IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC windscreen ticket with disabled blue badge

Options
Joolsman
Joolsman Posts: 13 Forumite
edited 10 May 2018 at 12:06PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Morning,

I'm writing on behalf of a driver who has a disability and a blue badge. In January '18, the driver parked in a blue badge space in a West London hospital carpark as the driver had an appointment. The driver bought a parking ticket and displayed it in the window. The driver also displayed a blue badge, but unfortunately it slipped off the dashboard and fell to the floor. The full badge with timer was still on show, but on the floor. The driver got a parking ticket from UKPC.

I have followed all the great advice, contacting PALS at the hospital asking if they would intervene and cancel the ticket. They declined. I waited the recommended number of days and contacted UKPC using the template letter. They refused to cancel the ticket but have offered 'as a gesture of goodwill due to having a valid blue badge, a reduced fee of £15'. They also gave a POPLA code.

My question is please, should the driver pay the £15 or should I complain to POPLA on the driver's behalf. I'm very happy to do this. However, I'm unsure of our odds of winning at POPLA.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

J

Comments

• twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    what was the date of the incident , and when you appealed , did you admit the drivers name , as in "I did this I did that"

or did you take advice and say "the driver did
  • Joolsman
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    The date of the incident was January 2018, it's taken them this long to reply.
    I wrote a letter using the advice of naming only 'the driver'.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Joolsman wrote: »
    I wrote a letter using the advice of naming only 'the driver'.
    Do you mean you said "the driver did this, that and the other" OR did you actually name the driver?
  • Joolsman
    Options
    Sorry.....I wrote 'the driver did this', 'the driver did that'. I did not name him.
    He is not the registered owner of the vehicle but UKPC must have applied to the DVLA as they have now the name of the owner.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    ...... DVLA as they have now the name of the owner.
    Well, I guess they have the registered keeper's name.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    @OP

You know not to reveal who was driving

You need to edit your op to remove details of who was driving

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you
  • Joolsman
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    @OP

You know not to reveal who was driving

You need to edit your op to remove details of who was driving

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you

Thanks, have done so in the post.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry.....I wrote 'the driver did this', 'the driver did that'. I did not name him.
    He is not the registered owner of the vehicle but UKPC must have applied to the DVLA as they have now the name of the owner.

They have the keeper's name.

You should advise the keeper that in all correspondence he should never reveal the driver.
  • Joolsman
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    They have the keeper's name.

You should advise the keeper that in all correspondence he should never reveal the driver.

Thank you, yes have done that.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When you said the hospital declined, what did you say to then , and what did they reply with?
    are you familiar with the NHS parking principles for staff, patients and visitors?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure