Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • George.jh
    • By George.jh 12th Feb 18, 7:08 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    George.jh
    Work blaming me for something I couldn’t avoid!
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:08 AM
    Work blaming me for something I couldn’t avoid! 12th Feb 18 at 7:08 AM
    So I wake up at 5:30am for work get read to leave and gone by 5:50am to where I get picked up by a colleague which my work place know about as they arranged it. Unfortunately he never informed me he wasnted going to be in on that day. So I waited until 6:30 which is when I start work and decided to walk back home, once there I called my boss and she’s saying it’s my fault and it’s my responsibility to get to work and won’t let me have it as a holiday? Firstly I know it is my responsibility but when the person that takes me to work doesn’t turn up what can I do? I called family and friends but they were either asleep or at work. If I knew he wasn’t coming I would of arranged a lift not walk to the pick up point and wait for half hour.

Where do I stand or is my boss right even tho considering the circumstances I was in ?

Thank you
Page 2
    • redpete
    • By redpete 12th Feb 18, 2:19 PM
    • 4,257 Posts
    • 3,785 Thanks
    redpete
    Dont know why they wouldnt let hou take holiday, what's the alternative - unpaid leave? That way they lose your time and work twice (you would still have the holiday due).
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 12th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 3,892 Thanks
    JReacher1
    Dont know why they wouldnt let hou take holiday, what's the alternative - unpaid leave? That way they lose your time and work twice (you would still have the holiday due).
    Originally posted by redpete
    Alternative would be "unauthorized leave" which could lead to disciplinary action.

It sounds like this is something the company want to do with the OP as this whole scenario sounds a bit odd.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Feb 18, 5:10 PM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 5,438 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Alternative would be "unauthorized leave" which could lead to disciplinary action.

It sounds like this is something the company want to do with the OP as this whole scenario sounds a bit odd.
    Originally posted by JReacher1
    It certainly does seem odd that the company wouldn't allow the OP to use a day of their leave to cover this, assuming they had leave available to take.
    The OP hasn't said the scenario of not turning up because of no lift has happened before but, if it had, it could be management making the point that if they don't turn up for work they get no money.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 12th Feb 18, 5:44 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 3,916 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    it could be management making the point that if they don't turn up for work they get no money.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Suspect this is exactly the point that's being made, and being a pretty simple explanation, is probably the right one.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    • 16,753 Posts
    • 9,934 Thanks
    motorguy
    It certainly does seem odd that the company wouldn't allow the OP to use a day of their leave to cover this, assuming they had leave available to take.
    The OP hasn't said the scenario of not turning up because of no lift has happened before but, if it had, it could be management making the point that if they don't turn up for work they get no money.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    It doesnt sound odd at all - its a very good way of ensuring the person doesnt do it again.

I'd say they've either had this before with the O/P or other employees and letting people take it as A/L just means you've an uncontrolled situation when it comes to people not turning in because there is no consequence for them.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 5,438 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Motorguy, I said it was odd as under normal circumstances taking a days leave to cover unexpected absence is pretty standard. I also said that if it had happened before this stance was more understandable.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 12th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 32,192 Posts
    • 19,351 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I suspect the real issue here is related to why the lift giver did not say on Friday(assuming it regular each way weekly work or the last lift) "by the way I am off Monday".

Given this was organised by the employer I wonder if the lift giver is not 100% happy with the situation.
    • sulphate
    • By sulphate 12th Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 3,374 Thanks
    sulphate
    You need to be proactive and take responsibility for the situation. The phone call to your boss should have been !!!8220;Hi, I!!!8217;m so sorry but X who gives me a lift to work, isnt in today and I didnt realise until just now. Im going to get a taxi/cycle/find another way to get to work and i!!!8217;ll be in as soon as I can, and i!!!8217;ll make the hours up when you would like me to.!!!8221;

You just ringing your boss and saying you wont be in all day because your lift didnt show makes you look lazy and unreliable.

It would be like me saying Im not turning up to work all day because my car wont start - not something I can control but still my responsibility to sort ASAP and keep my boss informed.

You need a backup plan. 40 minutes really isnt that long of a cycle ride, my boss does exactly that daily.
    Last edited by sulphate; 12-02-2018 at 7:36 PM.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Feb 18, 8:01 PM
    • 20,340 Posts
    • 16,110 Thanks
    agrinnall
    You could have a look to see if there is a Wheels2Work scheme operating in your area.

http://www.wheels2workassociation.org/
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 12th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 20,161 Posts
    • 33,392 Thanks
    Spendless
    Don't you have a mobile phone? I'm just curious about why you walked back home at 6.30 and then rang your boss from there.

For me the sensible thing would be to ring your lift giver after they were 10 minutes late, to make sure they weren't stuck in a traffic jam or had broken down etc.

On learning they were off, phone your supervisor straight away to say what had happened.

You also need to make sure you have enough money squirrelled away for an emergency such as this is, so please start saving, so you would be able to afford the next step of ringing for a taxi.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 14th Feb 18, 10:22 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Les79
    Thank you all for the reply!!!8217;s, currently where I work to where I live is 40 minutes away cycling. I used to cycle but unfortantley it was stollen so my work place arranged the lift as they also didn!!!8217;t want me cycling due to distance and bad weather. Bus isn!!!8217;t an option and and first week of the month the whole wage goes on bills so taxi wasn!!!8217;t an option. I genuinely had no way of getting to work.
    Originally posted by George.jh
    Find a job closer to home then, or which pays more. OR go and get a car/125cc moped (you don't need a driving licence for a moped, only a provisional and its cheap).

Never understood why people got jobs in places where they can't access.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Never understood why people got jobs in places where they can't access.
    Originally posted by Les79
    It may be because there are no suitable jobs in the places they can access and moving closer may not be feasible.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 14th Feb 18, 4:30 PM
    • 1,110 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Whilst I agree it's the employee's duty to get to work, it does seem a little unfair given that you were honest by phoning work up when you could have easily claimed sickness.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 14th Feb 18, 4:40 PM
    • 2,941 Posts
    • 4,345 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Whilst I agree it's the employee's duty to get to work, it does seem a little unfair given that you were honest by phoning work up when you could have easily claimed sickness.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Well, yes, but waiting till 6:30 (start time) to then walk home and only then to phone and let them know their lift hadn't shown and they wouldn't try any other means of getting in?

If they had phoned earlier, when it became obvious that the lift wasn't showing then something may have been sorted for them.

Also it would have at least given the employer a chance to organise their workforce in advance instead of only realising they were short of labour when the sift started.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 14th Feb 18, 10:41 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Les79
    It may be because there are no suitable jobs in the places they can access and moving closer may not be feasible.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Ok, but how is taking a job which you can't access the solution to this problem?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    • 31,918 Posts
    • 20,102 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Ok, but how is taking a job which you can't access the solution to this problem?
    Originally posted by Les79
    Maybe the OP sold his car for some reason, was banned, car was a write off as it was in an accident, OP moved to where is now so he could be nearer a family member.

Until the OP comes back its all speculation really.
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 15th Feb 18, 7:05 AM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 4,632 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    So I wake up at 5:30am for work get read to leave and gone by 5:50am
    Originally posted by George.jh
    I agree with everyone else and also....ewwww! 20 minutes to shower, breakfast, clean teeth, do hair?!

Also, a 40 minute bike ride is really not that onerous - even in the rain. I ride every single day, come rain or shine.

OP, you have no right to have it allocated as a holiday.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 15th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 3,892 Thanks
    JReacher1
    I agree with everyone else and also....ewwww! 20 minutes to shower, breakfast, clean teeth, do hair?!

Also, a 40 minute bike ride is really not that onerous - even in the rain. I ride every single day, come rain or shine.

Originally posted by Lioness Twinkletoes
    I’m fairness 20 minutes is about what I take in the morning. I don’t eat breakfast at home and I’m bald so I only need to shower, dress and brush my teeth. 20 minutes is more than enough time!
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 15th Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    • 6,127 Posts
    • 11,529 Thanks
    GwylimT

Originally posted by Lioness Twinkletoes
    Shower, 3-4 minutes, 5-6 if I wash my hair.
    Teeth, brush 2 minutes, floss about 1 minute.
    Dried naturally while brushing my teeth so put some deodorant on and get dressed.
    Moisturise face 30 seconds.
    If it is a beard trim day add 2 minutes.
    Comb hair.
    Put porridge and water in bowl, microwave for 3 minutes.
    Eat porrdige.

In the morning I get up at 6:40, my kids wake up at 7am, the above is always done with time to spare.

I don't think a forty minute bike ride is a biggie either, the only thing that could prevent you doing this is not having a shower available at work.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 15th Feb 18, 10:40 AM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 4,145 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser

I don't think a forty minute bike ride is a biggie either, the only thing that could prevent you doing this is not having a shower available at work.
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    Depends what you do, of course. If it's a "dirty" job then not having had a shower in the morning after your bike ride doesn't really matter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,381Posts Today

7,011Users online

Martin's Twitter