MFW Diary - Take 1!

Comments

• Now GG, I've lent you a massive hat with a veil, you've got HDK telling you blonde jokes, MRN valiantly checking you've had a spot of lunch to keep your strength up - how could you ever think we're not supportive.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Tilly x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,571
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Fine. You lot feel fed up and I get called on to cheer you up. I get seriously disfigured and you all line up to laugh at me super-sad.gif.

Sorry must be that big BRIGHT red target on you:p
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Nov 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £1500/7000

Mortgage balance: £53705

• Calfuray
    Calfuray Posts: 1,003
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    You guys make me giggle :rotfl:
    Hi Cal, I have loads of thoughts in my head for how to handle these guys but brain too tired to form sentences tonight. Not sure whether this will help - but its likely to be true :)

You must be like a shining light of intelligence, ability and right attitude which the others are struggling with. Focus on the fact it's a project with an end date and you are streets ahead of them all, on numerous levels.

I can pretty much guarantee that those in the know, will see where the strength, determination and knowledge really lies.

There are always people wanting to take credit for other people's efforts, or doing the bear minimum and implying they did tons - inside though, they really do know how limited they are.

Sleep well this weekend and hope you get some downtime with OH.

Best wishes Tilly x x

We need GG to pop by with her penguin pic - never fails to lighten my mood.

Thanks Tilly. I hope even a bit of your compliments is true! :o
    Bless you Cal, it is frustrating when you feel like your the only one hard at it, I used to work for a small team and it drove me bonkers, I refused to drop my work ethic though and I'm sure they were better thought of.

Thanks HDK. I haven't dropped my work level - sure it's made me enemies, but oh well!
    Poor Cal - hang in there!

One of the worst things about group working is that it doesn't get any better :D

Granted, if you're surrounded by a good bunch that you can get on with (and respect), it can work out well. Most times, however, you're left babysitting the ones who just don't get it or making up for the ones who can't be *****

I have to say my worst experience of group working was actually on a postgrad course, the garbage some people thought was passable work :rotfl:

Hot bath and an early night might help :)

Thanks Ed. Early night made all the difference!

And ouch. What postgrad did you do? But yes, that's what gets me the most, how can they think what they do is acceptable? Bah.

£53.60 OP made, £50 as a reward for all assignments being handed in, and £3.60 as a TT.

Last thing to do over weekend is for a presentation on Monday, worth 15% of grade. Eek. I really need to start it tonight :(
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,450
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have a postgraduate Diploma in Information & Library Studies.

At the time I went into it for terrible reasons (a romantic fantasy of migrating to Canada and naff all skills gained as an English Literature undergrad), but it turned out to be a great step. I walked into a job paying 30% more than my then shop job before I had even graduated and I had doubled my salary (from the shop job) after another year.

Vocational qualifications for all! :)
  • Calfuray
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    edited 25 November 2013 at 5:45PM
    Oooh, sounds interesting Ed. I've always wanted to do a Masters or PhD since I love education, but like you point out it's skills. Right now I wouldn't be able to walk into any normal computing job because there are so many skills and languages I don't know etc.

Last graded work today, presentation. Ended up motoring through without looking at notes - good in one way, but think I missed points. At least it's over. Don't know when we'll be getting the grades back.

So that's all assignments completely done, now, revision time. Just over a week and a half until first exam and feel completely unprepared. My usual revision method gets good results, but is time consuming. All 3 exams are within 6 days, so need to make up a plan of how to tackle this quickly. Semester officially finishes on Thursday, less than a week til first exam so can't least it til semester is done! It's been a quick one, always is. Plan to do quite a few things over winter break, which I guess I'll talk about more once exams are over.

Money wise not so good, long hours and bad preparation has meant a LOT of coffees and sandwiches at uni, adds up very quickly...
  • Calfuray
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    In a pensive, spendy mood right now. I just want to go on holidays and do up my house. In all seriousness though, lived in this flat for 4 years and only managed to get the bathroom done. Don't know if it would be cheaper for workman to do everything at once or one room at a time. Just want a warm, pretty home. Le sigh.

First exam on Thursday, still don't feel prepared. Studying doesn't seem to be sinking in, and it doesn't feel real that it's in less than 72 hours.

90p TT extra for November. £148.15 for December. Waiting on mortgage balance updating to change sig and update MFiT thread. Will be down to £53,000 bracket when this happens. Now part of the 'Slightly behind' group on MFW 13 :(
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,464
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Cal

I wanted to de-lurk to say hi and say...no need to beat yourself up. I think you should remember that you are still 'slightly ahead' of anyone who hasn't had a LBM and working towards being MFW. :T You are doing great! Everything really does count - no matter how large or small

BW :)
  • toerag33
    toerag33 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Hi Cal

I read this last night but couldn't think of any words to write - brain dead! BookWorm has it right. You are so ahead by just wanting to be MFW and doing something about it. The Tilly Tidies make a huge difference speaking from my own experience. Studies are VERY important and that is the priority for now. Under these circumstances what you have achieved is amazing. One room done which is a bathroom and is expensive in 4 years is actually very good.
    My circumstances are different but I wish I had had my thinking cap on when I was younger.
    I have a friend who we are emotionally supporting on an interest free mortgage who is on borrowed time. I have spent the last few years trying to explain the mortgage is a debt which needs paid.... Now when the prospect is looming of losing her home is she semi-understanding. She is in her 60's.

Streets ahead Cal!

xxxx
  • Calfuray
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Thank you BookWorm and toerag. I seem to go through cycles of being positive and negative. Oh well. Onwards and downwards.

Bad news first: Got part of my grades back. The stuff I did individually, I got a good grade for. The stuff we did as a group, got the lowest grade I've ever achieved in university so far. It means that for my final grade to come out as my usual standard, the exam and second part of the assignment will need to average out at 90%+. I don't think this will happen, so for the first time in university, I will not get a First grade for a module. And this is the first one that counts towards my degree. Have cried a river today, but will just need to do my best in exam.

Have amended DD for mortgage, so there will now be automatic overpayments of £148.15, on top of which I will try and do my usual TTs and £100 a month that I aim for. This should help us for the future.

Interview for an internship on Monday, and other forms to fill in. Had to buy some 'business wear', hope it's business-y enough. If I do get a paid internship, this will be money I wasn't expecting, so I'm thinking... maybe I could do up a room or two? :D Also, once any dates are confirmed if I have work, then I can book honeymoon.

Exam for aforementioned subject tomorrow, 9am. And it's meant to snow. Boo!!
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,450
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Cal, Cal, Cal :)

You are a massive over-achiever and while I like it, you're streets ahead of your peers and you obviously put in the effort all the time.

A tiny fraction of people achieve a first and you are in tears over not getting the mark for one module? Come on, please don't be so hard on yourself.

While comparisons aren't always helpful, I've got a 2.1, no real ability at planning my career and seem to be doing ok. You're younger, have a mortgage that's a fraction of mine, are motivated up the wazoo and have someone you love (happy every day that I can say that as well).

So glad face and confident boots on, you've got an internship to interview for :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure