Leaving one of my jobs before bankruptcy

I quit one of my part time jobs this month as my husband is now earning more and I'm going to focus on building up my own self-employed work. My last pay date will be the end of this month and I'm thinking of submitting my bankruptcy application around the same time.

Now I'm wondering if it would be best to wait until the end of next month to submit the application, so they can see that I'm not receiving that income any more. Or if they will just believe me when I tell them? Anyone got any idea?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    If the only question is proof you have finished working then the P45 will be evidence enough.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi chickpeaz

My advice would be to simply submit the application whenever it suits you to do so - for most people, that will be at the earliest opportunity once they have the fees cobbled together and are good to go.

Regardless of your working arrangements at the precise moment point you take the plunge, it'll just be a matter of informing the Official Receiver's office of any changes in circumstances as and when they occur.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi chickpeaz

My advice would be to simply submit the application whenever it suits you to do so - for most people, that will be at the earliest opportunity once they have the fees cobbled together and are good to go.

Regardless of your working arrangements at the precise moment point you take the plunge, it'll just be a matter of informing the Official Receiver's office of any changes in circumstances as and when they occur.

Dennis
    @natdebtline

But timing is everything.

If OP went bankrupt and kept the job going initially, they could get an IPA even for a month or so. Then reporting a change of circumstances would result in the IPA being reduced to zero. But the IPA would stay in existence along with reporting requirements for 36 months.

If OP gave up this job then went bankrupt and that meant no IPA, they would only get an IPA (and the associated 36 months monitoring) if they earned enough to be given an IPA during the year of bankruptcy. After that they would be free to earn as much as they wanted after discharge.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • roughsea
    roughsea Posts: 87 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I also had 2 jobs and a large wage and told the OR in the meeting I was going to leave one job and go part-time on the other and take a break due to stress.

OR can not make you work and to be fair bankruptcy is a clean slate and why should you carry on paying part of your wage or the next 3 years.

I'm now discharged and happy days
  • chickpeaz
    chickpeaz Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    silvercar wrote: »
    But timing is everything.

If OP went bankrupt and kept the job going initially, they could get an IPA even for a month or so. Then reporting a change of circumstances would result in the IPA being reduced to zero. But the IPA would stay in existence along with reporting requirements for 36 months.

If OP gave up this job then went bankrupt and that meant no IPA, they would only get an IPA (and the associated 36 months monitoring) if they earned enough to be given an IPA during the year of bankruptcy. After that they would be free to earn as much as they wanted after discharge.

Thanks, yes that's what I was thinking. Better to quit the job first and have a clean break so everything's clear and reduce the risk of an IPA.

Ironically on the same day I handed in my notice, my husband lost his job. So now we don't know what's going to happen income-wise and I'm reluctant to submit my application now when everything's so uncertain...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure