Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BadDebtor
    • By BadDebtor 8th Nov 18, 3:37 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 8Thanks
    BadDebtor
    How to change the pre-action Conduct for debt
    • 8th Nov 18, 3:37 PM
    How to change the pre-action Conduct for debt 8th Nov 18 at 3:37 PM
    Hi All

Can someone please advise me how I would go about getting the Pre-Action Protocol for debt changed.

As things stand now a debt collection company can take an aged debt and take you to Court to obtain a "back door CCJ" by sending the paperwork to an address you were at 15 years ago, even if the original owner and other debt collection companies have written to you at newer addresses.

The change I would like to see is that if a debt is more than 1 year old without any engagement from the debtor that they have to at least to a credit ref db search, which they do anyway once they get the CCJ.

Currently they are using this to extend debt from 6 years to 12 years by obtaining the CCJ without notice to the debtor, it then costs 250 court fee to get that CCJ lifted but the Court will not consider that unless one can show the debt does not apply.

I have been told that the Courts are actually wrong to do this, because in considering the set aside they are not supposed to be considering the worthiness of the debt but simply the matter of setting the CCJ aside on the basis that all the pre-action paperwork was sent to a wrong address that had not been resided at for 6 years.

There has been a massive increase of these Back Door CCJ's and the paperwork I have shows they get it for about 2 because they do it in bulk via Northampton.

I am guessing that it is the ministry of justice but was hoping that there might be a different organisation.

Any help would be appreciated, I would like to get a campaign going and get support from the debt charities.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Nov 18, 9:53 PM
    • 15,718 Posts
    • 14,783 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:53 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:53 PM
    Hi,

This issue is currently been looked at by the ministry of justice.

A formal notice of any change to the pre-action protocol will be made in due course.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • BadDebtor
    • By BadDebtor 9th Nov 18, 9:10 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    BadDebtor
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:10 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:10 AM
    That could take years, how can we speed it up, put pressure on them?

Do you have details of where it says it is being changed, who is running with the amendment?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Nov 18, 11:45 AM
    • 15,718 Posts
    • 14,783 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:45 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:45 AM
    Jane Wright
    Secretary to the Civil Procedure Rule Committee
    Justice Policy Group
    Ministry of Justice Post Point 3.31
    102 Petty France
    London SW1H 9AJ
    DX 152380 Westminster 8
    Tel: 020 3334 3184
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,783Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin