Which suppliers provide gas when it is located in an independent LDZ (local distribution zone)?

My gas supply is located in an independent LDZ (local distribution zone). I understand this is slightly different to IGT's (Independent Gas transporters) which are part of the National Grid. Npower provide my electricity and E.On provide gas. I want to find a provider that’ll offer better tariffs dual fuel. Bulb looked attractive and so I contacted them for clarification before starting the switch. I did this because I tried a switch to npower dual fuel in 2010 and the process stalled! I had to abandon the switch because npower could not provide the gas thanks to the independent pipeline the property has. The house was built in 1999 and is not rural so I am unsure why an IGT National Grid system was not used. I presume the builder of these 68 houses chose this route. The LDZ independent pipeline arrangement locks me in to E.On unless I can identify which companies will supply gas via a MPRN (Meter Point Reference Number) starting with ‘74’ and the. Do all of the Big 6 including npower now provide gas no matter how it arrives at the property? If not, which suppliers can I consider? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My gas supply is located in an independent LDZ (local distribution zone). I understand this is slightly different to IGT's (Independent Gas transporters) which are part of the National Grid. Npower provide my electricity and E.On provide gas. I want to find a provider that’ll offer better tariffs dual fuel. Bulb looked attractive and so I contacted them for clarification before starting the switch. I did this because I tried a switch to npower dual fuel in 2010 and the process stalled! I had to abandon the switch because npower could not provide the gas thanks to the independent pipeline the property has. The house was built in 1999 and is not rural so I am unsure why an IGT National Grid system was not used. I presume the builder of these 68 houses chose this route. The LDZ independent pipeline arrangement locks me in to E.On unless I can identify which companies will supply gas via a MPRN (Meter Point Reference Number) starting with ‘74’ and the. Do all of the Big 6 including npower now provide gas no matter how it arrives at the property? If not, which suppliers can I consider? Thank you in advance.

Hi Rob_Rambler

If you send your details over to the email shown on our page we'll be happy to look further into this for you.

Thanks

Jade :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • Thanks Jade,
    I have emailed nPower the details so you can look into the issue and see whether things have progressed since I was last informed you could not supply the gas.

• 2 weeks and still no reply re my post :undecided Apparently there are over 1 million gas supplies provided via an independent LDZ (local distribution zone) in the UK which is why I thought the forum may have some knowledgable people with experience re the query. Here's hoping somebody does. :)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 May 2018 at 4:08PM
    The majority of suppliers will supply you, probably far more than will not. This is how all IGTs work, they pipe up a development and can charge suppliers a fee to supply gas to customers. Some suppliers will pass this on and others will absorb it. AFAIAA there is no such thing as an "independent LDZ", an LDZ is a distinct region for supply purposes, to be an LDZ they would have to have their own gas measuring stations and they are not going to go to that expense for each one they run.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585721
  • Many thanks for your comment & link which confirms from others what I recently discovered re: Bulb not supplying IGT's. The response I received from Bulb Customer Service is "Your gas is located in an independent local distribution zone, this is slightly different to IGT's (Independant Gas transporters). IGT's are part of the national grid system, however, before NEXUS, they had higher and different charges. Independent, local distribution zones aren't connected to the main grid and we're still unable to supply them. It tends to be only the bigger, regional suppliers that are able to take people on in these zones". They term my IGT gas supply an independent local distribution zone which is slightly different to a standard IGT.

Having read you comments and associated post via link by AndyJ52, I think my best option is to search the big 6 dual fuel tariffs and call the chosen supplier before committing. Having tried to switch before to dual fuel nPower and then be informed they couldn't complete it due my IGT LDZ, it was a total waste of time. At least I now know it's probably not worth considering the smaller operators but hopefully some of the larger suppliers will supply me. Thanks for the response.
  • alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My MPAN starts 74 - I've been supplied by, in no particular order: BG, EDF, NPower, EON (and whatever they used to be called too), First Utility & Bulb. The only one to make a fuss about the IGT status was NPower but they still supplied me. I think with NPower it's just more their system is moronic at times. It's well documented how much of a horlicks they made of their SAP installation. Most smaller suppliers will not care you're an IGT either. I've no idea what the LDZ bit you talk about is but the IGT aspect, at worst, may get you a slightly different rate / cost to a non IGT.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I confess that I am struggling to understand what the issue is re IGTs. Years ago, suppliers did charge extra for an IGT supply but not now. My last two properties have been with an IGT. I am currently with Zog for gas and Octopus for electricity. Pre Project NEXUS, I recall that Zog did ask me to confirm my meter details before initiating the transfer of supply. Apart from that very minor inconvenience, having an IGT supply has been an issue.

A quick look at the link below shows that there are a number of LDZs:

http://www.energybrokers.co.uk/gas/gas-network.htm
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    An LDZ has a specific industry meaning and the CV on your bill is specific to that LDZ. I haven't got a clue as to what Bulb are telling op, the whole point is that IGTs are not "on the grid" but on their own network taking a feed from a specific point on the grid.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thinking back to pre Nexus, I think that Bulb was one of a small number of suppliers that used to charge £100 extra per year for gas supplied by an IGT. It would seem that this particular IGT is not working within the NEXUS structure which makes any transfer of supply a manual process. For gas, if I was the OP, I would look at Zog.
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    edited 30 May 2018 at 7:16PM
    Many thanks for your comment & link which confirms from others what I recently discovered re: Bulb not supplying IGT's....

Well Bulb Energy used to supply IGT's ... and charged an outrageous extra £100 a year for the pleasure of doing so.

They then reported they were dropping the £100, since no one has ever charged anything like that amount, and in recent years gas suppliers don't charge any extra.
    (but not all the small ones will supply via an IGT.)

I wasn't aware that at the same time Bulb dropped their extortionate additional fee for serving via IGT's, they stopped supplying via them completely.

nPower, by comparison, used to charge an additional £10.50 pa. . They dropped their additional charge years ago ... before Bulb Energy even existed.

Have a look at Brilliant Energy.
    We recently moved from Zog to them as they were far cheaper for us (and that was before Zog put their prices up). However the tariff we got is no longer available to new applicants.
    You may not find Brilliant Energy on all comparison sites - I know they were not mentioned by MSE when we were looking.
    But certainly check the comparison sites too to see if there is a better deal available.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure