12 yr old racked up £450 on apps

2»

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bikertov wrote: »
    It does raise the issue that it is all too easy for anyone, child or not, to sign up for these weekly 'services' that start with free trials and are such a rip off.

They are designed to suck in the unwary, and remove as much money out of them before it is realised.

If accounts are checked on a regular basis, these kind of payments should be easily spotted and stopped in the tracks.
    Like I said, the user/adult can add a password to the account to prevent these purchases or just remove card details and use top up cards so if the son buys in app content he cant spend more than what the top up is worth.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    If accounts are checked on a regular basis, these kind of payments should be easily spotted and stopped in the tracks.
    Unless someone tells the companies it is a child's account how are they to know? At some point during the signup process for the Apple Store account payment details and a date of birth was put in.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Bikertov wrote: »
    It does raise the issue that it is all too easy for anyone, child or not, to sign up for these weekly 'services' that start with free trials and are such a rip off.

They are designed to suck in the unwary, and remove as much money out of them before it is realised.

You could equally argue that free trials are designed to suck in the greedy. And that it is equally easy to use basic security settings on online sites that hold your card details: Amazon, eBay, PayPal, iTunes ....

Unfortunately drunk me :beer: knows my passwords.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Unfortunately drunk me :beer: knows my passwords.

I think drunk you and drunk me would get along very very well!
  • Mony gone, nothing you can do about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure