Volunteering in your spare time

13»

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Well I've done a couple of sessions at the Hugeneot Museum , did my first tree research for somebody.

Quite enjoyed it and everyone's friendly
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • I'm a volunteer for Girlguiding. It's a great chance to help young people to develop and to have fun. I run units, so I am there every week during term time, but more flexible volunteering can be arranged. My daughter is also a volunteer, but only goes every other week due to shiftwork.

It requires an enhanced DBS check You can train to be an assistant leader or leader if you want to (you will receive training on first aid, safeguarding, and the programme for the age group that you volunteer with), or you can be a unit helper (safeguarding training). You don't pay for these. If you don't want to volunteer each week or fortnight, you can ask if other roles are available locally. You might be able to help out with accounts, for example.

It's great fun, and you make new friends of all ages.

https://www.girlguiding.org.uk
  • Suggestions if you don't really like people?

I used to volunteer for an animal group that arranged transport from either council shelters to a non kill shelter or collecting animals for 're-homing. Sometimes you'd be part of a chain, other times collect the pet and deliver within a couple of hours. I like driving so it suited me.
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Cinnamon trust

http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/volunteers/

You walk dogs for people

I had a look at their website and found that they require 3 lots of references including one professional, all of whom have known you for more than 5 years.

As a retired person for 8 years who has moved twice in the last 2 years I realised that I could not provide a single reference. Either I have lost touch with suitable people or those who would provide a good reference I have not known long enough. They require a professional reference but that is even worse. Haven’t known my GP or any other person of similar standing for long enough.

Last time I worked I was self employed.

Has anyone else had this problem? Their requirements are much higher than a lot of jobs:rotfl:
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Murphybear wrote: »
    I had a look at their website and found that they require 3 lots of references including one professional, all of whom have known you for more than 5 years.

As a retired person for 8 years who has moved twice in the last 2 years I realised that I could not provide a single reference. Either I have lost touch with suitable people or those who would provide a good reference I have not known long enough. They require a professional reference but that is even worse. Haven’t known my GP or any other person of similar standing for long enough.

Last time I worked I was self employed.

Has anyone else had this problem? Their requirements are much higher than a lot of jobs:rotfl:

Ps i used to sit on University recruitment panels and we found that most references are not worth the paper they are written on
  • I volunteer at Childline 👍
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Anyone crafty can help make blankets for homeless people. We are trying to set up local pods to make and distribute blankets locally. If there isn't a pod near you then consider starting your own pod.

I started sending off a few squares but have now made good friends that I meet regularly.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ll=52.48908716402138%2C-1.613363550000031&z=6&mid=1EEGGgXclwFj_BMDdo9WRenWXQ0zQlX7g

I hope the link works
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I hope the link works

Not for me.
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm a volunteer driver for the county council's voluntary social car scheme.

https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/public-transport-road-safety/transport/commtrans/voluntarycars.asp

Since our availability of buses around here is the square root of foxtrot oscar, we have a lot of, mainly, elderly people who cannot get about when they need to, be that for doctor's/hospital appointments, shopping or simply meeting friends for a coffee -or as one pair of ladies put it, getting to see a different four walls for a change.

Often they cannot afford taxis all the time so this council subsidised scheme can make a huge difference to their lives.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure