on separate tickets then Aegean are correct, that the contract you had with them was to get you to Paris alone and any consequential losses due to having a separate ticket are yours that you may be able to take up with your travel insurance (although it will depend on the policy wording whether they will cover it or not) Separate tickets come with risk
    Depending on the reason for the delay from Larnaca, you may be due EU compensation of €400 each if the delay was within the airlines control, reimbursement for any refreshments whilst waiting in Athens (they should refund this if you send in receipts irrespective of the reason for the delay) and nothing from the airline for any expenses post arrival in Paris unless the subsequent legs were part of the same ticket
  • Cazedarnes
    Options
    My problem is that I can not seem to get a response from Aegean despite emails and phone calls.

I have asked the reason for the delay of the inbound flight to Larnaca which subsequently caused our exit delay but I get no response.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback