Pacific Coast Highway advice

2»

Comments

• cherabelle
    cherabelle Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you for all the wonderful advice so far.
    Do you feel the budget I mentioned is sufficient (£2800pp) for travel, accomodation, car hire and spending money seems realistic or so do we need to manage expectations a little more?
    I was hoping £1200ish for the trip then around £1600 as spends for 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for all the brilliant information so far.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    hollie.weimeraner Posts: 2,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 May 2018 at 4:19PM
    My road trip in September 2016:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k9891676-Trip_report_Sept_2016-Road_Trips.html

My advice would be to travel south on the Pacific Highway, that way you have the ocean on your nearside.

Definitely book your hotels in advance and independently.

For Monterey Lone Oak Lodge is brilliant and cheap.

As stated make sure the highway is open as it has been closed for landslides and also September seems to be the season they get wildfires which shut it for some time just before we travelled.

It was also very misty the day we travelled but didn't spoil the experience.

Must do's would include a whale watching tour from Monterey.

Oh and whatever you do do not leave your cars unattended with any items on display. All hire cars in the US have barcodes in the windows so stick out like a sore thumb for thieves.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Oh and whatever you do do not leave your cars unattended with any items on display.

If you are doing any of the national parks (Yosemite, Sequoia, etc), do not leave food, drinks, or toiletries in the car - Bears can and do rip cars open to get to anything with a scent, even toothpaste.

Bear-Mangles-Car-Left-With-Food-In-It.jpg

http://www.killsometime.com/videos/9156/Bear-Mangles-Car-Left-With-Food-In-It

Even a hardtop won't stop a bear.
    56a62661-c8cd-41b4-ac56-1d92ec1f1841-BearBreakin2.jpg
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 May 2018 at 7:31PM
    cherabelle wrote: »
    Do you feel the budget I mentioned is sufficient (£2800pp) for travel, accomodation, car hire and spending money seems realistic or so do we need to manage expectations a little more?

Thanks for all the brilliant information so far.

Now this trip was 9 years ago :eek: but we did it for less than £2k total.

Gas is now $3 per gallon. US cars do about 40 miles max to the gallon).

Motels can eb $50 per room and can be 4 bed family rooms.

Yosemite is expensive and needs to be booked NOW.

Food
    Fast food for breakfast and lunch can cut down costs.
    Go to Walmart for snacks\ hot chicken and beer for an easy hotel room dinner.

2nd trip
    £3k per couple
    Not west coast but an example of costs for 3 weeks on the road.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Budget question is a difficult one, because it really depends on what you want in terms of accommodation etc. Good thing is that so much accommodation is available in the US, from budget to fantastic. Not sure if its just me but the last couple of years it seems to have got a bit more expensive for hotels over there - especially in big cities. The exchange rate is obviously one reason for this.

I think you need to be looking to budget £550-£700 for flights. From your £1200, that leaves £500-650 left for accomodation. If you go for 18 nights (for example) that's £28-36 each per night. That's not impossible, but you might need to up it a little - especially in the big cities. You still have car hire to go on top of that too.

Spending - £1600 over 18 days is around £90 a day which I think is reasonable Some days you'll spend more than others obviously, but the US is as cheap or expensive as you want it for eating and drinking. Park tickets will have a little dent in that budget.

A good thing to do is to make a spreadsheet or similar with a rough idea of an itinerary and price it up for this September - that'll give you an idea. Although the it's a bit late for the cheapest flights for this September - as well as early booking rates on some hotels - but again gives you an idea.

In terms of tips for the trip:

- If you want to Stay in Yosemite, you'll need to book early as accommodation there is very limited. It's all controlled by the National Parks Service too - it's not particularly cheap. There are towns just on the edge though which make it more doable.

- Hearst Castle is definitely worth a visit if you have time. It's not far off PCH about half way between San Fran and LA. Takes a couple of hours.

- Another poster said they found the LA-San Diego stretch uninspiring. I very much liked it - but that's the joy of travel! The drive itself is pretty mundane, but there's a few nice places along the way. San Clemente was a great lunch spot, Oceanside was lovely - spent a night there.

-San Diego is fantastic - allow time for Mission Bay, Coronado and Downtown!
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    cherabelle wrote: »
    Thank you.

I assume it's really easy to find decent accommodation at a decent price out there then?
    I know if we got our flights in October when they are released we would get them for a good price so that's not a problem, i've just never done the who no hotel in advance thing.

Never heard of National Parks danger programmes before, I shall have a look into that.

Thanks for the tip re LA and Seattle.

It's more the sights than the drive, hopefully the itinerary we've planned means we'll see some pretty cool places but always open to suggestions.

Thanks

I can't spell.....the National Park Danger programmes are probably banned due to health and safety.

Therefore I will re-recommend the ranger programmes.
    :D

We did the Seattle to San Diego trip a few years ago. Can't remember how much it cost but it wasn't mad.

Further north the sights of Lava Beds National Monument, Lassen Volcanic Park and Crater Lake are amazing.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Costs in California are much higher than the US average.

We spent a few days in LA on our way elsewhere, and then stayed again on our way home. We did this in order to see the Griffiths Observatory/Park, the Hollywood sign and Mulholland Drive trips, the Paramount Studios, Melrose Drive and Beverley Hills, and buy some clothes. Nothing was inexpensive.

Our hotel was $200 a night with breakfast and parking, so good value by LA standards. Meals were the same price as the UK but - and this is the killer - you have to factor in the obligatory 20% tip, so eating out is more expensive than in Europe. The jeans (Levis) were marginally cheaper than the price at Costco, but all the styles were on display so we bought some anyway.

The rental car business is a bit dodgy, with the salesman saying your preferred car isn't available or would you like an upgrade (at extra cost of course). You also have to pay extra for standard things like sat-nav, and the cost is out of all proportion to the actual car rental. If you are a confident driver, you might not need one; we used to live in the US and thought we'd be OK without one, but opted for it on our second visit three weeks later. (We'd actually been in Baja California -which is part of Mexico, where the driving standards are legendary, but we felt more at risk in LA than anywhere on our Mexican road trip).

I hope this doesn't sound too negative. Go anyway and enjoy your holiday, just be prepared to spend much more than you think. As for accommodation at $25 per night, even campsites cost more than that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure